Cannot Access 192.168.0.1

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Cannot Access 192.168.0.1

I cannot access my Cisco DPC3825 wireless router. That is , the connection times out. No username/password prompted.

A direct LAN connection behaves the same.

Ping 192.168.0.1 works fine.

default gateway is correct: 192.168.0.1

Lastly, our household has used an unusual amount of internet the past few weeks (100G, normal 25G)...probably unrelated.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cannot Access 192.168.0.1

Personal opinion, if a router ever fails to allow me to log into the control pages, it receives an automatic reset to factory defaults.  You can do this manually by pressing the pinhole reset button at the back of the router for more than 10 seconds.  If you have your wifi SSID and Pre-Shared key stored somewhere that is easily accessible, reseting the router and reentering the details only takes a few minutes.  If you have any suspicions regarding your usage you should consider changing both the 3825 login password and the Pre-Shared key for your wireless network. 

If you don't use the following already, you should switch to WPA2 for the Wireless Security Mode, and AES for encryption.  Under the Wireless Basic Settings, set the Wireless Configuration to Manual so that it disables the Wi-Fi Protected Setup.   Under Security....Firewall, checkmark SPI Firewall Protection.. Enable...as well as Block Port Scan Detection, Block IP Flood Detection, and Block Anonymous Internet Requests.  If you don't need or use VPNs, under Security....VPN Passthrough, disable IPSec Passthrough and PPTP Passthrough.  Lastly, Disable Remote Management and UPNP in the Administration Management page.

When the changes are completed, reboot.  You can then log back in and create a restoration file that will enable you to factory reset the 3825 and reload the configuration very easily.  Under Administration....Back Up & Restore, select the Backup button to create a backup configuration file somwhere on your pc.  If you ever have to reset the 3825, going back into this page and reloading the config file followed by a reboot will get you back up and running withing a couple of minutes. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree 100% on what datalink says.

If you are having troubles accessing the interface.. you are best to do a factory reset.

And as he said... changing the wireless name (ssid), the key for it... will help ensure that no one else is on it.  Make sure its on WPA2.

And make sure, to change the password for the default interface for the login for the modem.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you both for the valuable information. As recommended, I did a hard reset. This allowed me to connect to the router. Made all changes recommended except I missed "disable Wi-Fi Protected Setup" and I could not find "Disable Remote Management and UPNP". Then I connected 3 laptops. I was able to log into the router several times within an hour. After that, I was no longer able to log into the router!

I did a second hard reset and started over. this time I  found and asserted  "Disable Remote Management and UPNP" and only have two of the laptops connected. Also I did a reboot this time and created a backup.  I did all this last night and I as still able to log into the router this morning. I will be monitoring connections and internet usage as well over the next few days.

Again, thank you again and I will be digging into this more.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks good so far.  Don't discount the possibity of malware on any of your pc's, laptops or phones.  I would run a scan with more than one anti-virus / anti-malware detection program just to ensure you don't have anything on the devices that shouldn't be there.  As a secondary program I use Marwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free).  I also use NetSpeedMonitor on my pc's and laptops so that I can check the individual usage on each device if I ever see the usage pop-up from its normal range:  http://www.floriangilles.com/software/netspeedmonitor.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I use a combination, including malwarebytes as well 🙂

Make sure/double check, well EVERYTHING.

Do you have anything like the linked skydrive/google drive and icloud, etc apps.. that they are not trying to do anything (maybe disable them for a day or two, then slowy add one back one by one, see if the usage goes up)

Check things like networkable hard drives, etc if you have them... had a friend blow through usage, as his networked drive, was trying to synck with his skydrive.. wasnt enough space, keep trying over and over and over, etc 😛

(not sure if kids are in the picture.. but check there too.. and not to say that they are not TRUSTWORTHY.. but check yourself, even if they say they are not doing anything.   A co worker, found out his kids, even though they said they were not doing anything.. was hosting a minecraft server.. and it did a good 300g that month mostly from that)

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for all the help. I will look into each machine and use some of the programs suggested. I will re-post as get I somewhere.

Regards

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, hope you can help with a problem I created. Got my Cisco modem/router yesterday, and rogers finally connected today. From other posts in different communities it suggests I set it in bridge mode and disable wireless. I was able to find these settings and did that., the modem did a 120 sec reset. Now I am unable to connect to the modem useing 192.168.0.1.   First question, is this expected and normal? I would like to access the modem and check the rest of the settings.

Do I have to now do a factory reset, and how long do I hold the reset button? Do I leave the modem connected during the reset?

Is there a way to have it in bridge mode and still be able to log in to the modem?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When the modem / router is set to bridge mode you lose all access to the settings.  In theory, at that point the device acts just like a modem......cable data in, ethernet data out, and your connection path will be Cisco Lan connection to Router Wan connection.  Your own router will then do everthing, from firewall, to local wired network and wireless network with their own specific rules and settings as determined by you. 

To reset the cisco 3825, hold down the pin-hole reset button at the back of the device for 10 seconds or more.  It will reset the device back to factory defaults and return to gateway mode, where you can then log into the device.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the information, I would have wanted to occ check router interface to check for signal issues etc (had poor signals about 2 months ago, had to have new cable installed from the street to the house).

I did a re-boot of my linksys router, is there anything else I should do?

On speed test on a eired desktop I get 15-20 down and 5 up. On the one laptop I tried I got 20-25 down and 5 up depending on the server I tried. I signed with Rogers for 30/6 package. I know that one usually gets a bit less than advertised, but I expected the wired desktop to be faster than wireless. I think, the desktop is pluged into the Linksys router, but it may be pluged into a switch, I need to check.

With Teksavvy I was geting 25 down and 2 up (as advertised) pretty consistantly on the desk top.

My linksys router has the same settings as my old setup, did not change anything. Any suggestions for speed or best general router settings?