Can't log in to CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can't log in to CGN3

You can switch the CGN3 to bridge mode yourself.  Here's a link to the instructions:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/Internet/home-networking/247

And, you should be able to use your router in bridge mode so that you can park it somewhere else in the house and connect via ethernet to the router.  Newer routers typically have a choice of operating modes, including, router and bridge modes.  If your router has it built in, it would just bea a check box in the settings.

Food for thought, if your house has strutured wiring which is a bundle comprising two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat-5e ethernet for data and one Cat-3 (possibly Cat-5e) for telephone, you can run data all over the house by completing the Cat-5e cabling.  That is another way around the problem of accessing the internet throughout the house.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

What I was asking can I use my third party router without bridging rogers gatway / modem ?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes you can.  That is the way i have MY setup.

CGN3, NOT BRIGED.. with all four ports in use.
2 going out to two seperate wired switches.. 1 out to the Rogers Home Security router.. and one out to my ASUS RT-N66U as an access point.

The ASUS does my WIRELESS.. but the CGN3 does all the routing, forwarding, etc.

As to HOW to set this up.. it will vary from 3rd party router to the next... some have an AP mode.. some are just turning off settings, etc.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

How can I setup mine. I have a netgear night hawk router would like you that as a access point with 3 Xbox pluged into rogers/ gatway is the any settings I need to do on third party router ?
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Sorry for the spelling, dumb iPhone always auto spelling
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Given the fact that your running three Xbox’s you might be better off running the CGN3 in Bridge mode and use the Nighthawk for your router, unless of course you have the three Xbox’s already up and running without any issues. I still believe that using the Nighthawk as the main router would be a better solution as you would hopefully get rid of latency issues with the CGN3 when it’s running in Bridge mode. That might be worthy of an experiment just to be able to compare the two configurations and see which one is better for gaming.

To set up the two devices with the CGN3 in Gateway mode, you would turn off both wifi networks on the CGN3. For the Nighthawk, you would turn off the DHCP server so that the CGN3 handles all of the LAN IP addressing, and assign an IP address to the Nighthawk that is outside of the range of the CNG3’s LAN IP address range. That will require you to take the Nighthawk IP address out of Auto Mode and manually assign an IP address.  Once done, that will enable you to log into the Nighthawk to make configuration changes in the future. That should do it I believe. Plug the Nighthawk into the CGN3 and reboot the Nighthawk. You should be able to log into both in the event that any changes are required.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Just bridged the cgn3 and using my own router called netgear night hawk ac1900 , did some speed test and I was surprised that the CGN3 gave me better speeds and was more steady on wifi and direct connect all firmware up todate so what can be the cause of this Realy thought a 3rd party router would give me better speeds the the rogers CGN3
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I'm trying to connect my CGN3 to my VOIP Obi110. I had some success with my previous Rogers modem router but I was told to "upgrade " to the CGN3. I have not managed to get anywhere with this modem! I thought and tried bridging the CGN3 with a cheaper D-Link N300 but all I managed to do is slow down my internet by half. Later I lost all use of Internet when trying to revert back. The frustration continues. Any help would be appreciated.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, your older dlink, might be SLOWER than the CGN3 in wired and wireless means.. so that could have done that.

(especially if your CGN3 hasnt updated to the new 4.2.4.5 firmware.. the router would have hit the 10/100 bug with the previous firmware)

All in all, i would at min, start be reverting your CGN3 to FACTORY.

There should be a little pin hole in the back.. depress it for a good 20 seconds, let it fully reboot.

That should set it back to gateway mode, factory settings.

From there.. can move on to your other issues.

As for your VIOP..  the CGN3 NAT is pretty strict.. and seems to not directly play nice with most VOIP units straight out.
USUALLY they will work fine, as long as you set up the port forwarding rules specific to that device.
(you would have to find out what they are).

Alternatively.. IF you get a newer/more up to date router.. you can bridge it properly (and get full speed), which many play nicer with the CGN3

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I tried logging in using cusadmin/password. Didn't work. I'm trying to port forward for a Minecraft server. I have the Advanced Modem/Router. Please help!