Can't log in to CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Can't log in to CGN3

We recently upgraded to the Hybrid Fibre 150 internet package, and got the new CGN3. 

What I want to do is change the name of the network from "OnyxMagnolia", and, change the default password of the network, also if there is a way, get rid of the "Guest" network and the "5G" network? Not even sure what the 5G is.

But I can't seem to log in. Called Rogers support on the first day and they told me to hook up ethernet cord to the modem, which I did, and log in using the username "cusadmin" and password "password", same as it says on this page, which I did. It keeps telling me "Login Failed. Wrong Password"

What is it that I am doing wrong here?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can't log in to CGN3

Looks like.. you might have got a unit, which was NOT reset, before being given to you.

Best bet, would be to do a FACTORY RESTORE on it.

fine the little pin hole in the back of it, and press something into it.. hold it in for a good 20 odd seconds.

It will reboot, and then should be back at factory settings.

you then should be able to plug in wired, and log in via CUSADMIN and PASSWORD

Once in there, under the wireless settings, you should be able to change all your wireless names, password and settings.

The 5g listed.. there are TWO wireless frequencies that wireless normally runs on 2.4 and 5ghz.

Most common is the 2.4... which tends to have a slightly farther range as the 5ghz... BUT.. there are a TON of stuff like portable phones, bluetooth, microwaves, etc.. which all run on the 2.4ghz freqencies and can cause interfearance.
Its an alternate wireless network, you can connect to with a device which supports 5ghz.

**UPDATE**

Hey

For a quick guide on how to login to the modem and setup the wireless network, please click the following link.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If that is the name of the networks that you see on your laptop, it looks like that is a recycled modem.  On that presumption, depress the recessed Factory Reset button on the back of the modem for 10 seconds and then release it.  That will initiate a factory reset and reboot.  After the reboot, you should be able to log in with the "cusadmin / password" combination.  The 5g network is the 5 Ghz network, one of two that the CGN3 will broadcast, the other of course is the usual 2.4 Ghz network.  Did you happen to use the setup key at all?  Hopefully not, as the results cause more problems than that key is worth.  The key is used to setup a guest account, set up parental controls and name the wired network.  But, as I have indicated, don't use it.  Log in manually at 192.168.0.1 to access the user controls.  If after the reboot you detect a Guest account still broadcasting from the modem, call tech support to turn it off and have them also turn off the Home Monitoring SSID, in case its on and broadcasting.  Home monitoring has its own modem now, but used to run off of the internet modem.  If you need to monitor the modem after its up and running you can load inSSIDer onto a laptop and check out the networks that it is broadcasting as well as any other networks that might be running nearby.  It worth knowing that as it will explain any interference problems that you might encounter from other networks.  Here's the link:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I Plan to Stick Around

We have 3 people in this household actively using the internet right now. I brought it up with them and told them I'd be doing a factory reset on the modem and the internet might be out for a little while. Can you guarentee me that this reset thing won't do any damage and make me need to call in again?

Also, there are two frequencies, yes? We have two laptop computers, one smart TV, one Playstation 4, and three smart phones. Should I be connecting different devices to different frequencies? If so, which ones to which?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge here.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Damage? no.

It will require them to have to re-connect into whatever the NEW wireless name(s) are... but beyond that should do absoluetely nothing else.

There are many on here who have done the factory reset MULTIPLE times.

As for WHICH to connect to?

IF someone has a device which can SEE the 5ghz one.. and its showing a GOOD singal for it?
Personally, i would say to try it.. you might get less interfearance possibly from other things.

Otherwise, 2.4 should be fine..

(one thing, when setting it up.. and setting up the NAMES.. make sure to name the 2.4 and the 5 ghz networks DIFFERENT names... dends to play nicer with some devices.)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, look at it this way. Without the factory reset, you won’t be able to access the modem to make the changes you need to make. Normally it’s a trouble-free procedure. If you do run into problems, take the modem back and exchange it. Just let the reset run on its own and it will take three or four minutes to complete. When its done you will see the two wifi lights at the bottom of the front row of LEDs lit.

Frequencies, yes the CGN3 runs two networks, a 2.4 and 5 Ghz network. Note that the CGN3 wifi certificate does not indicate concurrent operation of both networks, which is rather interesting. Its listed as 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz – Switchable. I run the 5 Ghz network only from the CGN3 without any problems. Depending on the layout of your home, your device capabilities and potential interference from neighbouring wifi routers, you need to decide whether you want to run on the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz band for your devices. The 2.4 Ghz networks have a better range but may run at a reduced data rate compared to a 5 Ghz network. Due to the design of the 2.4 Ghz channel spacing, overlapping 20 Mhz channels can be seen from the bottom channel to the top, so that presents challenges when it comes to finding a clear channel to operate on. The 5 Ghz channels are 40 Mhz wide and do not overlap. And, given the fact that the vast majority of devices run on 2.4 Ghz, the 5 Ghz channels are usually wide open for use, unless of course you live in an apartment. My usual advice is to kick as many devices as you can up to the 5 Ghz band. Some may only run on 2.4, so there won’t be any choice there.   Those that run on a 5 Ghz band you should experiment with, as the trade off is potentially a slightly shorter operating range from the modem versus higher bandwidth, which gives you a higher data rate. Keep in mind the certification which doesn’t indicate concurrent operation, although I’m sure that many people run both networks at the same time. Only caveat is to name the networks with different names, so that the devices can display both networks and allow you to choose the network that you want to use. There are problems with networks that have the same name, where the device isn’t able to select the desired network on its own. So, keeping the names different makes that process fairly foolproof, or should I say device proof.

One of the best ways to determine what channel to use is to load inSSIDer on a dual band laptop, as I mentioned above. That program will show you both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks graphically, making it fairly easy to understand how many routers are nearby that could cause problems for you. You should see a marked difference between the number of 2.4 Ghz networks and the 5 Ghz networks that are nearby.

A couple points to keep in mind, combo modem / routers don’t have the greatest wifi performance. A good third party router with external antenna will give you better wifi performance and better control over features that you might need such as port forwarding. If you are going to use the 5 Ghz network, set the channel to 149 or higher as the output power for those channels is higher which should give you better range.

I Plan to Stick Around

OK - Success! I was able to log in and rename both frequencies and change the password for both the internet connection and the CGN3ROG login. Tested out the new connection on all devices.. Noticed that the 5G network is not showing up at the moment at all. Not a big deal at the moment I guess. The guest network IS still there. Is having that network there a problem? I notice that if we do try and connect to that, it brings you to the Hitron login and asks for a password. Which is good I suppose.

Thank you very much for all the help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

5g wont show up on your device, unless you have a 5g capable card in it (not all do)

Your not the first to mention with the stock now.. seems to have the GUEST network..

I dont think there is a way to change it from OUR login into the router.. you might have to call into rogers, see if they can remove it for you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only way to turn off the guest network is to use the USB setup key, which I strongly advise against (throw it out) or by calling tech support to have them turn it off.  While you are there, ask the CSR to also ensure that the Home Monitoring SSID on the CGN3 is also turned off.  When that is done, you should be able to look at the CGN3 network with inSSIDer, and only see two networks running, one 2.4 Ghz and one 5 Ghz, provided you have a dual band laptop.  Even with a single band 2.4 Ghz laptop running inSSIDer, you should only see one network broadcasting from the CGN3.  If you look at the MAC address of the networks on the network list, you should not see another MAC address that is almost identical to your network's.  The only difference would be the last right hand digit.  Those columns on the inSSIDer network display can be sorted up and down by selecting the top column title so that would make it easy to spot another network broadcasting from your CGN3. 

If either one of the networks is being broadcast you will see a corresponding LED at the bottom of the front LED display.  So by looking and observing that both 2.4 and 5 Ghz LEDs are lit, and not seeing the 5 Ghz network on your laptop, that would pretty well confirm that the laptop is not 5 Ghz capable.  If you drilled down to the Control Panel .....Device Manager and copied the adapter model and pasted it here, we can look up the specs to confirm it. 

Given the fact that this looks to be a recycled CGN3 that had been used with the USB setup key, if you have any problems with it, don't hesitate to take it back in and exchange it

I'm a Regular

When putting it in bridge mode can I do it my self or do I need to call in? Can anybody here help me on doing it me self. And one other thing can I use my own router as a wifi extender without bridging rogers modem and being able to still use there ethernet ports is there a way?