cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

434 REPLIES 434

Re: Can't create App password

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
How does 57 know that Rogers is working on a solution to its Yahoo problem? All the evidence I see is to the contrary. Why doesn’t Rogers publicly state what it has been doing over the past FIVE weeks to fix this problem. What steps have they taken with Yahoo and companies such as Microsoft re that company’s Outlook application or the company that owns and operates the Thunderbird email application? Has Rogers been working with other ISPs elsewhere in Canada, the U.S. or other countries with Yahoo-or without-to find a solution?

NO. The only response Rogers is giving to all of us is to tell us to use the Rogers Yahoo webmail!!

By not being open with its customers re this yet unfixed problem serves to create mistrust of and ill will toward Rogers. Instead of the constant, never ending spin, just be open and transparent with us-your customers.

eugenios
I plan to stick around

Yes i have the name of the technician who provided the information however i have been asked by my client to not post it publicly on this forum... If anyone want to know the name of this awesome tech then send me a message.

(removed external link - RogersTony)

murphypaul
I've been here awhile

I am running Outlook 365 on a windows 10 machine and the syncing stopped  when going through the acquiring a new password routine

on April 3rd .. 3 days ago when writing this note  The message was, and still is, 

: Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later  ...  I spoke to a tech .. after spending all sorts of time thinking I was . up ... told more or less its a problem on Rogers end  and I can see my email on webmail .. all well good but hardly the solution I am looking for  ... Can any one offer an idea as to when this maybe fixed ??? 

How do I send you a message?

@minazpunjani wrote:
How do I send you a message?

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

If what you're asking is how to send a message to @eugenios , simply click on his userid and follow the same instructions:

PeopleSafe
I've been around
This is absolutely crazy! Terrible support and zilch communication from Rogers for overpriced services.

eugenios
I plan to stick around

They can fix it by providing you with the app password themselves if you get the correct Tech. Seems that way as my client who uses their business services got the app password provided to him.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eugenios wrote:

They can fix it by providing you with the app password themselves if you get the correct Tech. 

Someone may have been "lucky" to have this done for them, however, for privacy reasons, this is not allowed and any passwords (like the Webmail PW)  should be temporary with you changing them to something else right away, which is not possible with the App PW.

DCbro
I've been here awhile

So in the past week I have lost access to all three of my emails because of the app password generator is no longer working.  I was forced to change my email password which in turn meant I would have to generate a new app passwords for my Outlook. I have had two of my emails for more than 12 years and I find it ridiculous that the only way I can look at new emails is from the web using yahoo.  I have been using Outlook and it makes me very upset that my continuity is now effected.  I don't want to use yahoo web to access my email.  You forced us to use this generator for our security and now it does not work.  When is Rogers going to address this issue  you are making your long term clients very angry.  Update us and give us some answers on either when this will be fixed or advise that we need to go elsewhere, don't keep us in limbo.  We all have side hustles  and don't have time to deal with your inability to give us proper information on issue which are effecting our lives.

jn00
I plan to stick around

I have noticed a minor change here:  Previously when you went to https://rogersmembercentre.com/ and attempted to generate a new password, you would get the error message "Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later."  As of today, clicking on the Generate button does nothing--no error message or password is generated.

So either they are working on in or they have removed the error message for some other reason.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I get the following message now:

App PW GenApp PW Gen

chdiamo1

Last night I was able to generate a password. BUT, it wouldn't copy and paste. So, I tried several times to enter it manually. Nope. It wouldn't work. So, I thought I'd call HP tech support this morning to see if they could get it to copy and paste using a newly generated password. But the system is down once again. Worse, the instructions given as of today tell us to generate a one time generated password!! Yes, all we have to do is use their webmail. What's the problem? Several. For one, many times the attached videos or audios won't download. And Rogers is getting the contract for the TTC!!

Pa_V
I plan to stick around

On my Mac, I was unable to see this pop-up using Safari.  I was, however, able to see it using Google Chrome.

Suffice to say that if Rogers took the time after a month to create this pop-up, a full resolution of this issue is unfortunately quite a ways away.....

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

I get the following message now:

App PW GenApp PW Gen

I'm getting this too, as of today.

I suppose we could take this as some kind of progress.  They've rolled out an update to the message.  That only took 35 days.  But it shows they acknowledge the problem and that someone is working on it.

So maybe a fix is in the pipeline.  Or maybe a fix will take more than 35 more days.  Who knows?  

They say patience is a virtue.  Roger's is just helping us become more virtuous 🙃

chdiamo1

I sent an email to Tony Staffieri's office asking that Rogers do what Cox does in the U.S., have its own email program based in Canada and under Rogers' control not some "partner". I also said I was considering writing to CNET and the CRTC. BTW, if you follow the instructions on their latest message, you'll see that we're referred to obtain a generated application password. CLUELESS!!! 

Pa_V
I plan to stick around

I know this is OT, but Rogers having their own email system could happen as a result of the integration of  Shaw's internet customers.  

Here's hoping that it does 🤞

DCbro
I've been here awhile

Outlook not working, but opened up the email app and am able to use it no problem.  So if you can't use Outlook anymore, but hate the webmail site, try the email app.  Ticks me off that Outlook is not working, but mail is, so going to work with it.  You don't need a app password to set up, just use the original password that you would use to get into your email using webmail.  🙂

chdiamo1

OT?

Pa_V
I plan to stick around
OT: Off Topic

fof9l
I plan to stick around

A month later and I'm having the same problem!  Their irrelevant offer to use webmail by logging on to their website is useless for me; I have six email accounts that I check every hour or so, and see them in one email application. The suggestion to use the web is just a load of rubbish, and if this is what Shaw customers can expect after the merger, I pity them all.

fof9l
I plan to stick around

Don't know if that Outlook issue is relevant, but this inability to generate a new password isn't confined to Outlook. I use Mailbird and I can't reset my account eithter, after it stopped working a week or so ago.

Rogers emails have been a problem ever since they joined up with Yahoo.