cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

410 REPLIES 410

Re: Can't create App password

eugenios
I plan to stick around

Just to dispel the myth that the rogers techs keep circulating that its an outlook problem it is a ROGERS ISSUE.

Lena0714
I've been around

Same here...I can't believe Rogers won't post something online.  It's been weeks...very disappointing that they can't fix (not acceptable)

Frustrated56
I've been around

I'm having the exact same problem. Rogers reps keep saying they are working on solution but I very much doubt that is truly the case. Not impressed with their work around. For Windows mail one can add a Gmail account to bring email to personal computer. You forward Rogers Yahoo email to Gmail account which can in turn be brought to Windows mail on your computer. 

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

57 ... These aren't solutions.  They are temporary workarounds at best.  And only partial workarounds at that, since they don't work at all for applications that only work through the IMAP connection -- such as MailStore (an email archiving utility).

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

Earlier I speculated on why it may be taking so long to fix this problem, based on my years of experience in engineering management at a software company.

We've yet to hear anything from Rogers, so I may as well go on speculating.  Another idea has occurred to me.

It's likely that Yahoo, which hosts Rogers email, does so under some license agreement.  There may also be some agreement that covers bulk access via IMAP, and which grants a license from Yahoo to Rogers for some sort of software enablement of that.  For example, a special license key generator that Rogers makes available so its users can generate keys that will be recognized by Yahoo during an IMAP connection.

If so, and that agreement expired, then we could be waiting on it being renegotiated.  Knowing the way big companies work, it's likely the expired agreement was a multi-year deal which everyone promptly forgot about until it expired and something broke.  Now they are scrambling to reinstate it, but Yahoo wants a new agreement and probably money.  No one budgeted for this, so now the decision makers are looking for someone to pony up the money out of their budget or as an out of budget expense.  That usually needs executive approval.  And a new agreement means the lawyers are involved.  Bottom line, these situations proceed at a snails pace.

I could be dead wrong.  This is pure speculation on my part.  But it would explain why the silence from Rogers -- nothing they could tell us in such a situation would be anything but embarrassing.  And no one internal is able to forecast when the legal and budgetary hurdles will be cleared.  My guess is the technical issue is easy and quick once the rest is straightened out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jgpuckering wrote:

57 ... These aren't solutions.  

I never said they were. My post was marked as a "solution" by a mod or someone else.  Obviously, Webmail is not a solution, but something you can use in the meantime to receive and send @rogers.com e-mails.

BTW, not everyone is affected by this (I'm not) and I don't know the number/percentage of people who are.  I always have a Gmail account as a backup and eventually I may migrate all my email accounts there.

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

Fair enough.  My comment, therefore, is properly directed at whomever has the authority to mark this as a "solution".  Maybe this site has only one category for "solution", but it should minimally have "solution" and "workaround" because the two are quite different.

I've been using Yahoo webmail on Windows to workaround the fact that I can't use desktops apps like Outlook or Thunderbird anymore. (Thank goodness the mobile Outlook app still works!)  But, I'm dead in the water as far as MailStore goes, and I need to do some archiving of not just my mail but someone else's too.

For years I've been considering moving off rogers.com email but it means changing the email addresses in a lot of web sites I use.  And with 2FA now, losing an email address tied to that can really make it difficult to regain access if you lose a password or just want to change a password.  But, if I go to the trouble of moving to a domain that isn't tied to Rogers or Bell (like outlook.com or gmail.com) then I regain the ability to switch internet providers without losing all my mail.

This event has definitely motivated me to switch off of rogers.com -- once I can archive my remaining email -- so that I have more internet provider flexibility in future.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jgpuckering wrote:

...Maybe this site has only one category for "solution", but it should minimally have "solution" and "workaround" because the two are quite different.

That's probably the way it is. Perhaps they could change it to "answer" and that way it's more nebulous.  😉  Some of these sites don't have a lot of customization available and this forum format has been disliked by many who are forced to use it, although Rogers were able to address a few of our dislikes.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/New-interface-for-the-Communit...

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

This solution assumes you can setup a Rogers email account on Outlook. I can't. And since MS Word must have Outlook to send a Word docx, not having Yahoo USA (Canada Ltd) provide its Canadian "partner"/dependent, Rogers, with a server to generate security passwords for apps, means no Rogers customer can setup or re-setup their Outlook or Windows Mail applications to work with Rogers email accounts. Soon it will be ONE MONTH that Yahoo USA (Canada) has ignored its junior "partner"/dependent Rogers and Rogers' customers. If you need anymore reasons to diversify your various providers for internet, cell phone service or cable tv, this is yet another example why no one should have all their eggs in the Rogers basket!! My home phone is Bell, my cell phone is Telus and my cable tv and internet is Rogers. Rogers is the ONLY  service provider to be consistently problematic in the long term. I repeat, the only problematic provider over time.

chdiamo1

Rogers tells everyone the problem is with Yahoo servers. You'd think Rogers would have the technical resources to fix this themselves, without having to rely on a company in another country-the U.S.-to fix it for them. The way to get this problem finally fixed is for Rogers to be sufficiently embarrassed, or perhaps to lose enough customers that they finally put enough pressure on Yahoo, or Bell takes enough customers from them. There seems to be no incentive for Yahoo USA to fix this problem for their comparatively few Canadian customers (via Rogers).

Bburton
I've been around

Having the same issue after a fresh Windows install.

Rogers is a garbage company. 2 weeks and they can't fix this?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1 wrote:

...since MS Word must have Outlook to send a Word docx

You can go into Webmail (Rogers/Yahoo e-mail via browser on the Internet), create an e-mail and easily attach a Word document (or anything else you want) to that e-mail.

chdiamo1
Thanks for that info.

chdiamo1
At least three weeks since this problem arose, soon to be one month!!

JNR51
I've been here awhile

It does appear that the problem is with Yahoo and Yahoo is ignoring the issue and Rogers.   More that two weeks is really not acceptable for this type of problem.  Should have been corrected withing 24 hours.  No response from Rogers.  No ETA for a fix.      Webmail is not a suitable option for a large number of business users.    Changing a business email is a pain, but I'm getting close to this.   And my email addresses are one reason why I never entertained switching from Rogers.  

eugenios
I plan to stick around

Yea interesting but we don't get services from yahoo we get it from rogers... i am not sure why it would take this long to develop a solution to the problem after all the Arrivecan app can be developed in a weekend.

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

JNR51 ... I'm not sure why you are so sure the problem originates with Yahoo.  As far as I can tell, and I've looked at the error info in both Edge and FireFox, it's the Rogers site that is complaining.  See below.  I also tried Chrome after clearing the browser cache -- same issue.

Forbidden: VersionHTTP/1.1

Transferred: 564 B (292 B size)
Referrer Policy: strict-origin-when-cross-origin
Request PriorityHighest

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://rogersmembercentre.coWrmcapp/setAppPassword" on this server.
Reference #18.bf7Ba17.1679505277.410ad5f

I think it's time the news media knew about this problem just like when Rogers had the system blackout when no one could access the internet and cell phones.

I don't like web based email like Yahoo and I paid a lot of money for Microsoft Office Professional so I could use Outlook, Rogers need to fix this ASAP.

jjcollins
I've been here awhile

To: Office of the President, Ombudsman, Management Office,

On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 09:42:22 p.m. EDT, JJCOLLINS wrote:
Rogers Member Centre and the requirement to generate a password in order to use email with an application is unnecessary.  It hasn't functioned in weeks and you have no ETA on a solution or answers for all the upset customers.
I would like 2 passwords provided or the requirement removed so I can continue using email on MS Outlook.  Webmail is not a solution.  It is inferior and full of advertising. 
Are you offering a discount on internet fees while this service is down?
On another note, it seems there is large amount of spam getting through now and you're also getting a bad rep with anyone needing to support VPN connections for your customers. 
I am unable to survive the long wait in line to cancel services so attempting to get answers here.

jjcollins
I've been here awhile

Maybe this will stop working too:

This is confirmation that we’ve enabled multi-factor authentication (MFA) on your account with the following contact detail(s):
Email Address :
Wireless Recovery Number : 
To protect your account, you may be asked to verify yourself by entering a unique one-time passcode (OTP) sent to your preferred contact method.

chdiamo1

Sad to say JJ, but it looks to me that Rogers has no intention of solving this problem. Let's hope that tech reporters for TV, newspapers and magazines, online and print, start reporting on this. Once Rogers starts losing customers, it might make a difference. Might.