Can't configure HP ePrint/Apple Airprint on Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Can't configure HP ePrint/Apple Airprint on Hitron CGN3

I just picked up the new Hitron CGN3 wireless gateway this weekend and I am attempting to configure my two HP LaserJet printers (CP1525nw and CM1415fnw) with ePrint/Airprint on this new Hitron CGN3.  I am able to create a wireless connection on my HP printers to my CGN3 and the connection is stable but when I access the embedded web server (EWS) on CP and CM printers I am unable to configure HP Web Services on these printers.  It comes back with "connection error.  check connection" when I try to enable it.  My Macs (mini and macbook) do not recognize these printers wirelessly either.

My previous Cisco DPC modem everything worked flawlessly (was able to enable HP Web Services and my Mac's recognized the printers) however with the CGN3 I am having these issues.  The wireless range/speed on the CGN3 is amazing (much better than my Cisco DPC) but I wish I could get HP ePrint/Apple Airprint working as well.  I don't want to go back to the Cisco DPC as my previous one I was having wireless issues with it and that's why I exchanged it for the Hitron and I am loving the wireless on it.

Has anyone else had success setting up HP ePrint/Apple Airprint on the Hitron CGN3 or is this a known issue with the Hitron CGN3 (perhaps resolved in the next firmware update?)

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can't configure HP ePrint/Apple Airprint on Hitron CGN3

So you are able to get them to wireless connect?

Your unable to go to the IP address that they are auto assigned? or is it after this point?

I have a 1.5 year old HP laserjet, with the airport printer.  I know i had issues intialy even getting the wireless set up.  Had to use the software, to have it go in and connect into my wireless.  From there, it got a DHCP address.  Then i printed a status page manually from the printer itself.. got the IP.. and then went to the web page.  It did come up... was able to go in and change the setting and enable all the stuff (as well as set a STATIC IP.. this would be recomended).
This was on PC though.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having this issue as well. Spent the better part of 14 hours to try to figure this out and can't get the AirPrint to find my photosmart D110. Some 10 phone calls today where either no one knows what I'm talking about or they want 50bucks to even attempt a look. Seriously frustrated since getting this CGN3 just a couple days ago. my previous box worked just fine with all my apple devices before the switch. Windows laptop works, but keep getting no AirPrint Printers found on my Ipad and phone.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm... Maybe there is something blocking the protocols on that unit Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

Is there a way to change or correct this situation if that's what is happening. I should say I'm fairly inept as it applies to the language and might need some hand holding. I should also say I'm fairly desperate to figure this out.
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I did the WPS set up on both the printers.  It is able to connect to wifi my home network through the Hitron CGN3.  Both printers are getting 192.168.0.17 and 192.168.0.25 private LAN IP addresses so I know it's connected (plus the blue light on the printers showing wireless connectivity stays "solid" meaning it's connected [if it flashes it's lost its wireless connection but it's solid]).

Next step is to access the EWS (embedded web server) on both the CP1525 and CM1415 by entering the private LAN IP address in a web browser (i.e. http://192.168.0.25) and configuring the HP Web Services (enabling and disabling it) and this is where I run into issues.  On the CM1415 I can do it directly from the printer itself but when I try to enable HP Web Services it comes back with an connection error message and for my CP1525 I need to set up HP Web Services (to entable HP ePrint) through the web interface (private LAN IP) and again through there I get a similar connection error message.

Researching this issue people were saying to switch it to a manual connection (instead of DHCP for the wireless) and entering a perferred/alternate DNS of 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 so it makes me wonder if it's a Rogers DNS issue with these new Hitron's?  I spent a while with a Rogers TechXpert  and he informed me it would cost $120.00 for an advanced fix.

My very first Rogers gateway was the SMC gateway and I got the HP CP1525nw and was able to set it up completely (enabling HP ePrint).  Then after that I got the Cisco DPC gateway (I bought the HP CM1415fnw) and again everything worked perfectly.  During that time I got my Apple products (Macbook, iPhone, iPad) and every still worked (setting up HP ePrint/Apple Airprint).  It was only this weekend after I switched to the Hitron that I am running into these issues with configuring HP ePrint/Apple Airprint.

The Rogers TechXpert told me he had better luck with the Cisco DPC gateway but I would like to stick with the Hitron because of the superior wireless experience I am getting although disappointed that I can't get HP ePrint/Apple Airprint to work on my HP's through my Hitron CGN3.

I've Been Here Awhile

Qdriver:  I'm curious to see if networking the printer (through the ethernet cable) directly to the Hitron CGN3 and getting an IP address that way instead of through the wireless will allow the enabling of HP ePrint/Apple Airprint? I have a switch (to extended the number of network ports I can use) so I am going to try both ways; plugged directly into the Hitron and/or through my switch.

Perhaps Gdkitty is correct in saying there is some protocol that is being blocked by the Hitron when on wireless with these printers and trying to enable/use HP ePrint/Apple Airprint?

I need to buy a longer ethernet cable but I'll keep this thread posted on how I make out.  Also sorry for the "tech speak".  LOL.  I work in IT so I know a thing or two Smiley Happy and I forget this forum is used by people who are a little bit less techy than I Smiley Happy

I'll let you know Smiley Happy  Stay tuned for further developments...

I Plan to Stick Around

Lol no worries it's all good buddy. Pretty computer illiterate but I manage 😜 but absolutely let me for sure what you find out. I'm kinda on the other side myself preferring the all the conveniences as we had before instead of this faster box. If I can't figure it out I'll likely be contemplating a service change one way or another.
I've Been Here Awhile

Qdriver:  I can live without HP ePrint/Apple Airprint.  It's a nice to have but with the wireless speeds I am now getting I can't sacrifce that Smiley Happy.  It would have been nice if it just worked like SMC and Cisco gateway.  I just want everything to work the way it did. (you, me and everyone else!  LOL).  You wouldn't expect changing one thing (to a newer better model) would break something else but that's the world of IT for you!  Hehe. I live this world, day-in-day-out Smiley Happy

I can still print on my networked Windows machines so it's fine but just a nice-to-have (well for me), however I am not switching back to the Cisco gateway after seeing my wireless speeds more than double when I am copying files from one machine to another across my wireless network Smiley Wink

Pehaps Rogers will address this issue in a future firmware update on the Hitron (the embedded software than runs the Hitron CGN3) if it doesn't work wired or wirelessly...keeping my fingers crossed it works one way or another.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wish i could help more.. as i have the SMC.. (and use a seperate router just as an Access Point).. and like you found it does work.

Without a hitron, cant test here.
Would give a try as was sugested, setting it to a static, etc...

Though seriously sounds like something is being blocked when it trys to enable it.

One other option in the long run, if you have got the new CGN3 for the range etc... you could always bridge with a 3rd party router, or use as an AP.. with one of the older model gateways.. and likely be able to run it.