cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

sann28
I've been here awhile

Just switched over to Rogers internet at home yesterday and now I cannot download any pictures or videos through wifi on WhatsApp

*Edited Title & Labels*

135 REPLIES 135

Re: Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

rishinair
I'm here a lot

Hi!
I'm a new subscriber to Rogers wifi. Over the last couple weeks, I'm facing difficulty in downloading media on WhatsApp when using wifi. As soon as I switch to my 4g mobile data, the download happens instantly.

I tried browsing through similar issues in the past and also tried troubleshooting with the tips given in those posts (changing ipv6 firewall settings)

None of them seem to help me address the issue.

What is the solution ?

Hello, @rishinair.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Indeed, it can be quite inconvenient if pictures and videos can't be downloaded when connected to the home WiFi network. 

To find a solution, we need to figure out the reason behind this oddity. Please answer the following: 

• As @-G- inquired in the previous post, do you have enabled Protected Browsing or Advanced Security?
  • Is this affecting only Apple or Android devices or both?
  • Is any other website or app affected?
  • Are you using your own router or any other network gear?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Hi Team Rogers,

1. I've not applied any advanced security settings. The only thing I did after looking into previous posts was to make some changes in the IPV6 settings. But unfortunately, that didn't help me.

2. As of now, it's messing up with my Android, especially while using WhatsApp where I'm not able to download images even 100kb size. I'm using Samsung S10.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rishinair wrote:
Hi Team Rogers,

1. I've not applied any advanced security settings. The only thing I did after looking into previous posts was to make some changes in the IPV6 settings. But unfortunately, that didn't help me.

2. As of now, it's messing up with my Android, especially while using WhatsApp where I'm not able to download images even 100kb size. I'm using Samsung S10.

When this broke the last time, Rogers did something to fix it on their end.  However, we still don't know what EXACTLY caused things to break or what Rogers did to fix the problem, or what weird things Rogers may be (or are) currently doing that could be causing applications to break in subtle ways.

@CommunityHelps  Could you please enlighten us?

@rishinair  It may or may not be a similar problem this time around.  However, you should not need to make any special configuration changes to get a mainstream app working properly.  Can you confirm that you are using only Rogers equipment for your in-home network connectivity?  If so, and if everything works EXCEPT when you use your home Internet, I would think that this would still point to a problem somewhere that Rogers needs to fix.

rishinair
I'm here a lot
Hi,
Yes, I can confirm that I use only Rogers internet for WiFi. As soon as I switch to my mobile internet, I can download the media instantly. But with wifi connected, it never happens.

I tried meddling around the settings as the earlier thread was marked as closed and it seemed to me that it was resolved for good. Turns out, it still isn't 😞

You might need to post, as on what device, what OS, etc you are using in which you are having issues.
Downloading from where, a webpage, etc?

At last count, I have over 200 devices on my network, betwen IoT devices, media devices, computers, phones, tablets, etc.
Across just about EVERY OS, (windows, MAC os, iOS, android, etc).
And none of them have any issues ever downloading something.

Hi @Gdkitty,

I've already replied this in a scattered fashion. Lemme compile it here:
Device: Samsung S10
Software: Android OS 11
Major problem observed ln: WhatsApp media download. Can't download smallest of files / audio / video when connected to WiFi. I've a large use of WhatsApp for personal and professional both. Hence, it is quite critical. For WhatsApp, when I switch to my mobile data ( Virgin), media download is a breeze.

Other devices : not found any issues so far.

Not at home so can’t log in to check the exact naming/location of the setting.
Logging into the modem, there are more settings than in the ignite Wi-Fi app.

There is a setting for sort of the restriction level of the firewall.
I wonder that it’s on the highest. And possibly to download the stuff from WhatsApp, it’s using a protocol or port, which for whatever reason the firewall is blocking?

Might be worth a try.

@Gdkitty,
I already played with the firewall settings based on previous posts. None helped resolve my issue

Greetings @rishinair!

I'd like to troubleshoot with you further and move towards escalating a ticket to have this investigated.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey