cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

sann28
I've been here awhile

Just switched over to Rogers internet at home yesterday and now I cannot download any pictures or videos through wifi on WhatsApp

*Edited Title & Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't Download Pics or Videos on WiFi

Hello, Community. 

We have received the good news that the WhatsApp pics/vids download issue has been fixed. Would you all please give it a try and confirm?

You may have to reboot the modem and or your phone. 

Thank you all for your patience!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

View solution in original post

135 REPLIES 135

RogersMoin

Hello, @sann28.

Welcome to Rogers and our Community Forums! 😀

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community; it can be quite disrupting not able to see images and videos in WhatsApp. Is it happening on more than one device?

What's the model of your modem? It listed on the product sticker either at the back or at the bottom. 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

orcaja
I've been around
I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution already?

Zohaib2
I've been here awhile
I am having the same issue its mostly on the smart phone devices. As soon as I switch over to LTE I am able to download the video or picture on WhatsApp. I have Roger's internet and at my parents house I am having the same issue and they have rogers as well as an ISP.

mandi40
I've been here awhile

I also have this problem.  Multiple devices, only on WhatsApp, can't download pics or videos.  They download on data, or on wifi at work, but not at home.  Just had Ignite installed last month, and it worked at first but stopped being able to download in the last 2 weeks or so.

Hello, @orcaja, @Zohaib2 & @mandi40.

Welcome you all to Rogers Community Forums! 😀

Thank you all for joining this discussion, we'd love to investigate the oddity of not able to download pics/videos while connected to the home WiFi network in WhatsApp. 

Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Cheers,

RogersMoin

AlexcB
I'm here a lot

Anyone with this issue, I *believe* I have found a fix for the time being.
If you login to the modems page with your computer(10.0.0.1), default login is admin, password
Go to firewall and IPV6, change it to custom and the offending setting is ICMP(The default setting blocks this, which messes with whatsapp from what I can tell), make sure that is unchecked. For security, block HTTP, multicast and IDENT.

This seems to have fixed this issue for me.

@AlexcB and anyone else running IPV6, you need to allow ICMP as its required for IPV6 ops.  So, its not just the particular modem that you happen to be using thats a standard setting for IPV6.  

Also note, to allow full IPV6 use by a Windows pc, you need to add a rule to the Windows firewall to allow IPV6 ICMP as indicated here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/allow-pings-icmp-echo-request-through-your-windows-vis...

I am having this same issue. Just replaced my modem thinking it was that, turns out it wasnt. Its  a CODA 4582U

rafaeel
I plan to stick around

Experiencing the same issue for the past 2 weeks or so. 

WhatsApp pics and images download fine on LTE but not on Rogers Wifi. I have toggled with ICMP settings too but that doesn't help. I have CODA-4582U as well.

For me its now intermittent, they will sometimes download, other times will not. If I switch to LTE it of course works, but also if I turn off lte and turn wifi off then back on so my device reconnects, the pictures/videos will load for a short while before stopping again. This is very odd behavior and something with this modem is causing it it seems...

Rnass083
I've been here awhile
I too have this problem with Rogers cable internet. I've had it for quite some time now. Photos and videos from WhatsApp don't download properly or timely. But it does at my friend's places who have Bell. Is there a solution?

pcheng603
I've been here awhile
I have the same issue. It started about a week ago. Rebooted the router and all the pods, didnt fix the issue.

Hello everyone!

A warm welcome to those of you who have just joined and are new to our community! And welcome back to those who have been here for a while! 😊👋

I also use WhatsApp quite a bit to keep in touch with friends and family and it's fun being able to share pictures and videos! I'd be super disappointed if I was unable to view that content too. 

As mentioned in @RogersMoin's post #6 of this thread, we'd really love to investigate this further to see what's going on. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Zohaib2
I've been here awhile
I contacted rogers support to advise them of issue and they started troubleshooting the modem as my internet was down. However after the troubleshooting the agent told me to contact WhatsApp support. Like its an issue with WhatsApp I have advised the rogers agent, how come this work on any other wifi which is not rogers and also works with LTE. The agent was ot understanding me and kept on saying to contact WhatsApp support.

@pcheng603 @Rnass083 @AlexcB @rchapti @rafaeel @Zohaib2 and anyone else that currently has this problem, please do the following on a pc/laptop that is connected to their modem/router:

1. Bring up a command prompt and type in the following:

tracert -4 instagram.com

Or type in the service address that you are attempting to use, such as Whatsapp or others.

2. When that trace is complete, type in the following:

tracert -6 instagram.com

Or type in the service address that you are attempting to use.....

3. Right click on the top title bar of the command prompt and select EDIT …. Select All

4. Right click on the top title bar and select EDIT …. Copy

Paste that into something like notepad or some text editor.  The IP addresses in the first trace will be the standard IPV4 addresses.  The IPV6 addresses in the second trace, if you’re not familiar with IPV6 are much longer and point specifically to the end device which in this particular case is the modem or target server.  

Please delete the very first IPV6 trace address which is the modem’s address.  That should not be posted in an open forum for your own security.  In order to fix this, the trace is required, but, you need to protect your online security as well.  

Copy the results from the text editor (both traces) and paste that into a post. 

If you notice that the second (IPV6) trace times out at the second hop, please run the following trace:

Tracert -6 www.google.com

Please post that result as well, with the first trace address deleted from the data.

Ok, at this point, if the target address for the second (IPV6) trace fails to resolve, or it times out at the second hop, please log into your modem. 

For the white CODA-4582:

1.  please navigate to BASIC …. Gateway Function tab.  The router mode will probably indicate Dual, as in use IPV4 and IPV6.  IPV6 is typically preferred over IPV4 by the user devices.  Change the Router mode to IPV4 and Save the changes at the bottom of the page.  It will take a couple of minutes to switch over to “IPV4 only”.  I usually run a router reboot as well whenever I do this:  ADMIN …. DEVICE RESET …. Reboot.

2.  When the modem switch over to IPV4 is complete or when the modem reboot is complete, reboot the device that you are using for the photos or videos.  If you have problems connecting to the internet with any other device at this point, reboot that device to ensure that its running IPV4 only.  By now it should.  You can live without IPV6 running.  Some users prefer to run IPV6, some don’t mind if IPV6 isn’t running, it’s a personal choice.

3.  Run a test on the device in question to see if you have full access to photos and videos as you previously had. 

For the XB6 modem that is used for the Ignite TV service:

1.  Log into the modem and locate the IPV6 Enable/Disable switch.  Disable IPV6.  I personally don’t know at this point if the modem does have an IPV6 disable as the Ignite TV service uses IPV6.  I don’t use this modem, so I’m assuming that the firmware coding staff were intelligent enough to include this and a reboot function somewhere in the user settings.  It might not be possible to disable IPV6 in order to determine if that action will solve the Instagram/whatsapp access issue. 

2.  Assuming that you find an IPV6 disable capability, disable IPV6, save the changes and reboot the modem. 

3.  When the reboot is complete, reboot the device in question.

4.  Run a test to determine if this has solved the photo/video access issue.

Please post the traces, indicate what modem you are using and whether or not the modem was set to run Dual mode (IPV6 enabled).  This is to provide the data necessary to troubleshoot a potential IPV6 issue.  What has shown up in the past is a dual part problem:  firstly, an undetected IPV6 issue with the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) that your modem connects to, and two, the device that you’re using is failing to fall back to IPV4 use only, when the IPV6 path to the end point fails.  The end result is a loss of access to the sites in question, partly a Rogers problem and partly a device firmware problem.  The problem with the device failing to switch to IPV4 data appears to be more common than one would think, but, it only shows up when the network that the device is connected to fails to run IPV6 as it should.  Switching over to IPV4 only usually resolves this issue as the user device is forced to use IPV4 only, with no choice available.  In IPV4 mode only, the device isn’t allowed to sit in a wait state, waiting for the IPV6 IP data and path to resolve itself. 

In either case, whether or not this resolves the issue, please post the results.  If this does resolve the issue, and depending on your trace results, this will have to be forwarded to the network engineering staff to fix the configuration problems with your CMTS.  You won’t be the only one affected by this.  Typically, when this happens, someone has changed the CMTS configuration and unintentionally created a problem such as this.  Usually this is a CMTS issue that affects just your CMTS.  It won’t be a global issue (usually).  Tech support won’t be able to help as they won’t recognize the issue.  It will end it's the usual response, “reboot the modem, device, etc, etc”.  “It’s the users fault, contact instagram, whatsapp,etc, etc”.  Tier II tech support can only raise the issue for the network engineering staff to correct, if in fact the Tier II tech can recognize the problem.  Obviously the assumption here by the lower level tech support staff is that the Rogers network is perfect and if you have issues, then obviously the issue is with the user, device or service that you are attempting to access, take your pick, anything but the Rogers network. 

Depending on the posted traces and results, if this turns out to be yet another CMTS configuration issue, the moderators at @CommunityHelps will have to forward a ticket to the network engineering staff detailing each and every CMTS that is exhibiting this particular problem.  If there is more than one, that would point to some type of very recent network reconfiguration that hasn’t resulted in success at every CMTS.  That might also explain the problems with latency and packet loss that numerous users have been complaining about over the last two months, with zero explanation from Roger’s staff.

To reverse the change to the IPV6 setting, log into the modem and enable DUAL mode to run both IPV4 and IPV6.  Reboot the modem. 

Ignite TV users, note, the Xi6 set top boxes use IPV6.  I don’t know what effect disabling IPV6 will have on the set top boxes.  In theory, there should be no effect, and in theory, if your CMTS has an IPV6 issue, then your Xi6 set top boxes might not be behaving as you would expect.  If that’s the case, then the engineering staff should be keenly interested in fixing the problems with the CMTS.  In any event, disabling IPV6 is a necessary test step, usually done in the modem, but, if your tech savvy, you might be able to disable IPV6 in the device, and then reboot the device.  The end result should be the same in either case, disabling IVP6 in the modem or device.

Hope this helps.  I’ll be very interested in the posted trace results.

Zohaib2
I've been here awhile
Here are my results

tracert -4 whatsapp.com

Tracing route to whatsapp.com [169.55.60.148]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 3 ms 10 ms 10.0.0.1
2 18 ms 12 ms 78 ms
3 13 ms 83 ms 26 ms 24.156.149.181
4 22 ms 121 ms 83 ms 3999-cgw01.mtnk.asr9k.rmgt.net.rogers.com [69.63.248.5]
5 49 ms 159 ms 67 ms 209.148.237.21
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 32 ms 58 ms * ae6.cbs02.eq01.chi01.networklayer.com [50.97.17.34]
8 40 ms 106 ms 78 ms ae1.cbs02.cs01.wdc05.networklayer.com [169.45.19.110]
9 61 ms 84 ms 114 ms ae3.dar03.wdc04.networklayer.com [169.45.18.239]
10 98 ms 80 ms 47 ms 85.76.3fa9.ip4.static.sl-reverse.com [169.63.118.133]
11 51 ms 112 ms 108 ms po1003.fcr01a.wdc04.networklayer.com [169.55.118.173]
12 90 ms 124 ms 74 ms 94.3c.37a9.ip4.static.sl-reverse.com [169.55.60.148]

Trace complete.

Here's the trace from West Ottawa for comparison purposes. Note that you're starting to run into larger return times within the Rogers network.  That compounds as the trace continues to whatsapp.  Important point, the trace does run to the end point.  Can you run and post the IPV6 trace with the first IP address deleted:

tracert -6 whatsapp.com

Here's the trace:

tracert -4 whatsapp.com

Tracing route to whatsapp.com [169.55.60.148]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms   <1 ms   <1 ms   Router
2    17 ms   13 ms    10 ms   174.112.164.1
3    18 ms   16 ms    14 ms   67.231.221.77
4    14 ms   14 ms    16 ms   209.148.236.173
5    25 ms   17 ms    24 ms   9301-cgw01.ym.rmgt.net.rogers.com [209.148.229.229]
6    26 ms   25 ms    34 ms   209.148.235.89
7      *             *             *         Request timed out.
8      *          29 ms    30 ms   ae6.cbs02.eq01.chi01.networklayer.com [50.97.17.34]
9   41 ms   42 ms    48 ms   ae1.cbs02.cs01.wdc05.networklayer.com [169.45.19.110]
10 41 ms   42 ms    45 ms   ae3.dar03.wdc04.networklayer.com [169.45.18.239]
11 45 ms   45 ms    41 ms   81.76.3fa9.ip4.static.sl-reverse.com [169.63.118.129]
12 42 ms   48 ms    46 ms   po1001.fcr01a.wdc04.networklayer.com [169.55.118.169]
13 42 ms   40 ms    44 ms   94.3c.37a9.ip4.static.sl-reverse.com [169.55.60.148]

Trace complete.

rafaeel
I plan to stick around

This is how I was able to fix the issue on mine last night.

I did a factory reset of the modem and then reset my internet via EasyConnect. After that, I rebooted the phones, and it seems to have resolved the issue for now. 

Zohaib2
I've been here awhile
Hi,

When I do tracert -6 whatsapp.com
I get a msg "Unable to resolve target system name whatsapp.com"

However I get Trace complete when I rund tracert -4 whatsapp.com

So not whats what going on

@Zohaib2 the error is indicating that the pc/laptop, can't get the proper IPV6 address from the DNS.  There are a couple of causes for that, one that the modem is using IPV6 but, can't get past the CMTS when using IPV6 addresses, and two, the modem isn't set to use IPV6.  I don't know what your modem is currently set for, but, we're about to find out. 

What modem are you using , the white CODA-4582, or the dark grey or black XB6 which is used for the Ignite TV service? 

If its the CODA-4582, can you log into the modem and check the WAN Address in the upper right hand corner of the data block that is displayed on the STATUS page.  That STATUS page is displayed automatically when you log into the modem.  Look for two IP addresses, one IPV4, which follows the 192.168.100.xxx format, and one much longer IPV6 address.  I'd like to know if there is an IPV6 address.  

Following that, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and change the Router mode to IPV4 if its not there already.  Save the change.  If you did have to change the setting it will take two to three minutes for the modem to switch to IPV4 addressing only.  I still recommend running a factory reset following this switch, which is located in ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot. 

Reboot your pc or other devices that you're using for WhatsApp or Instagram or other ....

Then run a test to determine if you can access photos/videos, etc.

Please let me know if:

1.  there was an IPV4 and IPV6 address in the WAN IP address data field on the STATUS page. 

2.  What Router setting the modem was originally on, IPV4 or Dual

3.  Whether or not a change to IPV4 instead of "Dual" enabled you to use WhatsApp or Intstagram

What are you using to access WhatsApp or Instagram, pc, tablet or phone?  Just curious at this point as a tablet or phone would probably use IPV6 first, IPV4 second.  The pc can be set to use either one, but that requires some digging into the wifi or ethernet adapter settings to see if both IPV4 and IPV6 are enabled.