Can rogers boost my cable signal for the Cable Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Can rogers boost my cable signal for the Cable Modem

I reattached my amp and now my modem levels look better:

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1621000000256QAM0.600636.387
2591000000256QAM3.200137.356
3597000000256QAM3.700237.636
4603000000256QAM3.300337.356
5609000000256QAM2.600436.610
6615000000256QAM1.200536.610
7633000000256QAM0.200735.780
8639000000256QAM0.300835.595
9645000000256QAM0.800935.780
10651000000256QAM-0.4001035.595
11657000000256QAM-0.9001135.780
12663000000256QAM0.1001235.780
13669000000256QAM0.1001335.780
14675000000256QAM0.4001436.387
15681000000256QAM1.5001536.610
16687000000256QAM1.8001636.610
17693000000256QAM1.6001736.610
18699000000256QAM1.6001836.387
19705000000256QAM1.1001936.387
20711000000256QAM0.6002036.610
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandWidth
130596000ATDMA - 64QAM41.00026400000
223700000ATDMA - 64QAM41.00036400000
338596000ATDMA - 64QAM44.00013200000
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I installed a high speed, PC based router behind my cable modem/router to improve wired LAN speeds. The idea was to remove routing tasks from the cable modem/router to a high speed router.

This worked great for many months. In June the quality of the connection between the high speed router and the cable modem/router deteriated significantly. It went from 50% quality to between 10% and 20%. This is according to quality measurements from my high speed router.

I think the cable modem/router is breaking down and needs to be replaced.

Further evidence is that I get notifications on my cell phone that my wifi connection is limited (the wifi comes from the cable modem/router).

I am attaching pics of the quality graphs from the high speed router.

I have tried rebooting the cable modem/router with limited improvement (the wifi is limited message went away for 12 hours but came back).

Cable modem/router is a Hitron CGN3.

High speed router is a Dell PC running pfSense.

I have seen routers used in Small/medium business environments burn them selves out due to high traffic flow. I run between 90GB to 100GB of data per month through the high speed router and cable modem/router.

Can anyone speak with authority on whether this is the problem?

Thanks!

Internet Quality 1.pngInternet Quality 2.pngInternet Quality 3.pngInternet Quality 4.pngInternet Quality 5.pngInternet Quality 6.png

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Could you please go to 192.168.100.1 and under the DOCSYS Wan tab and post your signal levels.  This will help determine if your signal is within spec as that itself can cause issues with performance.

Thanks

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I originally posted this as an Internet Quality issue and was moved to this thread. Here are the signal levels on my modem.

Hitron Signal Levels.png

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well that could be part of your problem.

The optimal signal for the modem is around 0. 
That yours are jumping around from -4 to -8.. there is a weak signal issue.
(the SNR is a little off as well)

I would get a tech out to take a look at everything.. replace splitters/connectors as necessary.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'd vote for a tech as well, but, those signal levels are still within spec.  However, looking at your graphs, it appears that you have some packet loss going on.  When those graphs are running, scale down in timeframe so that your essentially seeing the red packet loss in real time.  When you see that occur, and if it continues, or cycles in and out on a regular basis, call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  Ask him or her to check for packet loss, noise at your modem and the noise history and to check your neighbors as well.  I don't think that you would see a tech based on the signal levels, but, for packet loss and noise, that's a different situation.  Depending on what the CSR sees, you may see a tech at your home, or its possible that Senior Tech or Maintenance crew might be dispatched to take care of a larger issue.  Just depends on what turns up.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Actualy, when the packet loss issue was identified I rebooted the modem and the packet loss stopped (as did the wifi is limited message on my cell phone - breifly). I am not getting packet loss any more but the quality issue continues. This is why I suspect that the cable modem/router is the problem.

I push a lot more data through my systems than the average household and I suspect that the Hitron cable modem/router is breaking down. I beleive that I need a more robust cable modem. I probably need a cable modem in line with what would be used at a small to medium business.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Hitron modems are not noted for stellar wifi performance.  If good wifi performance is at the top of your list in terms of modem or router capabilities, then you should consider running the modem in Bridge mode and use a third party router.  Preferrably one with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports.  That will most likely solve the wifi issues.   What are you running now in terms of your internet speeds, 100/10, 250/20?

Until then, try this.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application.  When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop.  Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands.  In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel.  After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there are any 2.4 or 5 Ghz channels that are not in use, or offer less interference.  Thats usually pretty tough with 2.4. Ghz channels as the only channels that don't overlap with each other is 1, 6, and 11.  As a result, everyone tries to use those channels.  The program link below is for the last freebie version.  It doesn't display the 802.11ac networks in use in the 5 Ghz band.  There is a newer licenced version out now that will handle 802.11ac networks, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  If you use 5 Ghz networks, its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the 5 Ghz networks that are in use.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks.  Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel.  So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours.  The scale on the display has 0 dBmW at the top, and it then descends from there.  When the power level separation between networks decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network.  Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.  By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can.  If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, change your operating channel to 149 or higher.  If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates.  

So, with inSSIDer loaded on your laptop, take a walk around your home.  Take a look at the display when you're close to the modem, and where you normally use your laptop.  Essentially, you're doing a site survey.  It takes about three to four minutes for the display to settle out when you move around and stop in a location somewhere.  You should see some differences in the received network power levels as you move around your home, both for your own network, and those of your neighbors.  Perhaps one of your neighbors has bought a new modem or router and is competing for the same channels that you are using.  If so, inSSIDer will show that.

What you can do is take a screenshot of the inSSIDer display, dump it into something like Microsoft paint and wipe out your MAC address from the text and display area and then save it.  Insert it into a post so I can have a look at it if you need help with the interpretation.  With the info provided by the inSSIDer display it will be easier to determine what the problem might be.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the information

I run a wifi analyser on my cell phone which uses the 5K channel to connect. All indications are that I have a strong wifi signal on the 5k band with almost no other broadcasters on this frequency.

The wifi issue is really not my main concern. Despite the wifi limited message the wifi seems to work fine. I am concerned that this message combined with my network quality issue are indicating a hardware issue with my Hitron modem.

I need to get my network quality issues resolved as it is affecting some of my video streaming.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hissanswer, you can talk to the business staff but I suspect that you will find that the modems are the same.  Don't quote me on that one, you would have to check with them.  Possibly one of the mods, such as @RogersMoin can confirm or deny that.  

There are a couple of aspects to an issue such as this.  RG-6 cabling and wifi.  In the case of the cabling, your signal levels are fairly far down.  Its possible that your getting short term excursions further down that don't show up in the power levels, but yet, are enough to cause internet service issues.  To check for that possibility you can run a program called pingplotter to monitor the modem to CMTS path and ensure that its running as it should be.  Please have a look at the following post which indicates how to set up pingplotter to monitor the modem to CMTS path:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

The other aspect to this is wifi.  Understanding that you run a wifi analyzer on your cell phone, I would suggest running inSSIDer on a laptop, or, run the wifi screener in the Diagnostics section of the modem.  The laptop should be more sensitive to wifi signals and will most likely display networks that are running that the cell phone can't detect.  The modem itself should be at the same level as the laptop in terms of wifi signal detection if not better considering that is has three antenna for the 2.4 Ghz networks and three antenna for the 5 Ghz networks.  Its definitely worth having a look at.  You should also set the 5 Ghz channel to 149 or higher as those channels have a higher allowable output power level which will help with signal levels and data rates. 

Fwiw, there are others on the forum who run unlimited plans and usually push at least 1Tb or more of data per month.  They use a CGN3xxx or CGNM-3552 modem and have never stated any concerns about the modem itself, cable signal issues  and wifi yes, modem no....