Can I set up my rogers mail to be IMAP instead of POP3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Can I set up my rogers mail to be IMAP instead of POP3

Just a follow up.

While trying to utilize my Rogers email on my iPad at a Tim Hortons, Starbucks or McDonalds I had some success. 

For IMAP, I found that the incoming server name imap.mail.yahoo.com worked, and I got my emails. I could not send however until I made the primary outgoing mail server  smtp.broadband.rogers.com with port 465. The incoming server port was 993. At least it is a step forward FWIW.  

The IMAP doesn't yet synch with my PC (windows) Outlook. All sent emails done remotely on my iPad do not show up on my PC. Neither on my POP account nor my IMAP account.  I'd like to get email to synch between the apple iPad and windows PC first before I add my android phone.  I don't think these devices want to talk to each other, being from different families.  :-)

Hello, @User14

Thank you for sharing your email endeavours with the Community! Smiley Happy

@User14 wrote:

The IMAP doesn't yet synch with my PC (windows) Outlook. All sent emails done remotely on my iPad do not show up on my PC. Neither on my POP account nor my IMAP account. 

On your Windows PC, do you have both IMAP and POP configured for the same email account?

I would only use IMAP with Windows PC as well with the same server settings you have on your iPad. Most likely in your Windows PC you may have a different outgoing server for IMAP.

Keep the Community updated, thank you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

It is difficult to follow these threads in chronological order so I will just continue with my experiences after trying to use Rogers email on my iPad while travelling.  I'll review my findings just for completeness.  I am trying to switch from the Rogers INCOMING POP server so I can synchronize my Rogers email on my Windows PC with my iPad. 

First the INCOMING SERVER name IMAP settings are pretty clear:  imap.mail.yahoo.com    server port 993 with use SSL on. The latter you find settings you find under Advanced. 

I still get my rogers mail on my Windows PC POP account. I have both POP and IMAP accounts on my PC since I am not deleting the POP account until I know the IMAP account works.  Incoming email goes to my iPad also. So far, so good although I am hoping my incoming email will go to the IMAP account once the POP account is deleted.  

[Please note that while attempting to set up my email while away, I tried to log in to the Rogers website directly to access my email. I was basically "forced" to download the mobile Yahoo Mail app for my iPad.  I just could not log into the Rogers website to access my mail from my iPad with a wifi connection. There was no decline button.  I have no idea which settings this Yahoo mobile app uses, but I assume it is IMAP.  So I now have Rogers INBOX email on my Windows PC, my iPad Mailbox as well as through the mobile Yahoo Mail app. I want to access various gmail and hotmail accounts in one location on my iPad so I will delete the Yahoo Mail app eventually.]

Now the problem part of this synchronization set up that leads to pop up messages such as "cannot connect to server". The OUTGOING SERVER names have several variations:  smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com; smtp.mail.yahoo.com; smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.broadband.rogers.com    I tried them all and only the latter seems to work for me. I am fairly sure of this, since the iPad keeps the other smtp server names and it will use them if they are turned on. I have them all turned off and smtp.broadband.rogers.com is the Primary Server and the only one that works.  smtp.mail.yahoo.com should work, but it doesn't.  I can now SEND email from my iPad though.

As far as synchronizing my SENT email with my Windows PC, this does not seem possible.  In talking to the Apple Support folks they say that the incoming email will go to all my devices including my Windows PC but any sent email will only stay on the device you send it from.   I am not sure about this, as other people tell me that emails SENT from their iPhone, also show up in their iPad SENT folder. Maybe this is an Apple iOS  thing.  I would like all devices synchronized so that when I delete from my iPad, it also deletes from my Windows PC.   This may NOT be possible but that is my question. Is there an equivalent IMAP-like  OUTGOING Server name that allows synchronization across all your devices? Or, is it always an SMTP setting that does not synchronize your sent messages?  I welcome any practical feedback on this issue.

I won't even mention my attempts to synch my email on my Android phone. Maybe I'll save that for another thread.  :-(  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are using SMTP.. then yes, i beleive the sent is only on the device itself.  But with IMAP.. i BELEIVE it should be visible across all.

EG: Stuff sent from my iphone/ipad set up with 'imap', is visible on the rogers webmail sent folder.

For your PC setup, yes you will want to use the IMAP settings.

Probably due to rogers blocking of 'other' smtp server.. is likely why the other smtp servers dont work. (help to prevent spambots, etc from functioning, etc)

As for the ipad/iphone. 

EASIEST Way.. no fuss, settings, etc.
use the YAHOO server option when choosing a new email account to add.
It uses the IMAP settings, and does it all for you Smiley Happy

Thanks,

I found some more information on this which I will try.  Either the iPad  Rogers email is configured incorrectly for the SENT folder or I have not properly set up the Outlook IMAP Account for Rogers email SENT folder on the server. I think it is this secondary set up of designating the SENT folder on the server that is necessary to get full synchronization. This article goes on to tell you how to find the Sent mail folder configurations for various devices including Outlook on the PC. 

This might help. We'll see.

https://clients.websavers.ca/whmcs/knowledgebase/115/Keeping-your-Sent-folder-in-sync-across-devices...

Keeping your Sent folder in sync across devices

Keeping your Sent mail folder in sync is a straightforward concept, but unfortunately in practice, many Mail applications work to undermine its simplicity. The way it should work is as simple as this:

1. You must be using IMAP for your mail on all of your devices.
  2. You must designate a single folder on the server as your Sent folder
  3. You must configure your mail applications to store your sent messages on the server rather than locally and they must all recognize the single Sent folder as their 'official' Sent folder.

When you add your mail account to your mail program, it should automatically configure your Sent folder in this manner. However, in some cases, such as old versions of Apple Mail, it will automatically use a folder called "Sent Messages" instead of "Sent." In other cases, your mail program will default to storing your sent messages locally rather than on the server, meaning you won't have access to them on any other device.

To fix Sent folder syncing issues, check your account settings to ensure that the three items above are accurate. One of your devices must have at least one of those directions incorrectly configured - fix the configuration and your Sent mail will remain synced across all of your devices. 

I finally got my PC Outlook Rogers email folders to synch with my iPad Rogers email!  Import/Export of email from a POP Account to an IMAP account is also a consideration.

Only one small glitch I now have is the synchronization of the SENT folders. That is a final step that isn't discussed in much detail and now there are two <sent> folders on my PC Rogers email account.  

The INBOX folders synchronize from the server to the PC and iPad without a problem. Remember that your emails stay on the server with IMAP settings, so you will have to delete them at some point or archive them on your PC. 

So now, when I send an email from my iPad, it ends up in a folder called <Sent Messages> on my Rogers Outlook account on my PC. It is not the standard <Sent> default folder you see under the INBOX. The problem seems to be too many folders - <Sent> on the PC, <Sent Items> on the Server and <Sent Messages> on the iPad.  You have to use each client device to subscribe to the server folders you want to use from advanced settings and that is a topic called "Synch folders" for another time.  I would recommend getting one <SENT> folder on the Rogers Server first before starting your POP to IMAP migration. I found stuff on the server from 2007 still there which never got pushed to my PC with the POP settings. 

When you finally set up your iPad and PC  IMAP accounts and remove your POP accounts, I think you need to make sure you only have one set of <sent> folder to deal with on each device so they can synchronize.  Settings on an iPad let you choose a Sent folder on the server or on the iPad so it can get confusing for you and the software.  

Here is the site I used for step by step instructions, although it is vague on synchronizing the various <sent> folders.

http://www.pop2imap.com/how.php   I used the Outlook 2010 - Yahoo combination but there are several others depending on your service provider and device.

Good luck!

I forgot to mention that I also had the Yahoo Mobile App on my iPad for the Rogers email.  It kept giving me the message:

"Waiting for emails to arrive. Check back later." After an hour, I just deleted the app. It was redundant anyway since I use the iPad "Mail" with 3 different email accounts.  FWIW.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Please tell me how I can set up an IMAP account on OS X Mail?

I have tried using Yahoo Mail, and it defaults to a POP account.

I have tried using 'other', and it too defaults to a POP account, with no option to select IMAP.

Odd, because when I set up other non-rogers accounts using 'other', I am offered to option to select POP or IMAP

Anyone have a solution?

Paul
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not a Mac user here.. But it has defaults for yahoo, etc built in?
It's wierd it would use pop... Since iOS on the mobile devices when you choose yahoo sets up the email settings.

Not on a PC at the moment, but when I have better search abilities I will see if I can look this up a little better

I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the exact same problem setting up OS X mail with IMAP.  I just can't seem to get an IMAP option by either adding account with default Yahoo settings or adding an account manually.  Gmail....no problem!