Cable burial potentially affected Bell phone line service. How to proceed with phone line burial?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cable burial potentially affected Bell phone line service. How to proceed with phone line burial

@Datalink wrote:

@SL1930 was there a service location completed prior to the cable burial? 

Service locations are probably not done when installing a Rogers Cable only a few inches below the surface.  They don't need to worry about Water, Sewer, Gas, etc, which are much lower.  They should know enough to check for phone (either themselves, or by calling Bell), especially if they are warned ahead of time.  You'd think that they would know all this, but contractors aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Cable burial potentially affected Bell phone line service. How to proceed with phone line burial

I called Bell and asked when is the scheduled burial. They gave me the date and it's in 2 weeks. 

Quite the difference in speed compared to Rogers. 

Anyways, I made them aware that it seems like this is going to be a teeter totter thing with cable burial and the proximity of the 2 services to the house. They have made a note of that in the file, but their best suggestion is for me to contact Rogers. Let them know what happened and that they need to come back and put markings/flags where the Rogers cable is buried so that when Bell tech comes to do the burial. They do not disturb Rogers service. 

I am planning to give Rogers a call tomorrow, but I saw a previous reply saying that the locate should be done by 

https://www.on1call.com/

If that's the case, do I still need to ask Rogers to indicate where the cable is underground?

I've Been Around

Yeah i had my cable buried and just the day after i notice two of my neighbors now have temporary lines installed since i think they cut their cables while burying mine. the temporary cables were annoying since they can't bury in winter and i am worried this is gonna be a cycle. The contractors were just using a saw i think to cut the ground and then buried a cable but not sure if they would notice you cut someone else cable but i did find the cut end sticking out of the lawn, so i assume they probably noticed but ignored it. As for bell they seem to bury in center of the driveways on my block instead of end of driveway now for fiber.

I did recall someone that seemed to be using a tool to measure the ground, probably to let them know where they are post to dig till and safety and then rogers burial team schedules a team to bury it (sometimes can be a mess and you have to call a technician to schedule it)

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm in a similar situation and this thread looks like the appropriate one where to comment.

I have Rogers Cable and my internet and home phone are provided by Execulink, my local ISP. Execulink is switching to fibre in my area, which I signed up for. Weber, the contractor for Execulink, has been working in the subdivision all summer and there have been a couple interruptions in my Rogers cable. On August 30th I had my fibre hooked up and it's great and actually cheaper than my previous VDSL.  Then, a week ago, my neighbour had his fibre installed and that's when I lost my Rogers cable. Once I decided this was not just a temporary interruption I called Rogers and a tech came out the next day. He confirmed the cable was cut and tried to find it where the fibre contractor had been working and the lines might have crossed. After some digging he found the 2 fibre conduits, but not the severed cable. Considering a house up the road had had their cable cut in 4 places by the fibre contractor, he wasn't going to dig up the whole front yard and hung a temp line from the pole.

So here are my questions:  How come these contractors don't get locates before digging, trenching or tunneling?  A lot of locates were marked during the summer, but with grass being cut, etc, they disappear. How long does  it take to bury a new cable? I'm not aware that a ticket was created. I'm actually dreading that the Rogers contractor might cut my fibre.  They don't seem to care about locating anymore. And who is responsible for all the extra work, or do they just write it off as the cost of doing business?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I'm in a similar situation and this thread looks like the appropriate one where to comment.

I have Rogers Cable and my internet and home phone are provided by Execulink, my local ISP. Execulink is switching to fibre in my area, which I signed up for. Weber, the contractor for Execulink, has been working in the subdivision all summer and there have been a couple interruptions in my Rogers cable. On August 30th I had my fibre hooked up and it's great and actually cheaper than my previous VDSL.  Then, a week ago, my neighbour had his fibre installed and that's when I lost my Rogers cable. Once I decided this was not just a temporary interruption I called Rogers and a tech came out the next day. He confirmed the cable was cut and tried to find it where the fibre contractor had been working and the lines might have crossed. After some digging he found the 2 fibre conduits, but not the severed cable. Considering a house up the road had had their cable cut in 4 places by the fibre contractor, he wasn't going to dig up the whole front yard and hung a temp line from the pole.

So here are my questions:  How come these contractors don't get locates before digging, trenching or tunneling?  A lot of locates were marked during the summer, but with grass being cut, etc, they disappear. How long does  it take to bury a new cable? I'm not aware that a ticket was created. I'm actually dreading that the Rogers contractor might cut my fibre.  They don't seem to care about locating anymore. And who is responsible for all the extra work, or do they just write it off as the cost of doing business?

*Update on my part*
Bell ran a temporary line, they were able to run another cable underground within 2 weeks(when I told them Rogers took a year, they laughed...). However they did not take down the temporary line so I wasn't sure if the phone service was coming through the new cable or the temp. I had to call them again and even then, they didn't know which cable is active. They sent a tech who closed the ticket citing that everything is "normal". I had to call again and ask when they can take down the temp line, that's when this rep told me that the work order says it's through the underground line and they will send a tech to remove the line. The whole ordeal with Rogers/Bell required 8 visits from various tech/personnel. What a waste of resources.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's already almost fall time which is even worse timing than when we had ours put on in June. 
The message I keep receiving is that Rogers outsource the work to 3rd party and they are overwhelmed with work. 
Therefore, it could take up to 2 months(initially that'what I was told) to bury the cable. 
Once it gets too cold, the work is suspended until Spring time. 

I would suggest you give the burial service line a call. Ask for that when you call Rogers and see if you can get a status. Sometimes they can leave a note and get the 3rd party company to give you a call on whether they can do it soon or it has to way till winter is over. 

If it's the latter case, set a reminder to call them in April/May time frame to ensure that they work on it as first thing. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I went here https://www.rogersoutdoorcable.com/app/OrderStatus.asp and it appears there is an order placed, so I signed up for email notifications. Thanks.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario