Cable burial potentially affected Bell phone line service. How to proceed with phone line burial?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Cable burial potentially affected Bell phone line service. How to proceed with phone line burial?

Cable burial request was put in on June 2018 and after 4 calls, finally after almost a year, we got Rogers to come and bury the cable along the centre dividing bricks between the asphalt driveways with our neighbour. 

The cable and bell box are on the side of the garage alongside this driveway division between us and the neighbours. 

Everything seemed fine after the burial, Rogers service was intact until we tried to use the Bell landline and had no dial tone. Called up Bell and now they ran a temporary overhead line from 7 houses down for us and said they will work on burial later. 

However, I think the issue is that both cable and phone line are run along the same path. That's the only explanation that Rogers burial disrupted Bell service for us. Wouldn't we run into the same issue again when Bell does their own burial? 

***Added Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cable burial potentially affected Bell phone line service. How to proceed with phone line burial

Sorry to hear about your problems, however, I have a question: Why would you have two providers?  Rogers can easily provide you with a "landline" and your cost will likely go down with a Rogers bundle for all your services?

It certainly is possible that you will have another issue with Bell's install, however, I would never have called Bell first. I would have called Rogers first since it's highly likely that their install cause the problem with the landline. Perhaps the installers (outside technicians for Rogers) thought you were going with Rogers for all your services and didn't take any care with the Bell line...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cable burial potentially affected Bell phone line service. How to proceed with phone line burial

Before the line was buried, there should have been a locate service completed to determine where any other services are buried.  Those services should have been marked with various flag colours denoting which service was which.  In theory, with the locate service done, this should not have happened.  Fwiw, the cable burial isn't very deep, maybe three to four inches, if that.  Don't know what the spec calls for, but every rogers cable burial we've had has been very shallow.  We're in a similar situation, with both Bell and Rogers local taps located just off of our driveway. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I have a question: Why would you have two providers?  Rogers can easily provide you with a "landline" and your cost will likely go down with a Rogers bundle for all your services?

Some people prefer to have different providers as separate services.  When I was young and living with my parents, I ordered internet under my own name and bill so I could be responsible for paying for the service on my own, it taught me a lot and since it was under my own name it did not interfere with my parents bills or accounts in any way.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen this happen in the past where one service provider accidentally damages the other service providers cable.  Some people claim its done on purpose to sabotage the competing providers infrastructure, all I can say is in most cases the ground crews who do the line replacements can and often have contracts with Both local providers so they are not doing any good by doing that since they are neutral / non partisan.  Anyways yes it does happen to phone and cable but there's times it does not happen and the competitors line is NOT damaged. All you need to understand is accidents happen, simply call the affected provide and they will deal with it, if they want to know more, the two providers can deal with each other on their own time if they want to argue about blame and there should be no need for you to get involved in that dispute

I'm Here A Lot

We currently have both services mainly because there is a senior in the household and the Bell landline is there for reliable calling and medical alert system. As this is close to a 30 year old neighbourhood, the highest speed for Bell Internet is offered at 50/10. We went with Rogers cable for faster speed and also in this case, not to put all eggs in one basket.

When the burial company called to ask for permission to cut a slit along the driveway to run the line. I saw the cut and it was quite shallow like at most 2-3 inches deep. I have a feeling this didn't damage the Bell cable and it's probably along the sidewalk and down the path to the cable box somewhere.
The Bell phone box is actually the same direction down the sidewalk as the Rogers green box.

Do I notify Bell that they need to be careful when they do the burial for the phone line as it seems like both Rogers/Bell cables are running down the same path?
How do I get both companies to communicate with each other so we don't end up in this teeter totter scenario of having one or the other service under the ground?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SL1930 was there a service location completed prior to the cable burial?  You would know that by seeing the underground service flags which denote the various service types, including underground power, and any other cable type which runs in proximity to the Rogers cable.  That service location is required to bury any cable underground and should prevent this type of occurrence. Even if you didn't see the contracted tech conduct the locate service, you should have seen the results of completed survey (short flags denoting the service type).

If you're in Ontario, thats done thru Ontario One Call:   https://www.on1call.com/homeowners/

Rogers should have requested the service locate prior to the cable burial.  Bell should have to request it as well.  Normally, with the service locate completed, there shouldn't be any issue burying additional cables along an existing cable path.  The burial crew should be well aware of the existing services with the service location flags in place, so you shouldn't have to go thru any extraordinary measures to warn incoming burial crews.  I'm just wondering if that service location was completed in your case, and if so, what went wrong?  

I'm Here A Lot

I honestly did not see service flags anywhere and wasn't aware that it had to be done. 

I assumed the burial service knew and had devices to check wiring under the ground. 

The sequence went as follow:

I called on May 14 to inquire about the burial status as it's been almost a year since the work order was put in. 

The response I received is that the order has been given to the contracting company and permit seems to be completed already. However the Rogers rep cannot tell me when it will be done, rough estimate was 1.5 months.

I voiced that it is unacceptable to have to wait over a year to have the burial completed when other surrounding burials are already completed and we were all disconnected by the city around the same time frame. The rep sent an email to the burial company to have them contact me directly regarding scheduling the burial. 

May 15th, I received a call from burial company asking for permission to cut into driveway to run the cable. Permission given, they said it will be completed next morning. 

May 16th, before I had a chance to a car on the driveway away from the neighbour side, the burial company employee was already done laying the new cable from the tap off the garage towards the sidewalk. At that point, I did not really notice any flags anywhere. I had to go to work so I did not see the completion of it all, but was able to confirm at work that Internet was still working properly. However by mid afternoon, I was notified that there was no longer any dial tone from Bell landline, called Bell for technician that came by 2 hours later who had to run a temporary cable and cut off the original cable coming from under the ground. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If Bell restores their service and doesn't fuss about the cost, then the problem amounts to an unnecessary inconvenience to say the least.  But, if Bell tries to recover the cost of the line burial thru you, then this becomes a problem.  Bell should be chasing Rogers for the cost of burying a new cable.  

As for the service location, as far as I'm aware, this is done by a separate company, but, don't quote me on that one.  Maybe companies such as Rogers or Bell have their own techs who are equipped, trained and authorized for detecting underground services prior to any new underground installations?  

I'm Here A Lot

I was told of no cost in the burial of the new cable from Bell. 
When they will do it is another mystery question and I sure hope it is not going to take a year like Rogers. 

The issue that I don't want to run into is losing Rogers cable when they do the burial. 

Do I notify Bell that potentially the wiring are going down the same path and in past experience, it has been disrupted through burial?