cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA - Constant factory resetting

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

Hey folks..

I'm pretty aggravated with Rogers hardware. It seems that i am constantly (at least 4 times/year) returning my modems due to defects. Thankfully I rent because I would NEVER take a chance at buying one of these bricks.

Currently I have a CODA-4582 modem and, after performing a REBOOT through web management, it performed a factory reset 🙄 

I'm no stranger to the issues at Rogers, so I always backup my settings for these exact moments that happen all too frequently. I attempted to restore my modem with my previous backup - which, of course, just hung and ultimately timed out and failed. (BTW the firmware is the same)

So I rebooted the modem again to make another attempt and it performed another factory restore. URGH... I wanted to test if this was a web management issue so the next time, I unplugged the unit, waited 30 seconds, plugged back in, and it factory reset again..

It's not only frustrating that I need to go through ALL my settings again, including a multitude of port forwarding, but it looks like I will be, again, getting this modem replaced.

I know this isn't just a secluded problem. I've been with Rogers for 20 years and am constantly having issues with their hardware, TV service etc..

But I wanted to check and see if there was something less invasive and time consuming for me to try performing before heading out to a Rogers centre for an exchange? Or waiting on hold for over an hour again..  I've been working in I.T for 15+ years so feel free to use 'tech-talk' to make things easier.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Dave

***Added Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: CODA - Constant factory resetting

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bigdee2015 I would guess that if the modem performed a factory reset after your reboot, that there was a firmware version available for download and installation.  When the modem reboots or restarts, it will run an automatic firmware version check, and if an update is available, it will run the update and reboot when the update is done.  I always advise customers to carry out an additional reboot after the update process is completed as I've found that it takes a reboot, or possibly another factory reset to see the modem operate as it should.  

Personal opinion, if you have a multitude of port forwarding to run, you should really consider buying a good router that is capable of handling the port forwarding requirements.  Fwiw, I run an Asus RT-AC86U at the present time with the modem running in Bridge mode.  I've run that configuration for several years now, modem in Bridge mode with a router behind it in full router mode.  I don't do port forwarding, but, fwiw, this configuration is very stable.  I don't think about the router or modem until its time to update either one.  If something goes wrong, my first consideration is "whats up at the neighbourhood node", and go from there.  I don't think of the modem or router as a first consideration.  

The Hitron modems have only had space for 9 port forwarding rules from what I remember, so thats always a consideration.   If you need more rules, then the solution is a router that can handle all of the port forwarding rules.  If you run multiple gaming consoles, then you need a router that can handle multiple consoles.  Not all routers can.  

Thinking aloud here, I'm wondering if the problems that you're encountering are with the modem, or with the cable system.  If for example the modem reboots on its own, that is a potential sign of cable signal issues.  The modem will reboot in order to reestablish communications with the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), which controls the connected modems and provides data services.  Hop #2, in a trace to anywhere is the CMTS (with the modem in its default Gateway mode).  Running a lengthy ping to  that address will indicate whether or not you might have a problem with the external cable that runs from the house to the local tap which is either in nearby pedestal (within eye sight from your front door) or up on a nearby utility pole.  There is always the possibility of a problem with the local tap or with the cable that runs from that local tap to the neighbourhood node.  That entire run is via cable, while the run from the neighbourhood node to the CMTS is via fibre.  

Have you tried an experiment, which is to run the modem without any port forwarding rules?  Basically set up the modem with a minimal set of parameters, firewall up, DHCP running, wifi up, and DNS addresses set.  If you do run the modem in this type of configuration, are you still seeing failures?  

Its difficult  at this point to determine if you have a firmware issue or a cable issue.  The 4582 was recently updated to a new firmware version, version 7.x, currently at 7.1.1.33.  That is a new firmware version with a new kernel to run DOCSIS 3.1 upstream.  There have been three (?) 7.x versions to date, so I'd guess that Intel, Hitron  and Rogers are working on stabilizing this version.  Does that add to your current problems, that's a good question.  I wouldn't want to speculate.  One problem that has been seen version 7.x is that the user interface is unresponsive when you attempt to log into the modem.  That was supposed to have been resolved in the current version, 7.1.1.33, but, I don't believe that its been fully resolved.  The way around this is to pull the power from the modem, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  After the restart, the UI should respond to the login attempts.  

The follow on problem with the restart is that it will cause the modem's signal levels to return to a normal level, so, if you happen to have signal issues, the restart will make it difficult to troubleshoot those issues.  So, the longer you can go without a modem restart, the better, in terms of troubleshooting signal issues.  

With that in mind 

Fwiw, if you have the time and patience login to the modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab.  Copy the signal data, from the start of the DOWNSTREAM OVERVIEW line, all the way to the bottom right hand corner of the bottom OFDM/OFDMA section.  Select that entire area, right click ..... Copy.  In a new post, right click .... Paste.  That should paste in the entire table as it appears in the modem.  It would be interesting to see if the signal data might indicate a cable issue, keeping in mind the time since the last restart.  Please indicate how long its been since that restart.  That should be indicated in the uptime that is shown in the STATUS tab.  The Software (Firmware) version is also shown on that page.  

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation