cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around

Been running the device in bridge mode for quite some time now and was able to access it just fine at the 192.168.100.1 address to check logs.  LAN is 192.168.1.0/24.  Running pfSense and no changes have been made in months but all of a sudden a few weeks ago, I can no longer access the CODA.  

If I run a persistent ping, it will succeed every 50th time or so.  Also every now and then, I am able to get to the login screen for the CODA but no further.  So it has SOME access, but not enough to login completely.

Any suggestions?  

Thanks!

***Added Labels***

76 REPLIES 76

Re: CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

kajowe
I've been around

I'm not a tech, but I've had similar issues with an older modem. Power fluctuations perhaps...

Perhaps Noise on the upload line.. replace coax and plug direct into wall (no power bar/UPS)

You've probably done these things though. Good luck.

K

It's a shame this issue hasn't been resolved. I have the exact problem as the OP where every 50th or so ping succeeds, I can't login to modem page at 192.168.100.1 and every day the internet "restarts" at the most inconvenient time.

The user (OP) who changed modems several times stated that he has the same issue when connected directly to the modem so I don't know why you guys keep pointing out to the router being the issue. When getting a new modem it works for a while and than this issue happens with no changes to the network. It seems to me that the problem is the modem.

With the Pandemic and work from home situation we can't have the ISP's connection restarting at random. Just yesterday it cut out when my wife was presenting to 200+ people...

The OPs solution was to switch to Bell Fibre...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gihad fwiw, the modems are far more reliable than customers and tech support believe.  The actual failure rates don't justify swapping modems out in an attempt to solve cable issues.  That just leads to aggravation on everyone's part.

There is no good reason for a modem to reboot randomly, except for:

1.  instances where the modem has lost communications with the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), usually caused by external cable failures; or

2.  overheating, if the modem isn't parked in a location with adequate ventilation. 

My bet is on an external cable fault, which might be intermittent at this point.  The external cable from the house to the local tap is the Achilles heal of cable networks, requiring routine replacement after it degrades beyond a certain point.  If it just failed once and for all, it would be much simpler to determine and replace.  Instead, it fails on an intermittent basis, until one day, it simply dies.  That intermittent failure phase can be hard to determine and very frustrating, to say the least.  

Ok, step one, logging into the modem.  With the modem in Gateway mode, use 192.168.0.1.  With the modem in Bridge mode, use 192.168.100.1

If the modem doesn't respond to your login attempts, thats an indication that it has version 7.x loaded.  That version becomes unresponsive to user login attempts after a period of time, days, weeks, haven't tracked it down exactly.  Unplug the modem from the wall socket, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and then plug it back in again, forcing a modem reboot/restart.  

Unfortunately, that modem restart also resolves cable issues, at least on a temporary basis.  I'd like to see the modem's signal levels after a period of time has passed, but, for now:

1.  log into the modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab. 

2.  select the modem signal table, from the start of the "Downstream Overview" line, all the way to the bottom right hand corner of the bottom OFDM/OFDMA Overview.  Park the curser at the beginning of the Downstream Overview line, hold down the left mouse button and scroll down to the very bottom right hand corner of the table.  You can also use the arrow keys to move down and right, to do the same thing.  When that table is selected, copy it, right click .... Copy.  

3.  then in a new post, right click .... Paste.  The end result should look like the table from the modem's UI.  

As I indicated above, the modem reboot will cause the signal data to look pretty good, unless there is something really amiss with the external cable.  So, we'll see how it looks.  I like to see the same table after several hours have passed, maybe even after a day or to, just to compare the before and after levels.  The second login to do this should not require a modem restart.  In fact, I need to see those starts without a modem restart, just to see how they look after several hours or possibly days after a modem restart 

Next step.  Even with good signal levels, its possible to have cable problems that don't show up in the signal data.  If you're seeing service disruptions, that can happen fast enough that they won't show up in the signal data, or perhaps the event log.  You indicted that you were seeing only one in fifty pings actually succeed.  There's definitely a problem with that.  Are you running a ping test via wifi or ethernet, and what's the ping target?  

In order to look for an external cable problem, beyond the signal data, you need to run a ping test to the CMTS.  To do that, run a trace to anywhere.  On a windows pc or laptop, go Start and enter cmd in the Search box to bring up a command prompt.  Type in:

tracert -4 www.google.com

With the modem in Gateway mode, or a modem in Bridge mode with a router behind it, the first Hop IP address will be the modem (Gateway mode) or router (modem in Bridge mode).  The second Hop IP address is the CMTS.  Ping the CMTS for at least an hour using an ethernet connected pc or laptop.  

Ping -n 3600 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx           where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the CMTS IP address (Hop #2 IP address)

That will run for one hour and then terminate.  Copy the bottom results and paste them into a post.  Left mouse button down, and scroll down from the first results line, to include all of the bottom results.  Use Ctrl c to copy the selected data to the clipboard and then paste them into a post. 

You shouldn't see anymore than a handful of packets lost for a 24 hour test, so for a short 1 hour test you should only see one or two packets lost.  

If you wanted to run a much longer ping test, then use:

ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx           where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the CMTS IP address (Hop #2 IP address)

You would need to use Ctrl c to bail out of the test at any point.  

If you wanted to run a 24 hour test, use:

Ping -n 86400 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx           where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the CMTS IP address (Hop #2 IP address)

Ok, with the signal data and ping test results, that will hopefully point out the problem.  

Just to note, I've had a 4582 running for almost four years now, without any problem.  If I do run into any issues, my first thoughts are to check the signal levels and ping results from the CMTS, looking for potential problems with the external cable.  That 4582 sits on the far edge of my desk, where there isn't any issue with ventilation for the modem.

One other thought, if you have IPV6 running, where the modem's router mode is set to Dual (IPV4 and IPV6), strongly consider setting the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION .... Router Mode to IPV4.  The modem will take a couple of minutes to sort itself out, but, I will usually run a modem reboot as well, which is located in ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.  There are sporadic IPV6 issues with the CMTS which keep popping up from time to time, so, setting the modem to IPV4 only will avoid those issues.  Not saying that's the problem here, but, one way to avoid potential IPV6 issues is to simply disable it.  That's unfortunate given the growing use of IPV6, but, it is what it is.  

Fwiw, my better half gives presentations, participates in panel discussions and other group online meetings as required, all done via ethernet connected laptop, with the 4582 in Bridge mode and the router running IPV4 only.  That configuration has been rock solid, even with the pandemic loads at the neighbourhood node and CMTS.  

Is your wife connecting to the modem via ethernet or wifi?  If it's wifi, there are other suggestions for wifi settings that I can provide.

For now, assuming that there's a cable fault at hand, prior to starting something important such as an online conference, unplug the modem, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and then plug it back in, forcing a modem restart/reboot.  That should result in stable performance for the required time period, unless of course, there is something very wrong with the external cable and its connectors. 

Would you happen to know when the external cable was replaced, and, do you have underground cabling or an overhead cable running from a nearby utility pole.  Underground or overhead, the cable still requires replacement after a number of years.  That could range anywhere from after two years to somewhere around 10 to 15 years, perhaps longer.  

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

If it makes you feel any better, I too have this. I'm only on my second modem hoping it was an issue due to a faulty modem. I specifically asked for a new modem on my swap, but clearly got another refurb from someone else.

I started using it as a normal router, but the DHCP server doesn't serve IPv6 internally and my internal firewall system was having issues because it kept asking for an IPv6 address. I figured I would try bridged mode again.

Sure enough, I tried 192.168.100.1 today and got no response... same issue as before. If I reboot the modem, it comes back, only to die about a day later. It's absolutely either a hardware or firmware issue with the modem, NOT our own devices.

If the modem would serve IPv6 on the internal LAN via DHCP when not in bridged mode, I'd try that with WiFi disabled and see if the GUI dies after a while (it seemed to be OK for about a week... way more reliable than when in bridged mode).

I'm convinced it's an issue with the firmware and setting it in bridged mode.

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

If the modem doesn't respond to your login attempts, thats an indication that it has version 7.x loaded.  That version becomes unresponsive to user login attempts after a period of time, days, weeks, haven't tracked it down exactly.  Unplug the modem from the wall socket, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and then plug it back in again, forcing a modem reboot/restart.  

BTW, this is the exact issue being reported by the OP. The CODA's GUI is non responsive after a while and requires a reboot to be accessible. If this is an indication of a firmware version, why would this issue not go corrected for years. You also state the modems are very stable, yet this statement completely contradicts this.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I can confirm I have had this issue on every CODA 4582U I have had so far I am also running pfSense and I find the issue usually resolves itself after rebooting the modem however I usually loose it after a couple of days, it seems to have no impact on my internet speeds, however it has been annoying as over the last couple of months we have been having severe signal issues and I usually have to reboot the modem to login and check signal

Hey @Eli_Sand!

Thanks so much for sharing your concern with the inability to access the modem's GUI without a reboot after some time. I've experienced this myself though it's important to note that the MyWiFi app is available and is available for use in lieu of the modem GUI. I do appreciate the preference here and the necessity of logging in to validate your signal levels. 

There's quite a few things to validate to ensure we can narrow down what's causing it for anyone experiencing this issue and is able to complete the steps. I understand it's not possible for all.

- Ensure the WiFi app has not been connected. Factory Restore the modem if it has. Do no reconnect the app.

- Connect a single wired device to the modem, with no 3rd party equipment.

- Ensure the modem is in Gateway mode, not Bridge mode

- Test the GUI log in 24 hours after a modem reboot/restore.

If the issue persists than this narrows down the issue considerably. Thank you so much.

@RogersAndy

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

Hi @RogersAndy - I can confirm the issue is in bridge mode only; in Gateway mode, the GUI seems to work several days later.

I've never used (or heard of) the MyWiFi app, so no concern there with it causing issues, and the only device I have plugged in is a Ubiquity USG (Unifi Security Gateway). As mentioned when I got this latest modem, I had it in Gateway mode as a test to see how it would fair - for a week it was fine, GUI worked and everything. The main reason I went back to Bridged mode was because I want my devices to get an IPv6 address, and the CODA modem doesn't seem to serve IPv6 over DHCP on it's LAN ports, which caused my USG device to constantly complain because it was configured to get one. Switching to Bridged mode lets IPv6 pass through which satisfied the USG... but after about a day, the GUI dies.

Thanks @Eli_Sand.

If the modem is in bridge mode then user access to the GUI should be restricted. To my knowledge this is normal if you're unable to access it. Definitely let us know though if you have any further questions.

@RogersAndy

@RogersAndy @Eli_Sand thats not true.  Access to the modem's UI has always been available when the 4582 is in Bridge mode.  Otherwise, you would always have to run a manual factory reset to switch from Bridge mode to Gateway mode.  So, the modem's UI is available when the 4582 is in Bridge mode.  Only difference is that the number of functions that are available are reduced to a minimum, consistent with the function of the modem as a modem only, without firewall, DHCP server, wifi, etc, etc.  

I just logged into my 4582 after 42 days of operation in Bridge mode.  The modem's UI was available and there wasn't any problem logging into the modem using 192.168.100.1  

In the event the the modem doesn't respond to a log in attempt, a modem restart will solve the issue, as in pull the power, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  Only real problem at this point is that a modem restart will cause the signal levels to look normal, at least for a period of time.  So, the only way to determine the signal levels, when you're having problems is to ask tech support to look at them, without any recent modem restart.  

Fwiw .....   

Edit:  Note that the problem of the 4582 not responding to a login attempt is a recent occurrence with the update to version 7.x.   @RogersIan had indicated that this problem should be resolved in version 7.1.1.33, but, from my interactions with the 4582's login in page, I don't believe that this problem has been resolved.  

Also note that the DOCSIS EVENT log at this time is empty.  If I reboot the modem, the DOCSIS EVENT log will display the previous logged events, as it should.  This is yet another problem with version 7.x

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Sometimes I am unable to ping the modem's IP address too

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

I just logged into my 4582 after 42 days of operation in Bridge mode.  The modem's UI was available and there wasn't any problem logging into the modem using 192.168.100.1  

Count yourself lucky! I just tried now and the first attempt the login interface came up right away, however logging in stalled and eventually timed out. I'm now hitting reload a few times and watching various files time out, ultimately causing the UI to not fully load and/or work. It's really hit or miss on my end when ever it's in bridge mode.

You mentioned that someone said this GUI issue should be fixed in 7.1.1.33 (but that you don't believe that to be true). I was able to get logged in finally and see the specs:

Hardware ver 2A

Software ver 7.1.1.33

So yeah, doesn't seem to be resolved - at least with my hardware version. And now my GUI isn't responding at all 😛

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

It's not even just a GUI issue, sometimes the ip address 192.168.100.1 doesn't respond to pings if you don't believe me try to ping it the next time the GUI bugs out, I have had this issue since the first CODA modem I got, did not happen to me on older modems and I am on my fourth or fifth CODA modem swap so its got nothing to do with hardware, its a firmware issue that's been around for years and I am getting fed up this needs to be solved its extremely annoying

For reference my current modem is:

Hardware Version1A
Software Version7.1.1.33

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

@stepy2015 wrote:

It's not even just a GUI issue, sometimes the ip address 192.168.100.1 doesn't respond to pings if you don't believe me try to ping it the next time the GUI bugs out

Wow, you're right! I just never got ping replies and figured it was a default firewall rule it had built in to ignore pings.

I just opened ping to ping once a second and was getting constant timeouts. While that was running I was F5'ing the GUI in my browser. Eventually it responded (to redirect me to https) and AT THAT TIME, I got a ping reply.

It seems the ability to reply to ping is directly related to whether the GUI will work or not.

I thought perhaps it could be due to network utilization, however my USG reports about 4mbps throughput while I'm trying this right now, so there's no way that the modem should be too preoccupied routing traffic to serve the GUI.

If i was more electronically inclined, I'd whip out a JTAG connection or something to see if we could peek at what the modem is doing when it's not responding to pings or GUI...

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

I'm thinking that it's not that the ping replies work when the GUI works, but that it's the other way around - the GUI works when you get ping replies.

For any techs who care to look in to this:

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
Packets: Sent = 432, Received = 12, Lost = 420 (97% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 4ms

That's running it for about 10 minutes or so. The response time is also slow; pinging the firewall system (which the CODA is directly connected to) is about 1ms. So the CODA is eating 3ms in replying to the pings.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Yep I get about the same results, I have also noticed I cannot nmap scan the device when the GUI goes down so I assume the modem just isn't responding to requests of any sort when the GUI dies almost like the modem is not listening or routing anything on 192.168.100.1

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

@Eli_Sand wrote:

If i was more electronically inclined, I'd whip out a JTAG connection or something to see if we could peek at what the modem is doing when it's not responding to pings or GUI...

So I was going to open up another form post about this because I want to know what this is but I did run an nmap scan on my modem to see what was running on it when it was last responding:

I discovered this:

Click here for details
PORT STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open http
443/tcp open https
2601/tcp open zebra

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 97.90 seconds

HTTP and HTTPS are for the GUI however after investigating a bit I found the port 2601/tcp (labelled zebra) is actually a telnet server, I have not actually tried logging in but it does work, however its not helpful as you loose access to it when the modem GUI goes down, but  the fact that pings fail when the GUI and goes down as well as every other service on the modem disappearing leads me to believe that the GUI going down is not related to a GUI bug but rather a networking issue with the modem, like the network adapter on 192.168.100.1 not responding 

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

This is what the telnet interface looks like however I cannot seem to login with my GUI password or the default password "password", I bet they don't want consumers touching it 

Click here for details
Trying 192.168.100.1...
Connected to 192.168.100.1.
Escape character is '^]'.

Hello, this is Quagga (version 0.99.21).
Copyright 1996-2005 Kunihiro Ishiguro, et al.

User Access Verification

Password:

It appears the modem is running Quagga (version 0.99.21) which appears to be very old and have a security flaw:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1853/product_id-20622/version_id-156948/opdo...

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

Wow, good find - and the flaw is with receiving BGP packets that cause a denial of service.

I wonder if this is exactly the issue - BGP packets travelling along the Rogers network trigger the flaw and DoS the modem's interface.

Is there some way this can be raised as a high priority to Rogers?

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I highly doubt it as it only happens in bridge mode, Rogers does not care about the security flaw or the fact that you can access the GUI in bridge mode , I don't know how many times I have talked to Rogers and they seem to have no idea you can access the GUI in bridge mode, and they ask how I did it, I really think Rogers needs to fix this bridge mode bug or let someone at Hitron know about it and educate their support staff on this feature

Eli_Sand
I plan to stick around

I have sent in a support request to Hitron NA directly citing the modem version, firmware version, the CVE and that Rogers does not seem to want to address this issue. We'll see if they blindly tell me to contact Rogers or actually answer my questions about if they have an updated firmware and if/when it was released to its partners. If we know Rogers is sitting on a fixed firmware, then we can force their hand to release it.

Topic Stats