cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around

Been running the device in bridge mode for quite some time now and was able to access it just fine at the 192.168.100.1 address to check logs.  LAN is 192.168.1.0/24.  Running pfSense and no changes have been made in months but all of a sudden a few weeks ago, I can no longer access the CODA.  

If I run a persistent ping, it will succeed every 50th time or so.  Also every now and then, I am able to get to the login screen for the CODA but no further.  So it has SOME access, but not enough to login completely.

Any suggestions?  

Thanks!

***Added Labels***

76 REPLIES 76

Re: CODA 4582U in bridge mode - can't access at 192.168.100.1

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Hey @iPhoneFan! Loss of connection capability to the CODA modem can occur sometimes and is typically resolved by rebooting the modem. Are you having any difficulties with your connection otherwise? Or is it just a lack of GUI connectivity. When you attempt to log in is there an error? Or is it just stalling? @RogersAndy

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around
Restarting the unit doesn’t solve the issue unfortunately. The connection is fine 95% of the time but the unit does automatically restart a couple times a day at complete random times.
Thanks

Hello, @iPhoneFan.

Thank you for rebooting the modem; we can try isolating the issue by bypassing your network (firewall/router) and connecting a computer directly to the modem to access 192.168.100.1.

I run my modem in bridge mode as well. At times, I have to reboot my modem and router to gain access to the modem's login. 

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around
Good suggestion but doesn’t work either. When I bypass it and assign the laptop a static IP, while directly connected to the Coda, I get the same results. It’s very strange since it used to work consistently before.

Personal opinion, if a modem or router refuses to respond and allow me to log into the device after a few short attempts, I'll nuke the device and run a factory reset.  Not desirable if it can be avoided, but, if push comes to shove, the device loses.  I've had this happen on rare occasion, followed by a factory reset. 

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around
Tried that last week - by holding the reset button and then putting it back into bridge mode after it reset. Can access it fine when it’s not in bridge mode though.

Ok, in that case I'd swap it out for another modem.  Logging in thru 192.168.100.1 should work, especially after a factor reset.  If not, then there's some issue with the firmware load.  You might have to call tech support to generate a work order so that you can swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  That work order requirement is fairly new.

Edit:  @iPhoneFan when you held the recessed reset button at the back of the modem, how long did you hold it for?  The user manual indicates to "press and hold the Reset button for ten seconds".  Personally use 30 seconds for a hold time.  The manual doesn't indicate what happens if you use a time that is less than 10 seconds, which should result in a quick reset, not a full up factory reset. 

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around
Held it for approx 30-35 seconds as recommended online. Guess I’ll swap the modem again and see if that helps. This is the 6th modem I’ve had in the last year and a bit. I wish the older modems were still available. Never had an issue with them.

@iPhoneFan has the log in problem persisted throughout all of the 6 modems?  The only explanation for that is a firmware issue, or a network issue with the connecting network.  What are you using for a router?

If this has been the same issue all along, I wouldn't bother replacing the modem. 

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around
Worked fine on this modem when I first got it, so it’s odd that it just stopped.
Using pfSense.

Good morning @iPhoneFan!

If you've gone through 6 modems in the last year, then I highly recommend that you reach out to us in private so we can run some tests and determine the best next steps.

The odds of you getting 6 defective modems in a row are quite low so I suspect something else is going on here. Luckily, we're well equipped to diagnose such issues.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here. Looking forward to hearing from you so we can put this issue to rest.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Any chance that 192.168.100.1 stopped working after a PfSense update or after a rule creation to block a range of IP addresses?  

As a test case, have you tried creating a rule to allow access to 192.168.100.1, thru the router, just to see if that made a difference?  That has come up before, not necessarily with PfSense, but with other routers, to allow access to 192.168.100.1 thru the router.

My usual advice to anyone switching modems, is to run a factory reset on the router to clean out any data that was specific to the previous modem.  That doesn't necessarily apply to something like PfSense, but, who knows.  Is there any chance that PfSense has data cached from previous modems that might cause this, even if its the same modem model? 

Would you happen to have an old router on hand that you're not using anymore?  If so, connect that router to another port on the modem and reboot the modem with both routers already running.  After the modem reboot both routers should have their own separate IP address.  Try accessing the modem thru the other router.  Assuming that works, it implies that there's an issue with the PfSense configuration that is stopping any traffic to or from 192.168.100.1   

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around

So just did a full wipe/reset again and reconfigured for bridge mode.  Having same issue, pings make it through every 50-60 times, can get the login screen sometimes but no further.

Connected a laptop directly to the modem and restarted it, got a WAN IP.  Was able to continuously ping the modem. As soon as I tried logging into it though, the pings stopped getting through and once again was stuck at the login screen.  Must be an issue with the modem once again.

Ok, in this case there's something odd with the PfSense configuration that the 4582 modem doesn't agree with.  That happened with D-Link routers when the modem was first released.  I haven't seen any other complaints regarding access to the modem thru other routers, so, there's something unique or specific to PfSense.  That would require the engineering staff to have a look at.  There's no point in swapping modems, you're already done enough.  What is required to push this any further is a WAN data capture from the moment that the PfSense router connects to the modem, up until the modem refuses to connect when requested by the router.  That data exchange would probably point out what the issue is. 

iPhoneFan
I plan to stick around

Ended up exchanging the modem and it worked right off the bat as soon as I put it into bridge mode.  At least it did work, for several days.  Since replacing the modem mid last week, I was able to connect to it at 192.168.100.1 and didn't have any disconnects either - until just now.  All of a sudden I was disconnected from Rogers, and since the modem came back up, I can not login to it (or even get the login page).

7 modems in, 4 techs onsite, and still can't get to the bottom of these issues.  Wow.

I am glad Bell is running fiber to my house because I will be switching.  Since I had to replace my old modem with the 4582 I have had nothing but ongoing issues.

KamWest
I plan to stick around

I get the same issue on my modem but if I unplug it and plug it back in I can access the login page again. I also use mine in bridge mode and whenever my connection acts funny I try to login, when I cannot login I know something is wrong and I need to reset the modem.

On my 3rd modem and today I had to reset 3 times, the error logs are huge and the funny thing is when I called rogers nobody could tell me what the error codes meant.

I wish I could just get a reliable modem without wifi, I use google wifi anyways so the wifi part of the router is unnecessary for me.

@KamWest , I'd bet that you have some problems that go beyond the modem.  The modems are pretty reliable, despite the impression that Tech Support might have given you.  One unserviceable modem, I'd believe, three unserviceable modems, no way.  If you're having that much luck in finding unserviceable modems, you should be buying lottery tickets.  

At best, I think you should see two or three events logged per day in the event log, and they should only be minor entries.  

Can you log into the modem and confirm what Software (firmware) version is currently loaded as shown on the STATUS page.  Then navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab.  Select or highlight, from the start of the Downstream Overview line, all the way to the bottom right hand corner of the bottom OFDMA/OFDM section, right click .... Copy.  Then in a new post, right click .... Paste.  The pasted table should look like the table in the modem. 

Did tech support ever run a signal check on your modem?

Have you had any field techs visit to check your external cabling and connectors?

KamWest
I plan to stick around

Only my last router is having this issue.

When I start to get disconnects I cannot log into the control panel. I restart the router and then I can get into the control panel and I get dozens of errors.

Third time today

See attached error codes

(Image edited- Removed CM-MAC address and upload again)

Picture0003.png

KamWest
I plan to stick around

This happens daily and I am at a loss

Call tech support and nobody knows what the error codes mean or what needs to be done.

@KamWest you have a number of no responses to Unicast Maintenance Ranging and No Ranging Response.  The modem requests maintenance periods from the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) on an ongoing basis.  This ensures that the modem time sync with the CMTS is correct and that the CMTS data that is required by the modem to operate correctly is in fact received by the modem.  If the modem doesn’t see a response to the maintenance period request, it logs that receive failure and carries on, only to request the maintenance period once again, very shortly down the road, so to speak.  So the fact that there are a number of these could either indicate that the CMTS is busy or that there is an issue with packet loss.  Its unfortunate that this is logged as a critical event, when in fact the modem simply carries on, requesting another maintenance period very shortly thereafter. 

The other events are the MDD IP Mode Overide (MIMO) and Lost MAC Domain Descriptor (MDD) event, which can be more problematic although their only marked as warnings.  For the MDD, the CMTS broadcasts channel data to the modem so that the modem knows exactly what channels are used to carry network operational data.  As in, for the modem to operate correctly, go to this channel to receive the data required to operate a network between the CMTS and modem, in a nutshell.  In this case, the modem has missed the MDD message and flags the occurrence.  I’ll refer you to the following web page for the MDD description. 

https://volpefirm.com/top-10-docsis-terms/

For the MIMO event, I’ll refer you to the following page:

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-does-the-mimo-event-mimo-log-message-mean-393

Basically, this comes up when there is a difference between what is contained in boot file versus what is contained in the MDD message.  Again, its only a warning.

So, there’s only one MDD timeout and two MIMO events spaced out over several hours, so, there nothing to really be concerned about.  If these were occurring continually over a short period of time, then its worth looking at. 

Don’t read too much into the events log.  You can drive yourself to distraction trying to figure it out and determine if there’s a problem.  In your case, I wouldn’t be too concerned over the contents of the event log.

The important data, personally speaking is the signal table and the ping test.  Is the modem operating within its specified signal parameters and even if it is, is there any packet loss which would be caused by external cable and connector issues, even if the signal levels look ok.  So, that’s why I’d like to see the signal levels and a ping test to see what if anything turns up.

So, you're having problems accessing 192.168.100.1 which would normally be an issue with the follow on router or due to some strange incompatibility with the router.  Some users with follow-on routers have to define a route to the 192.168.100.1 address from the LAN side of the router.  That is not a modem issue.

Are you seeing any other issue besides this and the disconnects?   For the disconnects, I'd like to see the result of a one hour ping test to the Rogers DNS, which should indicate what you're seeing in terms of packet loss and disconnects which would result from them. 

Please post the signal level table again.  Ignore the modem data that sits above that table as its specific to the modem.   

Edit:  *** the ping test should be done via ethernet, not wifi ***

Topic Stats