CODA-4582U - Loss of 2.4 GHZ Network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: CODA-4582U - Loss of 2.4 GHZ Network

How do you switch to mixed mode?

Good morning @DarleneStapley!

I have responded to your PM and I'm standing by, waiting to help with this setting adjustment. It will take just a few short minutes so please reach back out to us when you have the time.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there, digging up an old issue but I am having the same problem, around the time I added a Nest Hello.

I've swapped modems (like for like), and a tech even ran a new line to my house, but that didn't solve the issue.

Last night I switched to mixed mode, but work up to 2 emails that my camera had gone offline.  What did others do to resolve this if mixed mode didn't solve the issue?

Hello, @howcanyoubesure

A lot of devices still connect only to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi so I can understand how frustrating it must be to have these issues popping up.

2.4GHz is easily susceptible to Wi-Fi interference due to the sheer number of devices that use 2.4GHz. It would be a good idea to utilize a Wi-Fi Spectrum Analyzer to see which channels have the most congestion and set your Wi-Fi settings to avoid those channels.

You can find Wi-Fi scanner Apps in the Google Play Store if you are an Android user the Wi-Fi Analyzer App is a free download. There are other options available that our RE's can speak more about.

I will tag them into this post for you; @Datalink, @Gdkitty, @-G-.

RogersTony

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@howcanyoubesure  Just to clarify, is the problem that your Nest Hello is able to connect but loses its connection randomly?

As @RogersTony  suggested, I would install a Wi-Fi scanner on a smartphone.  Bring it (literally) right next to the Nest Hello and check the signal strength to your router.  If it's marginal (say around -80 dBm) it may barely be able to maintain the link.  2.4 GHz does have quite a bit of range but there are a lot of devices out there that use that frequency band, so it's also susceptible to interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi, baby monitors, leaky microwave ovens, etc.  The 2.4 GHz signals are also blocked by metal and absorbed by water so any number of factors could cause a connection to drop, especially if it was marginal to begin with.

Re: Wi-Fi scanners, for an iPhone, I install Apple's "AirPort Utility" from the App Store.  It's normally used to configure Apple's (now discontinued) Wi-Fi routers but it also has a Wi-Fi Scanner that can be enabled in Settings.  It's free and ad-free.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@howcanyoubesure  One other thing came to mind:  I wonder if somebody could be trying to knock your device offline with a Wi-Fi deauth attack.

I've Been Around

This is a known issue still unresolved and Rogers isn't taking ownership.   Forcing devices to band steering to try and fix.. adjusting security... a rep told me to drop from WPA2 to WPA and said there's no loss of security... just who are the people making these claims that work there?  Maybe they should run that by their network admin... next thing they'll tell me to run WEP.  Explain that when running your own router there is no issue... when running theirs that you pay for with no choice but cant use the gateway mode?  Tell me how that makes sense...   everytime the 2.4 falls off, I pick up the phone call in and make them turn on and off the 2.4.  I'm not wasting my time I have better things to do... I suggest everyone else do the same until someone figures it out and fixes it or junks these . devices.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 in conversation