CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4kgigabitguy
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Thanks @KyleW1988

Your information has been very helpful & I have provided Dave with my testing results/assessment from this weekend. Good thing with .27 is you have the option to disable so there is a workaround. The fact that EA Canada runs FIFA/NHL while EA in the US runs Madden is the point that is of great interest as it can mean they are using different matching making systems/server configs.

Check out this Netcode Analysis video done on the game Rocket League here and one on COD here. Watch the beginning info as it will give you an understanding of how P2P networking works with games compared to dedicated servers. As we can see Rocket League is using dedicated servers while COD is using a method that prefer use of the dedicated server but can also fallback to P2P. No videos on the Netcode Analysis for EA Sports games unfortunately .

4kgigabitguy

Mythen
I Plan to Stick Around

Coda on .27
Mythen
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure how to share the rogers speed test.  What does the community think of the DSL reports one?

StephKitty
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave Would I be able to get a push of the .27 firmware for my CODA?  I've been having some really horrible experiences with my connection for the last month and a half.  

I've called Rogers numerous times and the Techs are pretty helpful, but can't seem to figure out the issues.  It comes and goes, but my gigabit connection only seems to give me speeds between 250-500Mbps down and between 4-10Mbps up.  I'm assuming it's the Firmware updates I got recently (.24 & .26T2) that's been causing my issues.  Before this I seemed to have a pretty solid and steady connection (with the problems being mostly hardware related).  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks @RogersDave

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

@StephKitty wrote:

@RogersDave Would I be able to get a push of the .27 firmware for my CODA?  I've been having some really horrible experiences with my connection for the last month and a half. 

@StephKitty, firmware 2.0.10.27 is only available through the Rogers Firmware Trial Program at this point. To register, simply follow the instructions in this post.

Once your registration is completed, you should receive the firmware within a few days.

Dave

Alex4161
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave, @Datalink

Can one of you please comment on my post as it would be nice to know if you are aware of these OFDM issues and when they can be resolved. It is pretty annoying to have your modem connection drop off in the middle of things.
jgamm
I'm Here A Lot

After a day of testing with 0.27 with two online games, I am still experiencing bufferbloat. The latency in games is much more stable but I am still experiencing packet loss and substantial spikes on Rogers nodes, just much less frequently. I can also confirm that I also got a score of D on the bufferbloat test on dslreports. When I connect to a VPN I am able to maintain a stable connection with 0 packet loss. If there's any thing I can do to help, point me in the direction and I'll be happy to provide some info.
Telek
I Plan to Stick Around

@Alex4161 wrote:
@RogersDave, @Datalink

Can one of you please comment on my post as it would be nice to know if you are aware of these OFDM issues and when they can be resolved. It is pretty annoying to have your modem connection drop off in the middle of things.

Have you tried to swap out your modem?  For the vast majority of people this problem was resolved with the .24 firmware.

Telek
I Plan to Stick Around

@jgamm wrote:
After a day of testing with 0.27 with two online games, I am still experiencing bufferbloat. The latency in games is much more stable but I am still experiencing packet loss and substantial spikes on Rogers nodes, just much less frequently. I can also confirm that I also got a score of D on the bufferbloat test on dslreports. When I connect to a VPN I am able to maintain a stable connection with 0 packet loss. If there's any thing I can do to help, point me in the direction and I'll be happy to provide some info.

Can you elaborate more on the VPN part?  Are you saying that if you play a game over the same physical rogers connection but with your VPN connected then there are no packet loss problems?

jgamm
I'm Here A Lot

When I connect to ivpn which is a paid VPN service, I do not disconnect or experience high ping in games at all. When I use MTR to measure packet loss the results show no packet loss. I haven't tried the bufferbloat test with it though. I connect to their Toronto server, and get about 50ms avg in games, sometimes peaking up to 100ish. It is the same physical connection, using the same networking hardware.