CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@techninja

Thanks for the sanity check. I am experiencing the same openvpn connection slowdown symptoms that you have described.

I've Been Here Awhile

I was able to get one server to higher speeds by disabling the MTU=1500 option, which leads me to believe there is some kind of packet processing bug. Can you try disabling that option if you can and see if it makes any difference? However the problem seems to still occur intermittently.
I Plan to Stick Around

My modem is in bridge mode. I did change my wan mtu to 1470 from default 1500 but it did not result any noticeable change.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@techninja@nl2,

I would like to understand this problem further. Would one of you be able to confirm to me what is the protocol stack used when the connected to the VPN? For example, is it Ethernet/IP/ESP by any chance or Ethernet/IP/UDP/ESP?

--Dave

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave

Running openvpn client so Ethernet/IP/SSL. Ethernet/IP/UDP/SSL is also available.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there, I am running 4.5.8.35 on Hitron hardware version 1A - all members of household are experiencing connection hangups and drops.  On my samsung phone it periodically displays '!' beside wifi symbol, showing no internet connection.  It will usually disconnect and reconnect and then be fine for a short period of time.  

We have an iPhone in the house that will hang, and not recover on it's own, so sending messages in apps or uploading attachments usually fails and she has to switch wifi off to accomplish these tasks.

Both MacBooks will periodically fail to load a page saying 'no internet connection', typically resolved by a refresh.  Has this problem been identified, and is there a fix in the works?   Thanks!

EDIT:  I was told to post here, but my modem is CGNM-3552 - should I be posting this elsewhere?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@howcanyoubesure wrote:

Hi there, I am running 4.5.8.35 on Hitron hardware version 1A - all members of household are experiencing connection hangups and drops.  On my samsung phone it periodically displays '!' beside wifi symbol, showing no internet connection.  It will usually disconnect and reconnect and then be fine for a short period of time.  

We have an iPhone in the house that will hang, and not recover on it's own, so sending messages in apps or uploading attachments usually fails and she has to switch wifi off to accomplish these tasks.

Both MacBooks will periodically fail to load a page saying 'no internet connection', typically resolved by a refresh.  Has this problem been identified, and is there a fix in the works?   Thanks!

EDIT:  I was told to post here, but my modem is CGNM-3552 - should I be posting this elsewhere?

I would make sure your WiFi settings are as follows:

2.4Ghz: 

Channel: 1, 6, or 11 only, as these don't share with other channels

Channel Width: 20Mhz

Security: WPA 2 With AES Encryption.

5Ghz: 

Channel: 149 or higher

Channel Width 80Mhz

Security: WPA 2 With AES Encryption.

Turn off WPS on both, and disable UPnP, it's a security risk. 

If that doesn't help/your already running those settings then it could be the hardware/antenna in the Gateway is failing, I would suggest doing a modem swap at that point. If you're on an unlimited plan (100u or higher) you can swap to the new CODA 4582 Modem that has better WiFi performance, as it uses Wave 2 AC. 

Also always use 5Ghz when possible, as 2.4Ghz is VERY Crowded.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In addition to @gp-se's suggestions, try the following:

Log into the modem, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION.  Look for a mode setting which has IPV4, IPV6 and Dual.  If its included in the firmware for that modem, its probably in Dual mode.  Switch it to IPV4 only.  Save the setting.  The modem will take a minute or two to switch to IPV4 mode.  Reboot the modem to force a switch to IPV4 IP addresses for all of the devices, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.  

Have a look after the reboot to see if the problem still exists.  Please let me know if this works.  

Fwiw, I'd try this first, before doing anything else.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks to both of you - I will try what you've recommended and report back!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just upgraded to the 500U package.  This is my latest speed test

Mythen