CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

I can confirm that I have also had this problem for months.  The only way to get the modem to start dishing out IP's is to do a factory reset, not reboot.  Seems to last around a week or a few days more, then suddenly all devices (wired or wireless) loose their IP and default to 169.x.x.x.  Wondered if it had something to do with lease time, so I tried changing that, but no luck.

I've Been Here Awhile

Absolutely bizarrely, without restarting my modem (but with removing all devices from the ethernet switch and then putting them back in one by one) this problem seems to have gone away. I'll keep monitoring but I'm really dumbfounded.

I'm running version 2.0.10.27, and I have SW Download INIT - Via Config file bac103000106ac202e060e90 and SW download Successful - Via Config file in my DOCSIS events.

I've Been Around

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, and pardon the intrusion if so, but it seems to be active and popular so I hope someone can help me..

Has anyone been able to configure the QoS for the CODA-4582, and if so, provide me with the steps on how they did so? I see nothing on the router's back end aside from WMM(QOS): Enabled on the Wireless Status page, so I presume that the functionality is there, but that some third party firmware will need to be installed in order to configure it..?

This would be my first time working with QoS, and from my limited exploration of the subject, I have heard of firmware such as Tomato. Can anyone tell me if such a thing is possible to install on the CODA-4582?

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello @Menkhor, welcome to the forum.  

The simple short answer is:  no

The long answer: 

In terms of loading any additional firmware on an ISP or customer owned modem, that won't be allowed, not only by Rogers, but by any other ISP around the world.  That is due to security and network operational concerns.

In terms of QOS, that is a much larger discussion.  With the 4582, you probably won't need to run QOS for any service plan, unless you happen to have a bandwidth hog on your network that you are looking to throttle.  Intel has done a lot of work for V2.0.10.27, which is the current network firmware version for the 4582.  That effort has been on packet scheduling with the aim of reducing latency thru the modem.  Here's a link to a post by @RogersDave with his FLENT test for version .26 and .27.  This is a simultaneous input/output ping test, essentially a test under load:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-Open-Issues-for-Investigation/m-p/393227#M44...

If you look at that test, you can see that there is a significant reduction in the ping time thru the modem under load.  Gamers in the crowd who are using the 4582 with V2.0.10.27 have reported better gaming latency results with that combination.  The modem itself, with any internet plan should be able to provide the necessary response under load.  

Now, having said that, if your intention is to throttle a bandwidth hog that is taking up too much bandwidth at any given time, that's a different matter altogether.  To do that you would need a router and no matter which router you might buy, running QOS comes with a throughput penalty as the router processor has to look at each packet, inbound and outbound to determine where it fits in with the priority scheme.  So, instead of the router running flat out in terms of throughput, you will see a reduced throughput.  

A good many routers use Broadcom chipsets which have Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) and Flow Acceleration (FA) proprietary modules built into the firmware.  This is proprietary technology, designed by Broadcom.  Doing some quick reading, it looks like Tomato supports CTF, don't know about FA, but, as with other routers with stock firmware, functions such as QOS, Traffic Management or monitoring, Parental controls and a few others will disable CTF automatically.  Without the CTF enabled, a gigabit router will probably drop to 200 to 300 Mb/s in terms of throughput.  Add the processing required for QOS and you might be down well below 200 Mb/s.  That will depend partly on the router processor speed itself.   

Running QOS successfully will depend on your internet plan service rate and the horsepower of the router itself. Its possible that if you bought a typical consumer router with a fast processor, by that I mean 1.4 or 1.8, preferably a 1.8 Ghz processor, you might be able to run QOS on a 100 or 250 mb/s downstream plan without seeing any large performance penalty.  If you wanted to do that with a 1 Gb/s downstream plan, you would need a much faster processor which leads you into a PfSense, OpenSense, Sophos UTM type of router, and that is a step above a consumer router and then some.  At that level, although its possible to buy something like a PfSense router, a good majority of people build theirs, which is essentially building a computer and loading it with the router operating system instead of Windows or linux.

Fwiw, here's a link to the procedure on setting up QOS on a PfSense router:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Configure-Deep-Packet-Inspection-Using-pfSense

So, hopefully that gives you enough information to consider and to decide what the next step is. 

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Yea I find rogers and there modems dont work well with ea games especially NHL 17 eashl, lag and slow it got worse now with the coda modem .. wasn't rogers and ea supposed to have a fix by now?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something isn't making sense.  I think the vast majority of gamers with the 4582 are seeing a reduction in latency.  I know that Dave indicated much earlier that your CMTS required attention, but, I don't know if anything has been done yet.  In terms of latency with EA, I saw a comment, by @RogersKevin I think, indicating that they were looking at peering directly with EA.  Again, this takes time.  I've found the latency to the CMTS has dropped with DOCSIS 3.1 running, and that's before I test to a target anywhere, so that latency reduction affects everything.  My guess would be that any latency to the CMTS might be a big part in what you're seeing, but that's speculation at this point. 

'

I'm a Regular

No not yet. From what I know they will start fixing this issue by August , by splitting the node in building and replacing some wires from what I know. And I will do some pingplotter test tonight
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @RogersDave,

So I've been playing around with DFS and it appears that one of the two ranges does not work.

Setting the range to 100-104-108-112 does indeed put the frequency there. Some of my devices refuse to see it, but that's a reception problem. My Nexus 6P gets 126.1/51.6. However, using my AC3200U at 149-153-157-161 I get 217.7/52.4 on the same device.  Laptops show similar speed difference.

The problem is that setting the range on the CODA to 116-120-124-128 actually activates it in the high range at 149-153-157-161.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Telek wrote:

The problem is that setting the range on the CODA to 116-120-124-128 actually activates it in the high range at 149-153-157-161.

This *may* be normal operation. Because these are DFS bands, if the modem detects radar transmission, it has to move away from the band.

I will run a few tests to see if I can replicate including in an RF chamber.

Dave

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave I was reading the notes for 2.0.10.30 and it mentioned that it includes support for band steering. Can band steering be enabled through modem the interface, or can it only be enabled through your end?