CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Rcam to solve the modem password issue, you can do one of two things:

1.  Factory reset the modem by depressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and release it.  That will reset everything back to the default parameters; or

2.  Call tech support and ask the CSR to set the modem password for you so that you can log back into the modem.  Once you have logged in you can reset the password to something else of your choice. 

When you have logged back into the modem, navigate to the WIRELESS .... BASIC SETTINGS page, starting with the 2.4 Ghz.  Set the parameters as follows. I'm looking at an older version of the CGN3 user manual, so the security settings might be on a separate WPS & Security tab.  If so, there should be one tab for the 2.4 Ghz wifi and one for the 5 Ghz wifi:

2.4 Ghz Wifi

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n only, unless you know that you have older devices that use b or g
Channel Bandwidth: (?)  not sure this has ever been included on that series of modems.  Set this for 20/40 Mhz if it is available.  
Wireless channel: Auto, although, by looking at your wifi environment you might be able to determine if there are any clear channels, which is very unlikely.  That all depends on your neighborhood.  
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

For the 5 Ghz, set as follows:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel: 149 to 165
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Look at your wifi environment using one or more of the following applications that you load on your laptop:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Thats the last freebie version of inSSIDer and at this point in time is getting a little old. Its fine for 2.4 Ghz application and does work for 802.11n 5 Ghz networks.  It does display 802.11ac networks but not as well as it should. This has become a licenced application now for $20 US and works very well for both frequency bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

The other applications are fine for 802.11ac. Acrylic is graphical, WifiInfoView is text only.

What you want to do is determine what channels in the 2.4 Ghz range, and which of the 5 Ghz channels in the 149 to 165 range are occupied and if so, which offers the least competition in terms of signal level for any given channel. If you can find a channel or channel range in each group that is not occupied or that offers the least amount of interference from other modems/routers, that will be the best choice.

When you are looking at your wifi network with one of the applications, you can confirm that it shows as locked, indicating that the hashing process that uses both the network name and passphrase is being used to generate the encryption for the network.  

Rcam
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm so sorry, this problem persists with the CODA 4582. Slightly embarrassed is an understatement lol

I wrote the initial post while at work

I have an Intel wireless adapter that supports b/g/n

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No problem 🙂  What's your current situation then?  You have a b/g/n adapter, sounds like 2.4 Ghz only.  Do you have the wifi network up and running in an encrypted mode at this time?

Rcam
I Plan to Stick Around

I logged into the modem, changed the 2.4G setting to b/g and the 5G to a/n

I'm still getting a generic "the modem or connecting device has reported an issue"

Rcam
I Plan to Stick Around

I was told by a car rep that I may only be limited to 2.4 on a live chat I just had tonight.

I thought n supports 5G? Or am I wrong?
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you own a mixture of old and new 2.4 Ghz devices, the 2.4 Ghz wifi should be set for b/g/n.  b/g modes will result in slower data rates for the devices in question.  

N is supported for 5 Ghz operation, but, you pointed out that your adapter runs b/g/n, which sounds very much like a 2.4 Ghz only device.  Have you run the laptop/device on 5 Ghz networks before?  Stupid question at first, but we've had a number of people run into the lack of 5 Ghz capability on new and not so old laptops, which is why I'm looking for confirmation that you have run the device on 5 Ghz networks.  

If you load inSSIDer onto your laptop, you will see that the graphical display at the bottom is split into two areas, 2.4 Ghz on the left, 5 Ghz on the right.  If the 5 Ghz area is empty of any networks, which is really hard to do in a normal neighborhood, then the device doesn't support 5 Ghz wifi or the 5 Ghz wifi is disabled in the adapter settings.  

If you drill down into the device manager, down to the wifi adapter and copy the adapter name in its entirety, post that info into a post so that we can check the adapter specs.  

Rcam
I Plan to Stick Around

No this is virgin territory for me for my laptop.

Guess I'm limited by hardware capabilities.

Thank you so much, you've been a big help
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it turns out that your laptop is limited to the 2.4 Ghz band only for wifi, you could consider something like a USB wifi adapter such as the following.  The large antenna is removable.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/USBAC56/

That adapter will give you access to the faster 5 Ghz 802.11ac network capability of the modem.

Depending on the laptop modem in question, you might be able to replace the wifi adapter.  That requires a little laptop surgery, which isn't as hard as it sounds.  It just depends on the laptop model, as some manufactures have hard coded acceptable adapters into the bios.  Use something not in the list and the laptop won't boot.  

Rcam
I Plan to Stick Around

I like surgery though 🙂

The laptops a Lenovo IdeaPad p500
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, in that case we need the expertise of @VivienM, the local guru in laptops and wifi adapters.  

Assuming that the CNET specs for the laptop are correct, the wifi adapter is an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 - PCI Express Mini Card which is a dual antenna, 300 Mb/s b/g/n wifi card.  That card runs 2.4 Ghz only.

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-p500-15-6-core-i5-3230m-6-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/specs/

https://ark.intel.com/products/66889/Intel-Centrino-Wireless-N-2230-Single-Band

@VivienM will hopefully be able to tell you if the card can be replaced without any issues from bios white listing.