CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Datalink wrote:

The laptop could have a 100 Mb/s port.  That wouldn't be unusual depending on the age of the laptop. 

I can't remember the laptop, but I was looking at a brand new one a few months ago that only had a 10/100 ethernet port. Pretty sure it was a ~$600 one from Best Buy.

I Plan to Stick Around

@gp-se wrote:

change your DNS servers, it sounds like routing through Rogers is causing your issue. You can use Open DNS, Google DNS, or download DNS Bench and see what servers are the fastest for you.

Sorry I'm confused -- How would DNS cause increased latency and packet loss?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

.27 is still working very well here!

Wi-Fi Hardware: Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1525 Wireless Network Adapter

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ethernet Hardware: Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
I Plan to Stick Around

@RyzenFX wrote:
I've been noticing this same issue with Twitch.tv for the past 2-3 weeks now. Randomly during a stream, it would buffer or the stream would pause and not re-buffer. Based on what you guys mentioned, the buffering could definitely be caused by the routing Rogers uses.

It's so hard to watch Twitch streams with so much buffering- hopefully we can get this issue actioned ASAP.

EDIT: I just went through your trace routes and FOR SURE there's a routing problem. The severs you're hitting respond back with a ping >= 100ms which is a huge difference compared to Bell's routing.

I'm having trouble understanding how this could be a routing problem, as opposed to a really bad platform/client.

A video stream there is ~1.5mbit from what I can see. On a 250mbit connection in 100ms you can load 16 seconds worth of the stream.  A reasonable buffer (let's say 32MB) should be able to hold nearly 3 minutes of video. You could literally have a 2 minute latency, and still be able to watch streams without interruption.  100ms of latency is not going to affect anything.

A really quick google search shows literally thousands of results of people complaining of buffering issues on twitch.

I think it's more likely to be a really poorly designed platform that can't buffer properly, can't  and fails easily with lost or delayed packets, rather than a problem with Rogers' network.  It's possible that the current modem is exacerbating a poorly designed client.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Telek, fwiw, I use OpenDNS and find that my routing to various targets can be reduced by 50% in some cases, thats in the number of servers and ping time to the target.  Doesn't make any sense at all, but that is what I've noticed.  

Running GRC's DNS Benchmark is a good idea.  That can be downloaded from www.grc.com .... Freeware .... Utilities .... DNS Benchmark.

You can modify the DNS server list to drop some servers and add others.

When it comes to buying laptops these days, consumers have to do their homework and look very carefully at both ethernet port rates and wifi capabilities of the laptop.  Its pretty common to find 100 Mb/s ports and 2.4 Ghz wifi, both of which will cause a great deal of heartache considering the cost of some of these laptops.  its too bad that the manufacturers still cheap out when it comes to both of those items. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@Telek, fwiw, I use OpenDNS and find that my routing to various targets can be reduced by 50% in some cases, thats in the number of servers and ping time to the target.  Doesn't make any sense at all, but that is what I've noticed.  

That is very interesting! I wonder if, in the event where DNS is setup with multiple addresses (as almost all sites are), some DNS servers will geographically prioritize the order of the results?

Routing has absolutely nothing to do with DNS, so it must be the way that the results are returned.

It would be useful to compare the DNS lookup results of servers which do result in differnet routing.

FWIW, I've always used Google's DNS servers.  One of the first things that I change.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi guys,

For the last month and half I'm having strange issue with my modem(s).

I was using Rocket modem in a bridge mode with Asus RT-68U for more than a year without issues.

Suddenly it started to loose internet connection 5-10 times per day. Mostly it was happening at evenings and at night but sometimes during the day. WiFi part was working flawlessly, just no connectivity to internet.

To test it further, I disconnected the RT-68U and started to use build-in router - same issues.

Connected my laptop with wire to modem - same problem.

When it loosing internet, after 3-5 minutes it's reconnecting itself and working fine. Rebooting modem helps too.

I called Customer Support, they decided to check signals strength (which were OK) and told me that they "boosted" them a bit. It didn't help. They told me that it probably a modem issue and advised to replace it for new CODA.

So I replaced the Rocket for CODA, left it as modem+router (no RT-68U) and... exactly the same issue - 5-10 disconnects/reconnects per day. Then it was on firmware 24. 

Called Rogers again, they told me that maybe my area (North York) is affected by "spikes" at evenings and opened investigation. Few days later I got an automated call, saying that "nothing wrong was found".

Over last two weeks the number of issues decreased to 2-4 times per day. I checked and saw that firmware version I have now is 26T2, probably it's related.

When it's disconnects I can see WAN Up Time: 000 days 00h:00m:00s

DOCSIS WAN is empty (no open downstream and upstream ports).

After few minutes it reconnects itself.

Did someone experienced this issue. Any advice?

Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

@sdmeller wrote:

Hi guys,

For the last month and half I'm having strange issue with my modem(s).

Suddenly it started to loose internet connection 5-10 times per day. Mostly it was happening at evenings and at night

Called Rogers again, they told me that maybe my area (North York) is affected by "spikes" at evenings and opened investigation. Few days later I got an automated call, saying that "nothing wrong was found".

When it's disconnects I can see WAN Up Time: 000 days 00h:00m:00s

DOCSIS WAN is empty (no open downstream and upstream ports).

If you can show us your event log and signal strengths (make sure to remove all MAC addresses otherwise the forum mods will get angry) that might help.

It sounds like a cabling or otherwise signal issues. If multiple modems are failing to stay registered to the network, there's something wrong upstream of your modem.

Do you have a cable amplifier in the mix anywhere? Can you try connecting the modem directly to your incoming line in your house/condo and see if the problem goes away?

Also, I'm 99% sure that the "let us file a ticket and you'll get a call back" is really just "Let me set a random delayed timer that calls you and says that the problem has been resolved"... lol

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Telek, yup, absolutely agree, "Routing has absolutely nothing to do with DNS".  But, when I ran Pingplotter or WinMTR with OpenDNS or Rogers DNS, I would see a large reduction in the number of servers and final time to the target when OpenDNS was used, as opposed to using the Rogers DNS.  Makes no sense to me at the moment.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink right, so I'm very curious about the results of the DNS queries, and if that can be used as a potential fix for those who are experiencing problems.