Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@toolcubed wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if a Rogers engineer (Dave?) could help me out with something.  Over the past week, I've been running some speed tests after noticing sluggish performance with my Internet practically every night after 8pm.  I had this problem a while ago and after reporting it to Rogers back then, they said the problem was with congestion/noise on the neighbourhood node, which was fixed at the time. 

Toolcubed, I just pulled detailed reports from your area and see a very large increase in utilization over the last month or so. You node has be tagged as requiring work on the upstream but I'm not privy on the date. It all depends on the extent of the work required (from a simple combined node split at the CMTS to a physical split in the street that requires construction permits, fibers and a lot of digging).

Dave

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Thanks Dave 🙂 I really appreciate the info. Hopefully they'll complete the work soon.

asns
I'm here a lot
nothing has changed with the VPN settings and with previous modem I didn't have any issue with WiFi.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around
Is there any news on when the tentative fix for the latency issue and disconnect issue will be changed and updated to a permanent fix? I am still experiencing atleast 2 complete disconnectes from the internet a day, and it is a complete hinerance on my abilities to conduct both business and personal activities that require remot connections and streaming

@WestPoint wrote:
Is there any news on when the tentative fix for the latency issue and disconnect issue will be changed and updated to a permanent fix? I am still experiencing atleast 2 complete disconnectes from the internet a day, and it is a complete hinerance on my abilities to conduct both business and personal activities that require remot connections and streaming

A "tentative fix" usually means that a change was made in the software to improve the situation but we do not have a guarantee that it fixed all the underlying issues.

I can however tell you that the CODA-4582 modems are far mode stable with firmware 2.0.10.26T2 than with 2.0.10.24. From what I can tell, you are not registered as a participant in the trial firmware program so you are currently using the latest production firmware.

I suggest you join the program (by sending a private message to @CommunityHelps with your modem MAC address and serial number) first. Once you have the latest firmware, I'll be able to look further into your issues.

Dave

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor

Good Morning @RogersDave, do you mind updating the first page with the latest status on the CODA? Last update was Feb. 16th.

I'm particularly interested in the UDP packet loss & latency status.

@Double_K wrote:

Good Morning @RogersDave, do you mind updating the first page with the latest status on the CODA? Last update was Feb. 16th.

I'm particularly interested in the UDP packet loss & latency status.

Yes I will and it will be a good opportunity for everybody to chip in if anything has been missed.

Dave

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

That's the spirit! 😉

Has there been a fix for the coda udp latency issue ?

Telek
I plan to stick around

@Windwalker wrote:

@Windwalker wrote:

Also, I have noticed that speeds for Gigabit are infuenced by how current a computer and processor I am using.  I just set up an i5 third gen computer and ran the speed test without antivirus installed.

Just to clarify -- you don't need a modern computer, and antivirus should have zero effect. I have a 12 year old laptop running AVG free that can hit gigabit speeds no problem.  The quality of your network card and your drivers, however, will make a very large difference.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@lethalsniper

I believe .27 will sort this out.

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

As requested, I've updated the issue list in the first post.

If I missed anything or reported them incorrectly, send me a private message and I'll address that.

Dave

belowme
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave @Datalink

I've received a router with 2 black dots yesterday, all day things were fine since the switch.

This morning, again things were disconnected.

1. I did find an old cell phone I was using for something still on, with the date/time not configured correctly... connected to the wifi.  Would this cause issues (I turned it off to see what happens from here on out).
  2. My DOCSIS logs are still getting the following error (## in place of MAC Address)

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=64:77:7d:##:##:##;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:##:##:##;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

I understand the first CM-MAC address is the router.

What is the second CMTS-MAC address - CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:##:##:##; ????  

@belowme the CMTS - MAC Address is the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) Address.  The CMTS is the next upstream device to which your modem is connected.  It provides data services your Internet Modem, HD receivers, and Home Phone for yourself and all of your local neighbors who use Rogers for any of those services.  

As for the old phone, I wonder if it was using a specific IP address that was causing an IP conflict with another device.  With a Windows pc or laptop, you should see an alert if there is a conflicting IP address on the network. 

@belowme,

How many devices do you have on your network?

I suggest that you subscribe to the firmware trial program. It will be easier for me to troubleshoot your issues (which are likely resolved in the latest firmware).

To register to the program, send a private message to @CommunityHelps with your modem MAC Address and serial number. In the subject line, put "Firmware Trial Program".

As soon as you registration is completed, I will push the latest firmware we have in test and this should make the firmware a lot more stable for you. I will also have your MAC address to troubleshoot further.

Dave

belowme
I plan to stick around
@RogersDave - Firmware Trial Program message sent. Thanks

@belowme wrote:
@RogersDave - Firmware Trial Program message sent. Thanks

Your modem is now updated and I've made a small change to your WiFi configuration.

Let me know how it goes.

Dave

@RogersDave how long does it take to fix a node issue ? Now with the weather being better they should be digging, @RogersDave is there anyway you can look into it and see what's the hold up ? Since December 2016.

QueJoder
I plan to stick around

Dave:

Can you access my neighbourhood too and see if you can find reasons for my violent raise in GB consumption when my habits on internet have not changed one iota, OTHER than using speedtest.net about 60 measurements every day since early December 2016. ParticularIy perplexing are the numbers for the periods

Mar 8/17 - Apr 7/17

2351 GB

Feb 8/17 - Mar 7/17

889 GB

And this month Days 8, 10 and 11. At this rate I wonder how disparaging will end up being the month's total by May 7, 2017

I do not find any reasonable explanation for the explosion of consumption downloads/uploads

This what i found in my account

Billing Period

Total Usage

Usage Allowance

Additional Usage

Usage Charge

Mar 8/17 - Apr 7/17

2351GB

Unlimited

0GB

$0.00

Feb 8/17 - Mar 7/17

889GB

Unlimited

0GB

$0.00

Jan 8/17 - Feb 7/17

184GB

Unlimited

0GB

$0.00

Dec 8/16 - Jan 7/17

345GB

Unlimited

0GB

$0.00

Nov 8/16 - Dec 7/16

267GB

Unlimited

0GB

$0.00

Oct 8/16 - Nov 7/16

105GB

320GB

0GB

$0.00

Daily Usage

Download Usage (MB)

Upload Usage (MB)

Daily Total (MB)

04/12/17

04/11/17

04/10/17

04/09/17

04/08/17

Total Usage (MB)

149,540MB

Total Usage (GB)

146.03GB

Usage Allowance

Unlimited

Additional Use

0GB

Usage

$0.00

The last frame is about the current month consumption now since the start of my monthly cycle on April 8, 2017

UNQUOTE

Thank you kindly

Note:

Will be checking my Prtvate Messages in the next few days in case you need to communicate with Me if further details are needed to deal with My request

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

I have firmware 2.0.10.26T2 and still experience OFDM channels being dropped rendering my download speeds to be under 1 mb/s.  This issue is STILL not fixed with this firmware.

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Thanks

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor

@Queoder wrote:

Mar 8/17 - Apr 7/17

2351 GB

Feb 8/17 - Mar 7/17

889 GB

@QueJoder

The increase in your usage coincides with the dates that your modem's private info was shared publicly in February.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/421...

Therefore, it appears someone else is spoofing your MAC address to associate usage to your account. 

You'll want to take your modem into Rogers & tell them the modem needs to be scrapped/destroyed due to the MAC address being in the public domain.  Wouldn't want them refurb'ing it & assigning to another customer.  You have no idea what the person is downloading, and it may be illegal content.