CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@J04DAN1

This is going.... to be very hard to re-create for Hiltron.. Might take a while if they ever find a fix for that one.

Jeffj
I Plan to Stick Around

@J04DAN1 wrote:

Unfortunately no it is a Rogers issue. I have tested this many ways. It also only impacts Mass Effects MULTIPLAYER. Steps I have done to confirm the issue is with Rogers. 

1. NAT is Open on Xbox One with a static IP address assigned and all the ports suggested by Microsoft and EA for Andromeda correctly routed to Xbox One 

2. Every other multiplayer game works perfectly including recent releases like For Honor, Battlefied 1, Madden 17, Destiny, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Rainbow Six Seige. 

3. The issue is not present if I use my cell phone as a mobile hotspot and connect to Xbox Live. The phone is giving an IPv6 address as well but whatever routing issue is present with Rogers Cable Internet is not present on their mobile network. 

4. I have used two separate modems the older CGN and now the new CODA modem and both had the same issue. 

5. The issue is not present when I took my Xbox to a family members house whose Rogers modem was running an older firmware that was only providing IPv4 addresses. When only connected to IPv4 the issue again was fixed. 

6. I have factory reset both modems I tried, tested with UPNP on and off, tested with DMZ on and off. Factory reset Xbox One, and hard booted Xbox One multiple times. 

No matter what troubleshooting step I took Mass Effect Andromeda multiplayer and NHL 17 head to head both are completely unplayable as neither will connect to the opponent/host while using Rogers Cable Internet with an IPv6 address. 

I'm not saying you dont have an issue, I'm saing I have the same game and dont have these issues with IPV6 enabled and multiplayer, which is why i stated something else is afoot. 

Aside when xbox live was having issues for the past few days i have not had any issues connectivity wise on Mass Effect: Andromeda.

J04DAN1
I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnBeaudin

The fix actually quite easy. Just give us an option in the firmware of CODA modems to disable IPv6

KyleW1988
I Plan to Stick Around

I couldn't play NHL 17. This is what EA has posted. The only fix for me was buying a 3rd party router. For $60 everything is working again.

If you're having frequent disconnections on a peer-to-peer connection, particularly in games like FIFA, it's possible that your network is using newer IPv6 IP addresses rather than the more common (and previously standard) IPv4 type.

IPv4 IP addresses are 32-bit numerical strings separated by periods. For example, 192.168.1.1
IPv6 IP addresses are 128-bit hexadecimal strings separated by colons. For example, 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
Unfortunately, IPv6 and IPv4 are not yet at the point where they work well together on peer-to-peer connections. If you find that you lose your connection every time you play against a particular friend or whenever you join a match, chances are that you or your opponent are using IPv6.

You may need to speak to your ISP if you suspect this is the case, as they can advise you on any hardware or router firmware changes you might need to make to switch to IPv4 for gaming.
Jeffj
I Plan to Stick Around

@J04DAN1 wrote:

@JohnBeaudin

The fix actually quite easy. Just give us an option in the firmware of CODA modems to disable IPv6

If IPV6 is causing you issues with your peers, Set a static IPV4 address on the xbox one this should disable IPV6 dhcp leasing on the console. 

J04DAN1
I Plan to Stick Around

@KyleW1988

The problem with that stock reply from EA support is it isn't true. Multiplayer games work fine with IPv6. As I mentioned I can play every other multiplayer game with no issues on Xbox Live  even some EA titles like Madden and Battlefield 1. It's these two games and whatever routing technique they use to connect peers. The only fix is for them to patch the game which they won't since this issue impacts probably less then 1% of the player base or for Rogers to fix whatever is clogging the routing or give us the option to disable IPv6

J04DAN1
I Plan to Stick Around

@Jeffj

Any idea on how to do that?

Jeffj
I Plan to Stick Around

It should be under network settings on the console, then choose advanced settings.  

You can also do this on the modems end by address reservation via mac address. But setting it on the console will ensure that its forced to IPV4.

KyleW1988
I Plan to Stick Around

Every friend I have that has Rogers has this problem on NHL. Server based games work fine but for example HUT in NHL won't find an opponent but EASHL in NHL works fine. So it's totally dependent whether that game mode works on a peer to peer connection or server based connection. I also couldn't play rocket league. Any friend I have that has bell which hasn't upgraded to IPv6 yet has no problem. I only started having problems when Rogers enabled IPv6. So it would be a weird coincidence if all these games started giving me the finger at the same time. It's something to do with Rogers enabling IPv6 they should of put in a way to disable it. Like I said once I got my own router and made it IPv4 only there has been no issues.
J04DAN1
I Plan to Stick Around

@Jeffj

Unfortunately all this does is assign a static local IP address the same as DHCP reservation. This doesn't prevent the modem from issuing an IPv6 address as well.