Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave wrote:

As a side note, the performance/range of 5 GHz channels 36-40-44-48 on the CODA modem seems to be really poor. I recommend to everybody using WiFi functionality on the CODA-4582 to manually set their 5 GHz channel to 149-153-157-161.

Dave

@RogersDave  I know I've asked this before, but can you please share the configured transmit power settings for each of the 5GHz UNII bands?  Assumedly UNII-1 channels 36-48 are being limited to less than 19dBm in the firmware settings to restrict power to Industry Canada levels (since the hardware can exceed IC levels).  However, the bigger question is whether the UNII-3 channels 149-161, and 165, are being limited in the firmware.  This device is capable of 26dBm (~400mW) at VHT40 in UNII 3.  However, given the complaints of poor range, it appears the firmware is limiting this to below 19dBm (less than 20% of the possible transmit power).  It would be lazy firmware programming on Hitron's part if the same levels are used for UNII-1 & UNII-3.

As an improvement recommendation - this should be in the GUI for the user to select their transmit power (within IC acceptable levels).

It doesn't say anything about a udp fix.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@lethalsniper

@RogersDave Already said in another post that they were working to deploy .26 first and after that they will start working on the UDP fix, we just need to wait a little longer, should happen soon!

Worked, all channels are back, thanks.  Funny because a reboot from from the admin page was the first thing I tried and that didn't help.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@bahha wrote:

Worked, all channels are back, thanks.  Funny because a reboot from from the admin page was the first thing I tried and that didn't help.

Yes it's best to unplug from the power source, so I'm glad it worked for you! 

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

Nice Download speed here, to bad it's not always like that! Smiley Very Happy

Breadwinka
I plan to stick around

@Triple_Helix now only if they would fix the bufferbloat issue. Watching Youtube or downloading anything while playing a game causes my ping to go through the roof.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@Breadwinka

It's the next thing they will fix!

Dreaming is a wonderful thing .

Yesterday, our network operations team loaded an updated configuration file for the CODA-4582. What this configuration does is:

Implement the Pixel/Android WiFi fix

Changes automatic firmware update rules

With a simple reboot of your modem, you will be getting the new configuration with the Pixel/WiFi fix. I still recommend setting the 5 GHz band to channels 149-153-157-161 is it provides a much better range.

For the automatic firmware rules, the new setting will automatically set the software version to 2.0.10.24 (Production) for any brand new modem or any modem that has been factory reset. It does allow trial firmware to be loaded (as long as you don't perform a factory reset).

I am therefore ready to start pushing the next firmware 2.0.10.26 to CODA-4582 modems. This firmware does not officially fixes UDP issues but it fixes a memory problem that may be related. We will be working on the UDP issue based on logs/feedback received from this firmware version.

Dave

@RogersDave with the new config file, does yesterdays post still apply, in that after .26 is installed, a factory reset will result in a reload back to .24 while a reboot will retain .26?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Good news, can't wait to give feedback on .26!

@Datalink wrote:

@RogersDave with the new config file, does yesterdays post still apply, in that after .26 is installed, a factory reset will result in a reload back to .24 while a reboot will retain .26?

Before the change we made:

Upgrading a modem to .26, at reboot it would go back to .24 automatically.

After the config file:

Upgrade a modem to .26 works and persist across reboot. A factory reset will put the modem back into the state where it accepts firmwares from our provisionning system and will therefore go back to .24.

Essentially, the exclusion list is now maintained on your modem. As soon as I perform a manual firmware upgrade, you are automatically excluded from our management system. If you factory reset, you will be removed the list and the current production firmware is repushed.

This is for the moment the best balance to support automatic upgrade on boot. We are working on a longer term solution.

Dave

RyzenFX

@JohnBeaudin

Once you do get the firmware, can you update us if the you're still experiencing packet loss, lag, or jitter? 

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

Thanks @RogersDave I have received the new .26 Firmware!

Hardware Version1A
Software Version2.0.10.26T1

MegnaGaming
I plan to stick around

Also just got upgraded to version 2.0.10.26T1 - had brutal packet loss at the modem last night while streaming so hoping this fixes some of those issues!

RyzenFX

For those who have already received the .26 firmware, please try running some games to see if there's any UDP packet loss occuring. 

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@MegnaGaming wrote:

Also just got upgraded to version 2.0.10.26T1 - had brutal packet loss at the modem last night while streaming so hoping this fixes some of those issues!

I dont think it will, The UDP/packet drop issue wasnt adressed in this update, hopefully next. It appears to b due to excessive fragmentation on UDP cauing the modem to have a small heart attack, as well  as saturating the connection causes packet drops. Which hopefully the UDP fix adresses. 

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave

This is still happening, I know i talked to you about the latency weirdness vs being on a VPN  before. Here is a pictrure of it.

Untitled.png

Mythen
I plan to stick around

After getting a couple of "Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out"   error messages today and my connection actually stops when this happens. and I lose connection

Any thoughts

@Jeffj wrote:

@RogersDave

This is still happening, I know i talked to you about the latency weirdness vs being on a VPN  before. Here is a pictrure of it.

Untitled.png

Thanks, I will replicate this and push it up. Can you provide associated screenshots of your speedtests on and off VPN?

I will send you a PM with additional information on where to send these.

Dave