Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@lethalsniper wrote:
Yea I am and do is a lot of other users I'm thinking of going back to the cgn3acsr

@lethalsniper If you do go back to the CGN3ACSMR, do you mind letting me know if you notice improvements ? What were you getting on wireless 5G speeds test with the CGN3ACSMR & what you getting now with the CODA modem ? 

Probably getting the CGNM-3552 but will let you know, would there be any difference between the cgn3acsmr and the CGNM-3552 in latency/ping if both run on the same firmware?

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I am fortunately not a part of this ongoing beta testing and constant ongoing issues - once one is solved, it seems that another comes along.

Is there any sign that this is coming to a stable resolution.  I haven't notice whether there is an update on the original status reports by @RogersDave  I do understand that technology often does not go the way we expect once it leaves the lab and gets into the wild, but are we getting close.

People have been asking me about Rogers speed versus alternative companies and speed, and I am now saying, that the high speed solutions are not stable on Rogers, although it is being marketed strongly, but you will notice that they are now marketing mixes of solutions of speed and bandwidth solutions, and are finally acknowledging that lower speeds like even 30Mhz with 250GB bandwidth is more than adequate for many users depending upon what you use, and speed is not the be all and end all for all users - that each person needs to assess their usage patterns, and things like stability, latency, speed, bandwidth are all factors, and their decision recently to provide only 2.4mhz wifi in the 30 mhz speed plans, means that the modem is basically unusable in high density wifi areas and you need to pay for a higher end modem - it is time for everyone to just say that the standard needs to be dual band for those who don't have the higher band on their devices, and the need for 5 in some areas and drop pure 2.4 wifi modems totally.  And maybe time to go back to a model of just pure modems without gateways, because many of us end up with routers in place for various reasons, or at least give the alternative.  
The third party providers, all provide either modem only, or choice of modem/router, or gateway.  Yes, it is more front end cost, but the life of a high quality modem is pretty good, in particular if you go dual band, multiple antennas, focussed directionality of signal, and get one at ac level to prepare for possibly of new devices.

Just wondering what the status is and are we getting close or not.  I have stopped following closely, although I am interested on a technical level, but it has been going on for a long time now.  Compliments for the persistent of the tech team and plugging forward, and the patience of beta testers.  I do hope that these modems with instablility issues are not being sold at the production level - that will create nothing but annoyed customers.  Let's not repeat the Navigatr escapade.

Bruce

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

My Upload speed sucks again. Smiley Mad

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

I know Dave is working hard to make our internet better, but I don't think they're working on the UDP yet, they are working on other stuff first, but hopefully UDP is next because it's a priority for me anyway 😉

Just a quick update on what is coming. I have firmware 2.0.10.26 but I can't push it to anybody yet. All modems are currently forced on firmware 2.0.10.24 as this was the only way to re-enable IPv6.

Later this week or first thing next week, I'll be in a position to upgrade trial participants to 2.0.10.26. This firmware will include fixes for SSID special characters (name and password) as well as a fix for modem rebooting on their own. From what we have observed, modems tend to reboot when they have more than 10 clients connected to them.

For UDP, I need to take a live trace of the issue on my modem and that has been really problematic. I tried multiple ways to reproduce this issue and I don't see it myself. Next thing I need to try is torrents as it appears this was problematic. As soon as I have a proper debug trace, we should be able to push Intel and Hitron for a quick fix.

Dave

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks for the update Dave, as for the UDP issue, we can try to help Dave with any logs or pertinent informations if we can re-create the issue, I am sure that would help him. Let's work together to make our internet better 🙂

tonytoronto
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave  I'm suprised everyone having hard time duplicating udp issue, it happens 100% of the time, and more times than not takes 5-10 minutes of playing games based on udp packets. CODA2, battlefield just couple examples. I seen it happens on my kids PC's all the time, wired-wireless same deal.

As of last night, that stopped. they played last night and this morning and so far all the craziness stopped with the 3552 modem. Websites also load much faster. The CODA needs alot of work to make it everyday gateway for most people.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
My speed deteriorates all the way down to 35 mbps . When I reboot my router my speeds jump back up , not sure if it's my Internet or router. Also when I test my connection speed on my Onhub best reading I've ever seen was 200 mbps.

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around
Not sure if anyone else has been seeing this issue as well but last Thursday my area had DOCSIS 3.1 enabled and it was stable for about 48 hours (that I noticed). However after that about every 24 hours I get a RCS Partial Service error and the device restarts. I did notice that my 3.0 channels are missing 2-3 but I just made the assumption that they were clawed back due to the fact that my area was 3.1 enabled.

It looks like something is losing sync after a while and causes a reboot to re-establish a connection. Prior to the 3.1 being enabled the modem has been pretty steady so I am not sure if it is just a coincidence or something to do with the 3.1 being enabled.

Thoughts anyone?

how much of a latency difference now that you have will the CGNM-3552 modem when it comes to online gaming ? Have you done any pingplotter test and notice any diff , because I'm getting some pretty high latency when it comes to peek times I don't know if it's the docs 3.1 that causing this because I really didnt Have any of this type of issues when on 3.0. @tonytoronto

I have a question for everybody with very unstable connection (I know this is a vague definition) but looking at really slow downlink speeds (below 50 Mbps) or serious UDP problems.

Can you tell me how many devices (both wired and wifi) are connected on your network?

When I try to reproduce some of the UDP issues, I only have a single device on my test modem and I'm wondering if that has an impact in my inability to reproduce the issues you are facing.

Dave

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

I have a question for everybody with very unstable connection (I know this is a vague definition) but looking at really slow downlink speeds (below 50 Mbps) or serious UDP problems.

Can you tell me how many devices (both wired and wifi) are connected on your network?

When I try to reproduce some of the UDP issues, I only have a single device on my test modem and I'm wondering if that has an impact in my inability to reproduce the issues you are facing.

Dave

2 Smart TVs,  2 laptops, 1 Windows Tablet, 2 Android phones, 1 Desktop PC, 1 Xbox One S,  1 HD PVR Receiver. 1 TED 5000 Monitor system.   

That's all the normal always there equipment, thats not counting devices that come and go. 

1 laptop, 4 iPhones, 2 Xbox ones

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

1 hardwired cat7 computer

1 laptop

2 cell phones

2 ipad air 2

2x 4K tv

1 blue ray driver

1 nintendo switch

tonytoronto
I plan to stick around

@lethalsniper wrote:
how much of a latency difference now that you have will the CGNM-3552 modem when it comes to online gaming ? Have you done any pingplotter test and notice any diff , because I'm getting some pretty high latency when it comes to peek times I don't know if it's the docs 3.1 that causing this because I really didnt Have any of this type of issues when on 3.0. @tonytoronto

If there is any difference, its not noticable at all. I just asked kids and they had zero packet loss today, and im sure they been on it most of the day.  Lets see how it goes with wireless, CODA used to drop connections all the time, i was suprised by the range of the 3552, the signal was 1 bar lower but speed was doubled of the CODA, may not even bother putting it bridge mode for now.  If you can get one, get it--at this point im sure you wont regret it.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave

I have 1 wired device and 10 wireless devices connected to the modem.

I have tried doing exactly what you did by connecting 1 device to the modem when testing for UDP issues, and it was still present. However, I can try testing for it again once I am able to switch to the CODA.

tonytoronto
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

Dave

@RogersDave  6-7 wired devices, from PC's to RaspberryPi, and anywhere from 5-10 wireless devices, laptops, phones, ipad and couple appliances, and VOIP phone.

@RogersDave look at these amazing speeds on the coda modem firmware .24 with 2 black dots and when i call rogersthey tell me everything looks good realy ?  test done hardwired with cat 6 cable

Untitledspeedtest14.png

DEERA
I've been here awhile
Been encountering a very odd issue. All android devices are lagging or timing out ever since the 2.0.10.24 update to the firmware. Have tried resetting the coda modem and even switched it out for the new 2 black dot model and still the same issue. Streaming apps such as google music, netflix, youtube and spotify are unusable. IOs and Windows works fine. Also if I put the modem in bridge mode and set up a 3rd party router the android issue disappears. However I would rather just use the coda as my router than have 2 set up. Any ideas of settings I could change to rectify this situation? Is this a possible bug in the .24 software?

@DEERA wrote:
Been encountering a very odd issue. All android devices are lagging or timing out ever since the 2.0.10.24 update to the firmware. Have tried resetting the coda modem and even switched it out for the new 2 black dot model and still the same issue. Streaming apps such as google music, netflix, youtube and spotify are unusable. IOs and Windows works fine. Also if I put the modem in bridge mode and set up a 3rd party router the android issue disappears. However I would rather just use the coda as my router than have 2 set up. Any ideas of settings I could change to rectify this situation? Is this a possible bug in the .24 software?

DEERA,

Send me a private message with your MAC address and I'll see if the "Pixel fix" will make a difference for you.

Dave

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@DEERA wrote:

@RogersDave Hold on there is a newer CODA with 2 Black Dots? Are they any better and should we change our single Black Dot Modems?