CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

I had to switch down to the CGNM-3552 b/c the UDP packet loss was pretty bad. I'm HOPING we tunnel vision into this issue this week so we can get significant progress on it, it really needs to get fixed quick. @RogersDave says might related to UDP fragmentation but we need to to be sure of it. 

We need this issue fixed quickly.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Have you noticed any improvements now that your on the CGN3552 ?

Yeah, it's so much better at handling UDP. Ping is low and packet loss is low.  Other than that, the CODA is better at everything else. 

I'm a Regular

Oh that's good and isn't there suppose to be another firmware update for the CGN3552 which supposedly better for gaming ?
I'm a Regular

Which firmware are you on with the CGN3552 ?
I Plan to Stick Around

When I run the ipv6-test website I have never gotten better than 04/20 - I think I even got that while gateway mode and bridge mode directly connected to the CODA.  Do I really need to be overly concerned with IPv6 at this point in time?

I Plan to Stick Around

@markopas wrote:

When I run the ipv6-test website I have never gotten better than 04/20 - I think I even got that while gateway mode and bridge mode directly connected to the CODA.  Do I really need to be overly concerned with IPv6 at this point in time?

Markopas, no need to worry about IPv6.......for most transition from IPv4 to 6 will be transparent. IPv6 is a greatly needed protocol, particularly as we get into more IoT (Internet of Things) devices...IPv6 allows for significantly more IP adresses (Trillions) vs the 4.3 Billion in IPv4 plus much better security. Both Google and Facebook are totally on IPv6....but we don't notice it. It is more important for Rogers as a Service provider to have modems enabled for IPv6 traffic......unless you have a specific need to communicate with IPv6 only appliances. Here's more info on the subject > https://www.internetsociety.org/ipv6-frequently-asked-questions

CGN3ACR is getting this end of March

4.5.8.29 (Target end of March 2017)

• This is a partial candidate list
  • Fix: uplink speed
  • Improvement: ICMP Latency
  • Improvement: TCP Latency

I am curious to see after they get that update.. how much thier ping will be improved in online games.. if it's worth it I might go back to that modem because so far the Coda is laggy in online games.

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

CGN3ACR is getting this end of March

4.5.8.29 (Target end of March 2017)

• This is a partial candidate list
  • Fix: uplink speed
  • Improvement: ICMP Latency
  • Improvement: TCP Latency

I am curious to see after they get that update.. how much thier ping will be improved in online games.. if it's worth it I might go back to that modem because so far the Coda is laggy in online games.

@JohnBeaudin Depends on if your game uses TCP or UDP (or both), but just because ping (ICMP) may be improved, doesn't mean you won't be laggy due to UDP latency.

Using traffic shaping, a provider/device manufacturer could prioritize your ICMP traffic giving you the illusion of improved ping times, yet still have UDP packet latency causing "lagginess".

For most games, you want to focus on improvement in UDP latency.

@Double_K

Almost all games I play use UDP, but yeah as a gamer I am looking for what would be best for me, since the CODA is not performing well latency wise in online games I am trying to see if something else would work better.

anyhow, let's see how it goes.