CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Dave confirmed beta testers should receive .21T sometimes this week!

Patch notes looks promising.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Triple_Helix wrote:

Something coming down the pipe! http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

2.0.10.21T1 (Preliminary change log - Not deployed yet) *

• Fix: Unable to complete Easy Connect when using emojis in SSID or password
  • Fix: Samba and UPnP not working properly on WiFi
  • Fix: ICMP packet loss and WinMTR / PingPlotter reported packet loss
  • Fix: Bridge mode not working on certain 3rd party routers
  • Fix: DMZ host address can't be modified
  • Fix: WPS "cancel" button not working
  • Improvement: Switch setup menu now visible in GUI
  • Improvement: Connected device list contains more accurate data
  • Improvement: Addition on IPv6 specific firewall configuration (not complete)

Can't wait to have this. Hopefully, it will fix the bridge mode not working on TP-Link C2600.

Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having 1gb internet service issues for the past couple of months. I have had 4 swop out modems and still not solution. I know almost all the techs in my service area by name. Unfortunately today I was answered at the customer call in centre technical support for internet by someone who just doesn't get it. She paused during our call to contact her secondary support. I though you should be told about this and even request the recorded call to enlighten yourself as to the knowledge being passed out to loyal Rogers Customers. Apparently the 1 Gbp modem divides the 1 gb into two 500 Mb ... 500 for direct wiring and 500 for Wifi (2.4 and 5) and that is why I will never get over the 300 I am showing on my speed test and my plan says up to 1 Gbps service with no minimum number in the plan. I said then I must have been really lucky when I had the new white modem as I was getting almost 800 Gbps until it degraded down and I lost the 5 g wifi. Then when I call customer service to ask for a refund of some percentage on my monthly bill I get the "Sir, there is nothing wrong with our Gbps plans". Do all the technical support people have their heads in the dirt or are they sticking to the corporate script as no one admits to anything wrong with the 1 Gbps plan except all the blogs and forums.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having 1gb internet service issues for the past couple of months. I have had 4 swop out modems and still not solution. I know almost all the techs in my service area by name. Unfortunately today I was answered at the customer call in centre technical support for internet by someone who just doesn't get it. She paused during our call to contact her secondary support. I though you should be told about this and even request the recorded call to enlighten yourself as to the knowledge being passed out to loyal Rogers Customers. Apparently the 1 Gbp modem divides the 1 gb into two 500 Mb ... 500 for direct wiring and 500 for Wifi (2.4 and 5) and that is why I will never get over the 300 I am showing on my speed test and my plan says up to 1 Gbps service with no minimum number in the plan. I said then I must have been really lucky when I had the new white modem as I was getting almost 800 Gbps until it degraded down and I lost the 5 g wifi. Then when I call customer service to ask for a refund of some percentage on my monthly bill I get the "Sir, there is nothing wrong with our Gbps plans". Do all the technical support people have their heads in the dirt or are they sticking to the corporate script as no one admits to anything wrong with the 1 Gbps plan except all the blogs and forums.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@DMc1 wrote:

OK, I had to chuckle about the 500 + 500.

But, the "no minimum number" is actually correct.  All plans are sold as "Speeds up to...", as no ISP will gaurantee a speed.

This is in their "fine print" details, which ironically, also states that you need a wired connection AND a wireless connection to get Gigabit speeds (which would mean your PC needs to be both plugged into the gateway, and connected wirelessly to the gateway - clearly the wording is incorrect and needs to be updated by their lawyers)

"Speeds may vary with internet traffic, server gateway/router, computer (quality, location in the home, software and applications installed), home wiring, home network or other factors. An Ethernet/wired connection and at least one wireless connection are required to reach maximum download speeds of up to 1 Gbps for Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet."  (@CommunityHelps can you get this wording on the Internet page at https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet addressed?  You don't need both to reach 1 Gbps)

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave This is about the 2nd time in two days i have had my modem randomly restart on me with no changes? 

Network Architect
Network Architect

@RyzenFX wrote:

For anyone who have used the gateway's WPS button, have they noticed that after establishing a connection, the LED stays green for more than 5 minutes? It's not a big problem, but I would like to see an enhancement that forces the LED to stay green for 1 minute, after establishing a connection with a device. At the same time, it does worry me to see the LED stay green for more than 5 minutes. 

I also noticed that the blue downlink LED intermittently flash light blue every 2-3 minutes. I noticed this with the previous CODA-4582's that I have exchanged as well with my current one.

@RyzenFX, I do not have all the details but I know this was identified as an enhancement. Given that there are changes to the WPS functionality in 2.0.10.21 (the cancel button), this might have been resolved as well.

@Double_K wrote:

This is in their "fine print" details, which ironically, also states that you need a wired connection AND a wireless connection to get Gigabit speeds (which would mean your PC needs to be both plugged into the gateway, and connected wirelessly to the gateway - clearly the wording is incorrect and needs to be updated by their lawyers)

"Speeds may vary with internet traffic, server gateway/router, computer (quality, location in the home, software and applications installed), home wiring, home network or other factors. An Ethernet/wired connection and at least one wireless connection are required to reach maximum download speeds of up to 1 Gbps for Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet."  (@CommunityHelps can you get this wording on the Internet page at https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet addressed?  You don't need both to reach 1 Gbps)

@Double_K, just to be clear on where this wording comes from. Technically, an Ethernet port will never reach 1 Gbps per second. Perhaps 950 Mbps but not 1 Gbps. Therefore, to reach 1 Gbps you really need to have multiple connections and wired + wifi is the easiest to achieve as most people wouldn't have 2 NICs on their PC.

It gets tricky however because you then have 2 IP addresses but that is a different story.

@Breadwinka wrote:

@RogersDave This is about the 2nd time in two days i have had my modem randomly restart on me with no changes? 

@Breadwinka, I'm adding this today to the issue list. I don't have an explanation yes but it is being escalated to Hitron.

Dave

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For anyone who has seen a random restart occur, is there anything in the modem's event log that coincides with the restart time or is there anything that is visible on a pingplot that occurs before the restart?

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave wrote:

@Double_K wrote:

@Double_K, just to be clear on where this wording comes from. Technically, an Ethernet port will never reach 1 Gbps per second. Perhaps 950 Mbps but not 1 Gbps. Therefore, to reach 1 Gbps you really need to have multiple connections and wired + wifi is the easiest to achieve as most people wouldn't have 2 NICs on their PC.

It gets tricky however because you then have 2 IP addresses but that is a different story.

Any chance we could get link aggregation in these new routers? Then you could drop the "wireless" part of that message 😉

http://kb.netgear.com/29910/How-do-I-enable-Ethernet-port-aggregation-on-my-Nighthawk-R8500-or-R9000...

http://kb.netgear.com/29915/R8500-Port-Aggregation-FAQs

See also: 2+3 graph here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9880/netgear-nighthawk-x8-r8500-ac5300-router-brings-link-aggregation-...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to note, neither the older 802.3  Link Aggregation Group or the newer 802.1ax Link Aggregation Control Protocol is listed on the 4582's datasheet.  The question is, is this merely done via firmware, or, does the Aggregation Protocol have specific hardware requirements?  If its firmware, then maybe there is some hope of seeing this.  If this requires specific hardware that isn't already built it, then its not going to happen on this modem.