CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Individuals who have this issue generally see random small fluctuations on the download graph on the Rogers speed test site. These fluctuations are much more noticeable on the upload test graph because you would see much more extreme fluctuations. You wouldn't see a straight line that you used to see on the CGN3ACSMR.

I have been in close contact with Dave about the issue and the .19 firmware includes something that allows him to check if your modem directly affected by this issue. This firmware allows for the diagnosis of the problem.

The interference issue is caused by interference in the docsis tuner.

To eliminate factors, a technician will be coming in to swap this new modem and check my set-up to make sure that nothing is causing the modem to have this interference issue. I will be posting the FCC ID when I get home later today and will post updates on the progress on my end.

Also, individuals who may think they are affected by this problem should have the .19 firmware or anything above it are encouraged to post their speedtest results from the Rogers speed test site.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 10.00.54 AM.png

I just did a wireless speed test and this was my result, my upload is a bit choppy, do you think I suffer from the interference issue?

I don't have a wired computer to test LAN speed, only my wireless MacBook Pro.

@RyzenFX @RogersDave

What are the causes of this tuner interference? Is it related to placement, bad splitter, wiring, amps on the line?

thanks

Right now, they are saying it is a problem with my node. Like I said, it might as well just be a problem on my end. I will post an update when the technician comes on Saturday.

I would STRONGLY hold off jumping to any conclusions as of yet.
I Plan to Stick Around

Is this interference issue on wired or wireless speeds? I am running in brige mode, so only wired connections to the modem. I do tend to have erratic speeds during a test (see screenshot on DL). Note that my UL is basically perfect, but this isn't always the case, just got lucky on this one I guess, it is more often around 30 with lots of peaks and valleys. I am running .20 so would have the function to identify if there is interference or not (assuming this is not just for the wireless radios in the CODA).

ScreenShot2.jpg

Network Architect
Network Architect

I can't keep up answering all the questions so here's a mega post that will hopefully clarify some concerns.

@gp-se wrote:
nothing needs to be done, it's just the way the test calculates buffer bloat. Speedboost is a GOOD thing.

@gp-se, I fully agree, I simply wanted to understand where the problem was coming from. We still have work to do on the CODA-4582 regarding bufferbloat (and it's on my tracking list) but the problem is different than was is reported by DSLReport speedtest.

@damir wrote:

I must say that i do not remember the last time i had this 'slow' download speed.

I had issues with upload recently due to the issues on my node, but that was 'fixed'.

Since i got this .20 firmware, i can't say that i am very happy with down speed especially, upload is so so, far from advertised speed 'of course' (sadly), but download .. on Gigabit, 150-250, the most i saw was 700mbit, but not for long.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5961800909.png

I can't say .20 is the reason for this, i don't know, but, it started happening since i got it.

@damir, for customers on firmware 2.0.10.20 and getting low speeds, I will check at your local node but I first need to understand if a reboot of the modem temporily fixes the issue. Getting all the area stats takes me quite a while so I want to be sure I'm looking at the right issue.

@Double_K wrote:

What is the hardware version on the system info page?

@Double_K, the new modems are still white. The only difference is that there is a black circle beside the MAC address sticker on the modem itself and on the box as well.

@LF1949 wrote:

Just switched to the 4582 a couple of days ago. I finally retired my 18 year old SB5100. Most things seem to be working well but I do have one question. If I view connected devices I find an active device with an address of 192.168.0.254 (outside of the DHCP range) with a name of "COUGARMOUNTAIN". What the heck is that?

@LF1949, Cougarmountain is the ARM processor in the modem for the gateway. Not sure why it shows up in your connected device however but nothing to worry about.

@gp-se wrote:

What are the symptoms of the interference issue? How would a user know if he is afftected by this.

@gp-se, It is hard for end users to detect this situation but it may be possible in some cases.

In the DOCSIS Status page, there could be missing channel (the channel ID column will completely skip a number). In some cases, there will be some channels with a SNR really low (10 to 15). There are also cases where none of the above shows a problem.

We are running scans on the network to flag affected modem and I'll be in contact with some of you to expedite a replacement.

@mahomed wrote:
@RyzenFX @RogersDave

What are the causes of this tuner interference? Is it related to placement, bad splitter, wiring, amps on the line?

thanks

@mahomed, As stated previously, the interference is generally internal to the modem where 2.4 GHz WiFi can leak into the DOCSIS tuner and affect certain frequencies. This only affects a subset of modems but the newer generation modems (with a black dot) have extra protection against that.

@Double_K wrote:

@RyzenFX, thanks!

Did the FCC ID / IC number change on the back of the modem?

How does it have better shielding from interference?

@Double_K, There is no other indication, no difference in FCC ID or hardware revision. It strictly has an extra shield on top of the DOCSIS tuner.

Dave

Network Architect
Network Architect

Let me test this behavior and if I can reproduce, I will open a bug on this one.

So NAT loopback works on WiFi but not on Wired? That is for the client of for the server (or both)?

Dave

Network Architect
Network Architect

Ok I was able to reproduce and will add to the tracking list.

Dave

Highlighted
Rogers Employee damir
Rogers Employee

Dave, there was a noise on my node, confirmed / fixed.

I can PM you more info about it (in case you need it / details - as i have them).
There is no more packet loss, however;

I am still facing a lot slower speeds compared to previous firmware versions.

I did try couple of times to factory reset the modem, that did not help.

I tried gateway mode, that did not help.

I tried different times of the day, same outputs, even 3am-7am.

If you have any  other ideas / if you require any specific tests, please let me know which / what, and i will provide it.

Thanks,

Damir

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for actually testing that, I appreciate it Dave!