CODA-4582 Modem & DOCSIS 3.1 in North York area

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CODA-4582 Modem & DOCSIS 3.1 in North York area

I think you will find that UDP performance has been greatly improved with the 4582 and V2.0.10.27.  I can run 500 Mb/s down, 50 Mb/s up UDP, without any missing UDP datagrams.  Above that, the missing datagram numbers start to grow.  You would probably have to run an overclocked Windows pc or maybe run linux to test the modems UDP performance to its limits.  I suspect that 500/50 is far above anything you will see for UDP capability for an XBox, PS3/4 or typical pc. 

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

I find the cgn ignite rocket modem plays better with NHL 17 on the Xbox one it give me better ping then the coda
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

CODA with V2.0.10.27 loaded?  If that wasn't the case at the time, have a look at the following post and look at the ping time comparison between .26 and .27:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-Open-Issues-for-Investigation/m-p/393227#M44...

Those are simultaneous download/upload ping test results.  .27 shows considerable improvement over .26

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Yea with .27 firmware ...ping was lower before I would get roughly lowest ping was 15 and highest 20 on the cgn modem but now on the coda I get anywhere from 19 - 29
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is that ping time to the CMTS or ping time to a target somewhere?

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Nhl 17 shows us ping in game under network performance
RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@tony2tran91 I'm glad to say that the gaming performance of the CODA-4582 with firmware 2.0.10.27 has been fantastic. In my gaming sessions of League of Legends, Battlefield 1, and CS:GO I have noticed that my ping has decreased. With this also comes increased responsiveness and thus smoother gameplay. Having said this, it is safe to switch from your CGNM-3552 to the CODA-4582. Robot Happy

Firmware 2.0.10.27 was a big one to hit the CODA-4582 as it included a new Intel base code for the Puma 7 which dramatically reduced buffer bloat. Buffer bloat occurs when the modem is handling too much data and it has to drop packets in order to process the data effectively- this was to blame for the modem's poor gaming performance pre-2.0.10.27. Since 2.0.10.27 was released, a lot of users have reported positive feedback such as lower ping, dramatically lower buffer bloat, and generally more consistent performance. Since the release of 2.0.10.27 it has been quiet here on the forums so I'm suspecting the majority of the users are happy with their CODA-4582. 

Looking ahead on the CODA-4582, firmware 2.0.10.30 will include an improvement in WiFi performance (increased speed), and maybe increased range.

It's an all clear to make the switch to the CODA-4582. When you have the time, make the switch to the CODA-4582 and let us know on how it performs. If you do need help don't hesitate to ask for help from us as well Smiley Happy

RyzenFX

@lethalsniper From what I know and have read, the UDP packet loss issue is to blame due to the poor buffer bloat performance of the modem on firmware versions pre-2.0.10.27. 

UDP packet loss is still seen on firmware 2.0.10.27, BUT that is because my node has high uplink usage (it's not the problem dropping the packets, the node is).

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

What do you mean you have high uplink usage on your node ? Your upload speed drops ?
RyzenFX

In short yes, my upload speed drops because my node does not have enough bandwidth to handle all of the outgoing data. As a result, packets are dropped as the node tries to squeeze in more outgoing data.

Even if the upload speed goes down to 20Mbps, I still notice my ping increase in League of Legends from 25ms to 40+ms.

If the node upload speed drops down to 20Mbps on a daily basis, at that point Rogers should decide to segment the node or initiate upstream capacity uplift. It's ridiculous to have upload speeds as low as that now a days. Throughout the last 6-7 months, I have seen the trend that the upstream usage has increased by a lot. Rogers should be working to re-define when to plan for upstream capacity uplift, especially given the fact that DOCSIS 3.1 Upstream (OFDMA) is around the corner.