CODA-4582 Modem & DOCSIS 3.1 in North York area

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

CODA-4582 Modem & DOCSIS 3.1 in North York area

Hello,

I am on the 100u Ignite package. Thinking about switching to the CODA-4582 modem. Is anyone using the CODA-4582 near the Keele and Sheppard area? Is DOCSIS 3.1 enabled in that area? Is the modem stable?

Currently using the 3552 modem, still find a bit of lag when playing games on PS4 (wired), so just wanted to see if now is a good time to switch to the CODA modem.  

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted

Re: CODA-4582 Modem & DOCSIS 3.1 in North York area

Hello, @tony2tran91

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. While you are waiting for the other members to join the conversation, I would like to provide the quick update that the DOCSIS 3.1 downstream deployment has been completed in your area. 

As for the CODA-4582 modem, we have about three active threads discussing various aspects like speeds, latency, lag etc., please feel free to browse them to make your decision;

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

I would like to invite @JohnBeaudin@RyzenFX@gp-se@4kgigabitguy@Datalink and other members to the discussion, thank you all. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@tony2tran91

The CODA with D3.1 is getting nice results, but the UDP issue is still not fixed, (It should be fixed soon as hiltron and rogers are working together to find a fix).

If you want to play safe, you can wait until that fix is done.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tony2tran91 I would suggest getting the CODA 4582, Rogers is tuning the network for DOCSIS 3.1 going forward. Hitron and Intel are also going to be spending more resources on the new CODA platform rather than the old CGN platform. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

By the way, learned Bell is having UDP problems in some cases, in particular things like majic jack and voice over IP - they have workarounds, but it won't work natively.

So as this technology goes forward, there are glitches here and there all around.  It really is still beta on the higher end stuff.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Keele and Wilson here. Coda 4582 is not stable, not wired even less when wireless. They have been working on fixes since 2016. Now i am judging it for the Gigabit package, maybe in your case with 100Mbps downloads it is a different story. Docsis 3.1 and IPV6 are activated in my area.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hey there @tony2tran91, I'm up north in Vaughan and currently on DOCSIS 3.1 with the 100u package aswell. I have to say that D3.1 download has been stable quite for me. I've seen in speedtests that my ping was went down by (4-5ms) and if you do some gaming you can probably notice this decrease as well. Once D3.1 upload is enabled, you can expect your ping to go down a bit more.

In terms of maintaining the speeds that come with 100u on the 4582, I haven't had a single problem maintaining those speeds even during peak time. Download has always been rock solid and I usually maintain 130Mbps, that is, after having it speedboost to 200Mbps at the beginning of each speedtest. Maintaining 10Mbps upload has been no problem, but at times I could have it drop below it as my node is saturated on the uplink. 

I do avise you that there still some lingering problems with the CODA-4582 such as the UDP packet loss issue which can affect you if you do quite a bit of gaming. This UDP packet loss could be caused by this variable upload speed seen on the modem. However,  the packet loss is more noticable in latency-sensitive games such as League of Legends.

In terms of WiFi range, the range on the 2.4 band is good at the moment, but I am seeing that there still needs to be more optimizations made to increase the range of the 5GHz band. These optimizations should be coming in the next firmware version. I do want you to realize that the CODA-4582 can output more speed than the CGNM-3552 over WiFi because it has more antennas which are more powerful. 

Overall, I do reccomend that you switch to the CODA-4582 but I would wait untill firmware version 2.0.10.26 is deployed network wide as it seems to be showing really good results at the moment or wait 1 more month. 

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply @RyzenFX. How has the CODA-4582 gaming performance been with these last few updates? Should be safe to switch to it from the CGNM-3552?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tony2tran91 wrote:

Thanks for the reply @RyzenFX. How has the CODA-4582 gaming performance been with these last few updates? Should be safe to switch to it from the CGNM-3552?

@tony2tran91

If you're a gamer then the CODA is the way to go. Latency is improved with DOCSIS 3.1, which the CODA supports.

I'm a Regular

Really ? I thought the udp was already fixed with the coda and 27 firmware , is there going to be a fix anytime soon ?