CODA-4582 MoCA 2.0 setup

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 MoCA 2.0 setup

@Datalink - Update, I finished the suggested short run test after updating both adapters (will do the privacy setting after) by only checking the D-High checkbox (D-Low and D-ext unchecked).  Speedtest results from fast.com using the shortrun and permanent location yielded the same results.

That said, I slightly updated the config of the basement adapter as it wasn't working in the original config posted.  It makes me think that I may be better off with a 3 way splitter ??

Here's the new config:

-> connected to the TV out from the basement MoCA Adapter

incoming -> MoCA -> Attenuator ->  MoCA     -> Nextbox in Family room

cable              Filter                                 Splitter    -> modem in Basement

-> Nextbox in Basement

Network cables:

modem in basement -> switch -> router -> Basement MoCA Adapter 

Basement MoCA adapter coax:

basement MoCA Adapter -> MoCA -> second floor MoCA adapter (coax) -> Nextbox on second floor via TV out coax

-> TV out current goes back into 4 way MoCA splitter in basement (but I don't think this is needed)???

Updated modem signals below:

DOCSIS Overview
Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1603000000256QAM1.800938.605
2597000000256QAM1.700837.356
3609000000256QAM2.3001037.356
4615000000256QAM2.6001138.983
5279000000256QAM-2.200137.356
6579000000256QAM-0.900535.780
7585000000256QAM-0.100636.175
8591000000256QAM0.700736.610
9621000000256QAM2.6001238.605
10633000000256QAM2.9001338.605
11639000000256QAM3.2001438.983
12645000000256QAM3.0001538.605
13651000000256QAM3.6001638.983
14657000000256QAM3.8001738.605
15663000000256QAM3.5001838.605
16669000000256QAM3.6001938.605
17675000000256QAM3.3002038.605
18681000000256QAM3.3002138.983
19687000000256QAM3.3002238.983
20693000000256QAM3.4002338.605
21699000000256QAM3.2002438.605
22705000000256QAM3.1002538.605
23711000000256QAM3.2002638.983
24717000000256QAM2.7002737.636
25723000000256QAM2.9002838.605
26825000000256QAM5.1002938.605
27831000000256QAM4.7003037.636
28837000000256QAM4.5003138.605
29843000000256QAM4.2003237.356
30849000000256QAM3.800237.636
31855000000256QAM3.100337.356
32861000000256QAM3.800437.636
OFDM Downstream Overview
ReceiverFFT typeSubcarr 0 Frequency(MHz)PLC lockedNCP lockedMDC1 lockedPLC power(dBmv)
0NANANONONONA
14K275600000YESYESYES-1.099998
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandwidth
138596000ATDMA - 64QAM41.50033200000
230596000ATDMA - 64QAM38.75016400000
323700000ATDMA - 64QAM38.00026400000
OFDM/OFDMA Overview
Channel IndexStatelin Digital AttDigital AttBW (sc's*fft)Report PowerReport Power1_6FFT Size
0DISABLED0.50000.00000.0000-inf-1.00004K
1DISABLED0.50000.00000.0000-inf-1.00004K

***Edited info: Keep personal info private. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rmann2020 please delete the data for the:

IP Address

Gateway IP Address

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Oops... removed
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rmann2020 here's what I had imagined for the coax network, from your posting earlier today:

-> MoCA Adapter -> Nextbox on second floor

incoming -> MoCA -> Attenuator ->  MoCA     -> Nextbox in Family room

cable              Filter                                 Splitter    -> MoCA Adapter -> modem in Basement

-> Nextbox in Basement

So, slightly expanding on the splitter connections:

- port 1->  coax cable run upstairs -> MoCA Adapter -> coax -> Nextbox on 

MoCA       - port 2 -> coax cable -> Nextbox in Family room                           second floor

Splitter       - port 3 -> coax cable -> MoCA Adapter -> coax -> modem in Basement

- port 4->  coax cable -> Nextbox in Basement

In this case both MoCA adapters use the TV output port to support the connected device.

Looking at your chart, it looks like you have the configuration set this way, if I'm interpreting this correctly:

- port 1->  MoCA Adapter -> cable run upstairs -> MoCA Adapter -> coax ->

Nextbox on second floor

MoCA       - port 2 -> Nextbox in Family room

Splitter       - port 3 -> modem in Basement

- port 4->  Nextbox in Basement

So, in this case, with the first gocoax adapter in the basement, you're connecting the tv output to the cable that runs upstairs and then connecting that to the second gocoax adapter .... and then using the tv output of the second adapter to connect to the nextbox upstairs.  Do I have that correct?

The ethernet connections look something like this at the present time:

modem -> ethernet -> router -> basement -> coax run -> 2nd floor -> ethernet to device

adapter                              adapter

Were you running into problems with the original configuration indicated above?  

I can see a possible issue with the 2nd floor Nextbox as you're going thru 2 adapters, which might be possible, but, consider the possibility that you might see less than ideal video and audio output of the 2nd floor Nextbox.  The thought of running the two adapters on a single cable run never occurred to me as that's probably not a typical installation.  Usually the installation is one adapter per cable run.  In theory, if you were only using the run for ethernet (via coax) purposes, this would probably make a lot of sense, but, I don't know if the 2nd floor Nextbox will be happy with that configuration. 

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the second statement below:

Basement MoCA adapter coax:

basement MoCA Adapter -> MoCA -> second floor MoCA adapter (coax) -> Nextbox on

second floor

via TV out coax

-> TV out current goes back into 4 way MoCA splitter in

basement (but I don't think this is needed)???

What exactly to you mean by " TV out current goes back into 4 way MoCA splitter in basement (but I don't think this is needed)???"

From what I can see, both TV outputs of the adapters are used.  The basement adapter TV output feeds the cable that runs upstairs to the second floor.  The second floor TV output feeds the 2nd floor nextbox.  So, I'm a little confused by your statement about the TV out.

Food for thought.  It might not be advisable to run one adapter to another using the TV output of the first adapter to feed the cable input of the second adapter.  I suspect that their not designed to work in that fashion and I wouldn't doubt that the TV outputs have a reduced frequency range while the cable ports would use the entire frequency range.  That's a rather interesting question.  You should either contact gocoax directly to see what they say, or you could sign up for a freebie account at SNBForums and post a question to the following forum:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/gocoax-moca-2-5-adapter.59499/

Either way, I'd go looking for an answer if I was going to leave the adapters connected in their current fashion.  

Hopefully I've understood your configuration correctly.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit:  In order to connect two MoCA adapters together via coax cable run, you would normal use the cable inputs of both adapters.  That would leave the TV output ports disconnected from anything else.  In that configuration the adapters could use the entire D Band, or D-Ext as indicated in the setup.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink - I tried the imagined connection again (as below) but, for some reason, the MoCA lights are not on/active in this configuration and network is not passing to the second floor adapter.  I'm stumped.  Do I need to do some additional config to enable this setup?

- port 1->  coax cable run upstairs -> MoCA Adapter moca port -> out from MoCA adapter TV port -> Nextbox on second floor

MoCA       - port 2 -> coax cable -> Nextbox in Family room

Splitter       - port 3 -> coax cable -> MoCA Adapter moca port-> out from MoCA adapter TV port -> modem in Basement

To elaborate on my previous config - there were two options:

Option A:

- port 1->  no longer used (this is why I'm asking if a 3-way splitter is more appropriate)

Splitter       - port 3 -> coax cable -> modem in Basement

basement MoCA Adapter moca port -> coax cable run upstairs -> second floor MoCA Adapter moca port -> out from MoCA Adapter TV port to Nextbox on second floor

Option B:

- port 1-> coax into basement MoCA Adapter moca port -> out from basement MoCA adapter TV port to coax run to second floor -> second floor MoCA Adapter moca port -> out from MoCA Adapter TV port to Nextbox on second floor

WRT " TV out current goes back into 4 way MoCA splitter in basement (but I don't think this is needed)???", what I meant was the basement MoCA adapter TV output was connected to the empty splitter out as per Option A.  Since the splitter is an output port and i'm sending in via the MoCA TV output, I assumed that was not doing anything... or possibly making things worse.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Some progress has been made!  I updated the security settings (it was numeric only) and passwords on both adapters. That seems to have improved things slightly in that my router now recognizes the basement adapter which is connected to the router through ethernet.

Here's a summary of my changes and observations:

- passwords updated on both adapters

- Static IP set on both adapters (different IPs for each adapter) to match my router's subnet

- I can now access the basement adapter remotely through the updated static IP.  I also configured my router to assign the same static IP to the basement adapter.

- The MoCA light on both adapters are now bright (previously no light).

- The second floor adapter still doesn't have network though... I can't detect it from my router, I can't remote in, there is no network connection.  The only way I can access the admin panel is by hardcoding my IP address through the network adapter on the laptop.

- I also tried re-enabling D-ext and D-Low to see if that made any difference (ensuring they match on both adapters)... it didn't.

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Take the upstairs adapter out of the system completely and simply connect the upstairs cable to the Nextbox, just to check for continuity.  Take a careful look at the ends of the cable run that goes upstairs, checking to see if the center conductor is bent by any chance.  So, what you would have is the 4 port MoCA splitter with all four output ports connected.  If the upstairs nextbox works as it should, then you have continuity from the basement up to the second floor.  

Now, the signs that you're not seeing anything upstairs with the adapter makes me wonder if you happen to have a splitter buried in a wall or floor somewhere that is cutting off the upper MoCA frequencies.  That would be a pain.  Its food for thought at this point.  Was there ever a second cable port active upstairs at any point?  If the Nextbox works, but the adapter doesn't, that really makes me wonder about a hidden splitter somewhere. 

Did you connect the adapters together via short cable to run a test with each other?  You would have a configuration that looks like this:

[ MoCA adapter input port  ->  RG-6 cable  <- MoCA adapter input port ] 

Router -- ethernet -    ^                                                                                 ^  - ethernet -- pc

Adapter 1                                                          Adapter 2

I would connect the adapters together once again, make sure that they're both configured to D, D-Low or D-High, and test the throughput now that you've encoded them, just to see if they work as you expect them to work.  I would probably use D-High for test purposes with the plan to leave them in that configuration after the test.  Do the adapters need to be restarted after you change the settings?  Food for thought....

I'm still pondering over the TV out loopback.  There shouldn't be any loopbacks in the system.  It should all be singular outbound cable connections from the MoCA splitter.  

Edit I:  changed configuration layout, hopefully to make more sense.

Edit II:  I would stick with the very first layout that you included above that uses all four of the MoCA splitter ports with the adapters connected to ports 1 and 3.  Depending on your basement layout for the modem, pc and Nextbox, I would consider connecting the TV output of the adapter to the Nextbox and put the modem on its own splitter port.  Thats to connect the modem to the splitter port without any other electronic device sitting between the splitter port and the modem.  The fewer devices and connectors in the path to the modem the better.  Don't take that as "you absolutely" have to do it that way, but, if it makes no difference in terms of which port the basement adapter is connected to and its just as easy either way, I'd go: MoCA splitter port 4 -> adapter -> Nextbox and run the modem to port 3 (?):  MoCA splitter port 3 -> Modem.

Edit III:  Food for thought.  If you run a test with a short cable and find that the adapters work as advertised, next step is yet another test with just the adapters and the cable run upstairs.  Connect one adapter to the cable run(in the basement) that heads upstairs.  Don't connect the adapter to anything other than the cable input port.  Upstairs do the same, connect the cable to the adapter input port.  Now, if you've already proven that the cable runs the Nextbox upstairs, its reasonable to expect the two adapters to connect using the same cable.  When you ran the short cable test, did the adapters connect with each other?  If so, and you then connected the adapters to the upstairs cable run, the absence of a connected network would probably indicate a buried splitter, or that the cable that runs upstairs is an RG-59 cable that won't support the higher MoCA frequencies.  if you look at the cable jacket, you should see either RG-59 or RG-6 printed on jacket.  RG-6 would be the preferred cable type to support MoCA frequencies. 

Edit IV:  Looking at the web site now, the adapters have a MoCA and LAN LED, so, at the very least, if they were connected together and communicating via MoCA frequencies and channels, then I'd expect the MoCA LED to be blue.  Looking at the quick start directions contained here:

https://8bae2e9d-266c-4d58-9cda-02ca62888697.filesusr.com/ugd/a80ff5_3cb61d1553384cf7baffa6dd675ded4...

I'll just basically follow instructions 3 and 6.  Looks like the MoCA LED should be blue when both adapters are up and running.   The instructions are clear as mud when it comes to detailing the change in LED colours when you go from basic MoCA network, to passing traffic, to encryption of the network.  Looks like the MoCA LED fires up blue at startup, and if you then depress the MPS button, it should turn green.  At some point the LAN LED should start blinking green signifying traffic flow over the network.  That might depend on whether or not there is a router at one end and pc at the other.  Not sure if the LAN LED will flash green with just the two adapters connected to each other.   

3. Connect cables and power on

Step1: Connect cables as the diagram.

Step2: Check Power LED is solid, LAN LED is blinking.

Step3: Add another device like this.

Step4: Check Power LED is green/solid, LAN LED is green/
blinking.

Step5: MoCA LED will be green/blinking if traffic is passing.

6. Enable encryption(Optional)

Step1: Only power on the first device.

Step2: Log into the device's web.

Step3: Go to the page 'Security settings', enable D-Ext band
security setting and select a proper password. Save configuration
and reboot the device.

Step4: After the device boot up, about 10 seconds, the MoCA LED
will be blue/solid.

Step5: Power on the second device.

Step6: After the second device boot up, press the MPS button of the
two devices.

Step7: Wait for the MoCA LED to be green/blue. The MoCA link is
established and encrypted.

Step8: Repeat Step 5 and 6 to add a new device into the encrypted
network. You can do the MPS pairing between the new device and
any device that is already in the encrypted network.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The cables look good, all center conductors are straight.  Also, I do reboot the adapters after every change.

Did a bunch more tests... here are my observations:

- upstairs Netbox is able to view tv channels with or without adapter connected

- whole home PVR (house icon on Nextbox) only lit when adapter disconnected.  This applies to upstairs and basement (basement using updated config you mentioned in Edit II) and shown below

- MoCA light on adapter only lit when D-Ext band checked/enabled in the adapter security settings (screenshot shows all 3 checked).

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 8.52.14 PM.png

I assume I should only leave D-High checked... please confirm?

Some additional settings in the moca admin:

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 8.53.51 PM.png

Curren config:

- port 1->  coax cable run upstairs -> MoCA Adapter moca port -> out from MoCA adapter TV port -> Nextbox on second floor

- port 4-> MoCA Adapter moca port-> out from MoCA adapter TV port -> coax cable -> Nextbox in Basement

I haven't tested connecting the adapters together locally again since my original test.  I'll post results when I do.

Edit I: just saw all your additional edits.  I'll give them a try and report back after.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, that makes sense to me.  The setting for the security "MoCA light on adapter only lit when D-Ext band checked/enabled in the adapter security settings" would seem to indicate that you need everything checked to run the MoCA network.  Yup there is some overlap in frequencies, but, I think this is just for security and not the actual usage band setting.   They would all be used if you selected the entire D-Band for MoCA usage.  Don't know why they would split the bands up into secured and unsecured bands. 

The cable setting of D-high would be appropriate as you have PVR Whole Home running.  

Is there any indication of the meaning of LOF in your second image, Low Frequency by any chance?  If so, that might need to be set to either 1225 Mhz or 1350 Mhz.  I'm surprised that it indicates 1150.  Looking at the frequency chart of the MoCA 2.0/2.5 spec, page 10, I think I'd set that number to 1225, or possibly as high as 1240 to enable channel D3 (1250) and D3a (1275) usage.  Here's the link to the MoCA spec.  Have a look at page 13 as well:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2.0_and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pd...

So, I think you have it right.  I'd adjust the LOF number, assuming that it indicates the lowest frequency that the adapters can sweep down to.  Adjusting it higher should keep the adapters out of the way of the Nextbox's MoCA network.  And when in doubt, send the company an email to clarify the LOF setting, or post a query to the SNBForum thread. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Here's the screenshot again removing the mask I added:

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.12.35 PM.png

Help text to the right of the screenshot:

This screen is the first screen you will see when accessing the Coax bridge. Most users will be able to configure the bridge and get it working properly using only the settings on this screen. Pick the bands you'd like to scan. The scan offset is the offset in 25MHz steps starting from 0 MHz for the scan mask. The scan mask defines the channels to be scanned. The channel represents the center frequency of the beacon. Tx Power can be used to adjust the TX power for RF interface,and the Preferred NC is related with MoCA spec.Click the button Reboot can reboot the system,Click the button Restores Defaults can restore the system to factory default values.

The Tx Power and Beacon Power Level dropdowns allow you to select a number b/w 1 to 10 (both currently set to 10).

Additional screenshot in case it helps:

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.26.16 PM.png

I completed the short run and long run tests.  Both were positive and yielded the same results ... the moca adapters are working and the cable run to the second floor is not the issue.

That said, I ran into trouble when trying to connect again through the MoCA splitter.  I reconnected the basement adapter moca port to the splitter and tv port to the basement Nextbox.  At this point, the connection between the adapters was lost.  Whole home PVR is also not working.

I then started increasing the LOF from 1150 to 1225 to 1275 on both adapters and rebooting after each change.  Same results though.

Based on all the tests, it seems to me that the inclusion of the splitter is causing the problem.  You're the expert though and I bow down to you and will follow any advice you provide.