CODA-4582 MoCA 2.0 setup

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 MoCA 2.0 setup

@Datalink - I found a few 3db attenuators on Amazon. Would any of these work?
https://www.amazon.com/3db-Coax-Cable-Attenuator-each/dp/B0013L69D2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002ZPIUU

Any recommendations on the splitter - Holland or Antronix?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, they would work.  I'd probably choose the first one from Holland Electronics.  You can use that instead of the two port splitter.  Either 4 port splitter works as well.  The Antronix ports are -7 dB while the Holland Electric ports are -7.7 dB, so not much difference.  Rogers uses Antronix splitters so if you want to go with that one, thats fine.   

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink - the first 3db attenuator didn't mention forward path. The 2nd one in my now edited post does in the Q&A section. You responded so quick you likely didn't see my edit. Sounds like the first one is fine though. Thanks again for all your feedback and knowledge sharing. I'll go forward with my order and report back later in March once I've received and hooked up all the newly bought parts.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ideally if you could find a 3 dB forward path attenuator that would be ideal, but, where your current signal levels are, a regular 3 dB attenuator would do.  I had a look at both attenuators, both would do, I'd go with the Holland Electric attenuator myself.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink - I finally got all the hardware today... but am a bit confused on the hookup.  Should it be:

-> MoCA Adapter -> Nextbox on second floor

incoming -> MoCA -> Attenuator ->  MoCA     -> Nextbox in Family room

cable              Filter                                 Splitter    -> MoCA Adapter -> modem in Basement

-> Nextbox in Basement

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rmann2020 yup, that looks good.  Post the modem signal levels when everything is up and running. 

Make sure that you log into the adapters and select D-Band High, so that the adapters stay out of the way of the Nextbox Whole Home.  You're running Whole Home correct?  Don't remember all of the details and don't have time at the moment to reread everything.  

If you don't have Whole Home running, then you can select the D-Band.  There should be a selection for that in the adapter settings.  Also enable the privacy setting by entering a number or alphanumeric sequence into the privacy setting.  Not sure what those adapters use, but it should be one of the two. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink - I'm having trouble logging into the adapters.  The provided quickstart guide is pasted below.  I can't seem to figure out what IP address to use.  My current setup has ethernet from my router going to the gocoax adapter but I can't see the adapter in my router devices and therefore can't figure out the IP.  Any suggestions?

Step1: Power on the device.

Step2: Configure your PC's IP address to 192.168.254.x, for example, 192.168.254.10. Connect the device to the PC via ethernet cable.

Step3: Log into the device's web by http://192.168.254.254, username: admin, password: gocoax

Step4: With the managment web, you check the current configurations and monitor the device status.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @rmann2020 no problem. 

1.  First you need to disconnect your pc from the router.

2.  Then, on the pc, navigate down to the ethernet adapter IP settings. 

That is located in Start .... Control Panel .... Network and Sharing Center. 

Select "Change Adapter Settings" to bring up the Network Connections panel. 

Right click and select Properties to bring up the the Ethernet Properties panel. 

Select  "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).  Select Properties just to the right side

below that to bring up the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties panel. 

Select "Use the following IP address" and enter 192.168.254.10

Hit OK at the bottom and reboot the pc.

3.  While the pc is rebooting, turn off the power on the adapter and connect the pc to the

adapter. 

4.  Power up the adapter

5.  Log into the adapter by bringing up a web browser and entering 192.168.254.254

That should take you to the adapter log in page where the following credentials

should work: username: admin, password: gocoax

6.  Navigate to the management pages to change the user name and password, then select

the required D-high (?) Band selection and set the privacy code as well.  Save the

changes.  You should be able to power down that adapter and then rerun the same

sequence with the other adapter.  

7.  When the next adapter is done, power it down and consider checking the first adapter

once again, to confirm that selected username, password, D-Band setting and privacy

code are as you set them.  Kinda like the measure twice, cut once type of idea.

When the adapters are set to go, consider running a speed test with the adapters connected with a very short coax cable.  That will tell you the max data rate that you can achieve with your internet data rate, the router and then the adapters connected with a very short cable which should be a no loss cable situation.  From there, when the adapters are in place, where you intend them to run, you will have an original test result that you can compare  with.  That test configuration would look like:

modem -> router -> ethernet -> adapter 1 -> coax -> adapter 2 -> ethernet -> pc

(very

short)

When you're done with the testing, you will need to navigate back down to the pc's Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties panel where you would select "Obtain an IP address automotically".  Hit Ok at the bottom and then reboot the pc and reconnect the pc to your router.  

Install the adapters in their intended locations.

Done 🙂

I think that should do it 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink - I figured it out as you typed your response.  Found an old windows laptop to use. 

Based on the below screenshot, would I simply uncheck D-Ext and D-Low?  (leaving only D-High checked)

Also, what privacy code should I be using?

screencapture-192-168-254-254-index-html-2020-03-15-21_31_36.png

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have Whole Home running, then select D-High to prevent any interference with the Whole Home MoCA network.

As for the privacy code, its a random number or character entry, your choice, just have to make sure that both adapters are set to the same sequence.  Does the adapter privacy page indicate whether the privacy sequence is numeric or alphanumic?  Looking at an old Actiontech MoCA adapter config guide, the setup page indicates a 12 to 17 digit entry.  From what I remember, there isn't any guidance in the MoCA specification as to what is used for the privacy code, so I would assume that companies are free to do what then want and use whatever encryption method they choose.  That's going to take a little experimentation.  If you enter an alphanumeric sequence for example, 3aUKSYpsOOElaz1C, if the adapter doesn't like the combination of numbers and characters, hopefully it will give you a rejection  warning of some type, in which case, go with plan B, a series of random numbers.