CODA-4582 MoCA 2.0 setup

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 MoCA 2.0 setup

Not sure if this helps, I enabled my residential gateway on the modem (previously in bridge mode) so that I could see the MoCA information (now pasted below).  I'll leave it in this mode for now until I hear back with any guidance on whether any changes are required.  Ultimately, I prefer bridge mode as I have an independent Unifi router and switch.

Status -> MoCA

MoCA Information

This menu displays general information of the device

MAC Address00:00:00:00:00:00
Coax TX-1 bytes
Coax RX-1 bytes
Channel PlanMoCA Extended Band D
Link StatusDOWN
Network SecurityDisable

Basic -> MoCA
Coax
Enable MoCAcurrently disabled
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Update:  through more testing, I have confirmed that I can't have the gocoax adapters and whole home pvr working at the same time.  The Nextboxes are able to view all my channels, it's just the whole home pvr that doesn't work while the gocoax adapters are working.  As soon as I reboot the gocoax adapters, the whole home pvr starts working but the gocoax adapters won't re-establish a link.

Any ideas on how to get both working together?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rmann2020  I have been thinking about this.  Have you ever brought all of the devices into one room and connected them to the MoCA 2.0 splitter so that you avoid the hidden splitter?  I'm thinking that the hidden splitter might be the fly in the ointment, so to speak, so, having everything in one place, connected and running might produce the results that you're after, or it will prove that the gocoax adapters just won't work with the NextBox MoCA network running.  Maybe the Adaptec MoCA adapters are the way to go after all?

For the problem where you were noting flaky connections for the MoCA splitter, inside the barrel of the connector is a physical grip, of sorts that grips the copper cable when the connector is screwed down.  If that internal grip portion is misplaced by a couple of millimeters and the end of the copper cable is a little short, maybe a millimetre or two, the end result could be a flaky connection.  Are you able to install new connectors on some of those cables so that you can end up with slightly extended copper conductors out of the connector? 

Have you been able to find that hidden splitter?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink - I did as you suggested and have some interesting results.

When the Nextbox was powering up (in boot/load mode), the whole home pvr icon on the nextbox was showing and I could see the MoCA 1.x device in the Gocoax PHY Rates screen.  I have never seen it there before.  Unfortunately, when the loading completed, the whole home pvr functionality stopped (icon on nextbox was gone and 1.x device no longer visible in gocoax admin screen).

This test leads me to conclude that gocoax is incompatible with nextbox... at least with the current settings.  I will post these results to snbforums as well to see if GoCoax or others have any suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.  I hope a solution is found as I don't want to spend any more money buying the Adaptec adapters.

Here's a screenshot of the gocoax admin console when the nextbox was loading:

IMG_0003.png

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rmann2020 the gocoax rep indicated an interesting point one day, that there can only be one network controller in the circuit.  So, I've been thinking that with the configuration that you just tested, if you were to configure the adapters to run up beyond 1225 Mhz, which is the upper end of D-Low, maybe you can get the adapters to totally ignore the D-Low network.  When the adapters fire up and run anything in D-Low, that will kill the Nextbox D-Low MoCA network, so it does make sense that the Nextbox D-Low network fires up, and then dies when the adapters attempt to run the network.  Just thinking, ok, what happens if you intentionally run the adapters from 1250 Mhz and upwards?  Would that work?  It it did, that still presents a dilemma due to the hidden splitter which is probably forcing the adapters to use the D-Low band, which in turn kills the Nextbox MoCA network.  Its one thing after another, so to speak.  If you did adjust the operating frequency of the adapters, you might not see the nextbox on the adapter display.  Thats ok as long as the Nextboxes and adapters were satisfied to run in their own frequency bands.  They don't necessarily have to know about each other if they stay out of each others way. 

The other consideration here is a potential bug with the Nextbox controllers.  Remember these have been around for a while now, so, maybe they don't conform to the gocoax rep's statement that there can only be one controller in the network.  Maybe the Nextbox's won't give up network controller duties, or, maybe as I was thinking above, the adapters are killing the Nextbox MoCA network due to their current low frequency operating limit.  Were the adapters set to run their default settings, or were they adjusted to run at or higher than 1250 Mhz?

Because the Nextbox MoCA adapters are probably MoCA 1.0 compliant, they probably can't see the gocoax adapters running D-High, so my guess is that they couldn't be used as the network controller, even if you could disable that function in the gocoax adapters.  

So, more food for thought.  I'm looking forward to your response.  

Edit:  for an cable connected to the MoCA 2.0 splitter that exhibits a flaky connection, have a look at the length of the copper conductor that sticks out beyond the end of the connector.  A short length of copper conductor beyond the connector end might be part of the explanation for a flaky connection on certain ports of the splitter.  The other side of this is where exactly inside the barrel of the splitter connector does that internal grip mechanism start.  Is it closer or further from the end of the connector??  My guess is that any problems are a combination of the two.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Gocoax were at default settings (LOF=1150). I changed both adapters to 1250 and rebooted. Nextbox whole home now working but gocoax won't reconnect.  I proceeded to disconnect the nextboxes and reboot the gocoax.  Upon reboot, gocoax started working again but PHY Rates are now lower as per screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 5.15.07 PM.png

I then proceeded to reconnect Nexboxes.  Same results as before... MoCA 1.x detected during bootup but then nextbox moca/pvr stops working while gocoax adapters continue working.  

For some reason, LOF was reset back to 1150 during my test... I didn't change it though.  

I tried the above test again to see if the LOF would reset again.  This time, I disconnected the nextbox before changing LOF to 1250.  Upon Gocoax reboot, connection established and confirmed at LOF = 1250.  PHY Rates again same as my screenshot above.  I proceeded to connect the nextboxes.   This time, after reboot/loading of nextboxes completed, I didn't see them register in the Gocoax admin screen but Whole Home PVR is working 🙂 !!!!

I'm now going to move all devices back to the proper rooms and retest.  I'll post back later this evening but progress is being made !!!

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I took a quick break for dinner, and upon checking now the gocoax adapters lost connection. I then disconnected the nextbox, rebooted the gocoax adapter, and the gocoax connection re-established.

Back to the drawing board ???
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Equipment still in one room or moved back upstairs? 

I'm thinking that the hidden splitter is going to cause no end of problems as it will probably force the adapters to run D-Low despite any setting to run D-High.  One way or another, you're going to have to find that splitter.  

A Sperry trace tool might work.  Looks like this:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sperry-wire-tracker-and-tracer-0520899p.0520899.html

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I moved the nextbox back upstairs but both gocoax adapters are side by side in the basement.

Assuming a splitter exists and I find it, given that it's in-wall, i assume the only way to get to it is to open the wall up. Am I missing something?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope you're not missing anything.  Keep in mind, with a splitter in a wall, that wall location should never have been covered up in the first place.  So, yes, you're going to have to cut into a wall somewhere after you locate it.  But, all is not lost, as you should make the cut look like it was planned, and you should plan to maintain access to it for future purposes.  

I'm going to make an assumption that the splitter is possibly sitting at the bottom of a wall cavity.  Hopefully it is and hopefully there is enough cable slack that you can actually do something with it.  I'd cut in to the wall at a normal height that matches the height of your existing wall electrical boxes which are sitting behind the drywall.  You can actually make that rectangular cut a little smaller, but, you still need to get your hand in behind the drywall.  When all is said and done, install a low voltage bracket on or behind the wall.  There are a couple of types:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/carlon-1-gang-low-voltage-mounting-bracket-rework/1000162142

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/carlon-2-gang-low-voltage-mounting-bracket-new-work/1000162138

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG2yTN1BX9g

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/iberville-low-voltage-bracket-bag-of-2/1000136976

https://www.google.com/search?q=install+Iberville+Low+Voltage+Bracket&rlz=1C1PRFI_enCA774CA774&oq=in...

Install a (wallplate with a connector) on the bracket and when it's done, no one but you will know that the wallplate is just fake wallplate with no actual connection, unless of course you want to use it.