CODA 4582 - Improving WiFi Signal Strength and Range!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

CODA 4582 - Improving WiFi Signal Strength and Range!

Hi there:

I recently switched from Bell (after over 20 years) to Rogers.

Reason: looking for higher speed (Bell doesn’t have Fiber in my area).

Well, unfortunately I regret my decision and probably only “man stubbornness” prevented me so far to admit my mistake and go back (and of course all the hassle of switching...).

Anyway, after 2 weeks of pain, and readings ( @Datalink on this forum being one of the best), I Finally got this morning the router changed to a Coda 4582 (white box).

The result is better signal strength on 5G ( so covering a wider range).

The current issue is 2.4Ghz signal strength. It is quite lower than the 5G at any location of testing, including at 2 feet from the router (neighbours 2.4 from 20 feet away are stronger than mine from 2 feet away...haha..).

Questions:

1. I read that 2.4G has slower speed but larger range (or stronger signal at the same location). Please confirm.

2. If #1 is correct what is the most likely cause of my reversed situation?

2a...router hardware

2b...firmware

2c...settings

So far I tried to change the Chanel from Auto to ch 1 (my 2 neighbours use ch 6 and 11), but the results were not better, it was actually worse.

ps. So far I am still trying to get Rogers working, instead of eating the humble pie and go back to Bell.

Thank you

imanea

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA 4582 - Improving WiFi Signal Strength and Range!

Just go get a new router. Check redflagdeala there are lots of good ones. Out the coda in bridge mode.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Imanea wrote:

Hi there:

I recently switched from Bell (after over 20 years) to Rogers.

Reason: looking for higher speed (Bell doesn’t have Fiber in my area).

Well, unfortunately I regret my decision and probably only “man stubbornness” prevented me so far to admit my mistake and go back (and of course all the hassle of switching...).

Anyway, after 2 weeks of pain, and readings (Datalink on this forum being one of the best), I Finally got this morning the router changed to a Coda 4582 (white box).

The result is better signal strength on 5G ( so covering a wider range).

The current issue is 2.4Ghz signal strength. It is quite lower than the 5G at any location of testing, including at 2 feet from the router (neighbours 2.4 from 20 feet away are stronger than mine from 2 feet away...haha..).

Questions:

1. I read that 2.4G has slower speed but larger range (or stronger signal at the same location). Please confirm.

2. If #1 is correct what is the most likely cause of my reversed situation?

2a...router hardware

2b...firmware

2c...settings

So far I tried to change the Chanel from Auto to ch 1 (my 2 neighbours use ch 6 and 11), but the results were not better, it was actually worse.

ps. So far I am still trying to get Rogers working, instead of eating the humble pie and go back to Bell.

Thank you

imanea

The whole '2.4GHz has longer range but slower speeds' thing is... true in uncluttered environments, sure. If you are in a rural property, absolutely. If you are in an apartment/condo, then that was absolutely not true - 2.4GHz is just so insanely busy that 5GHz offered both higher speed and comparable/higher range.

That's changed somewhat in the last year or two with Bell/Rogers now supplying a lot of dual band routers and offering 'wireless TV' products based on 5GHz. 5GHz band is more cluttered than it used to be...

My suggestion is the same as the person above's: go out there, get yourself a good router (at least as good as your neighbour's - this is probably why their signal strength is better than yours, put the CODA-4582 in bridge mode (one advantage of Rogers vs Bell - a nice, clean bridge mode) and never look back.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Agreed with above. True bridge mode on your CODA coupled with a decent router (like the ASUS RT-AC68U or TP-LINK Archer C9 or one of the Netgear Nighthawks) will get you uber reliable and stable internet, a better experience than what you have now, and a far better experience than Bell non-fibre). Take the advice of many, spend the $100-$160 and never look back.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the suggestions offered so far, basically to buy another router and disable (aka bridge) Coda.
#1. I am not in a condo. Woodbridge, houses...
#2 I have a long backyard were I need/want to have signal, at least 2.4G for some browsing...Bell was covering all that with it's own single router. Both my neighbours have single Rogers routers (one Coda, and one Cgn??).
#3 Since I spent time reading and trying to understand how this works, plus trying to cover both house and outdoor, I still hope to get some opinions and advice on my original questions about why this completely reversed situation?
Regarrs
Imanea

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers 1gb router WiFi signal very poor

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve my WiFi signal?

Our router is in our living room and the speeds are fine when we are in there. Anywhere else in the house is drastically worse. Especially in the bedrooms upstairs were getting 10 download and 2 upload this is unacceptable.

My son games downstairs and the WiFi is so poor I bought a powerline adapter for him and it's still poor.

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ok, so,
1. The community was weekend busy and didn't provide meaningfull answers to my questions.
2. Where am I going with my Rogers setup?
21. Coda improved 5G signal strength. Covers house, and partoal outdoor. Ok.
22. Coda 2.4G is way too weak signal, not covering even the inside. Further comparison of signal strength between the bands of my neighbour Coda, shows also a weakness on the 2.4G relative to 5G. Based on the above, plus low confidence in Rogers supply channel, I will not take the chance to go and exchange myCoda for another Coda. So I will completely write off the 2.4G, and look for an "extender" for the 5G network to make the signal reliable in my backyard.

Sobottom line: could you please recommend some good 5G extenders that work well with Coda?
Thank you

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Maybe this is a silly question, but why get an extender for the CODA? Why not just buy a good 3rd party router? And if you’re really that worried about outdoor coverage in your backyard, get an extender too. But the first thing I would do if I were you, is bridge that trashy CODA gateway and use it for nothing more than a cable modem. Go get yourself some real routing hardware. Those all-in-ones from the providers (whether it’s Rogers, Bell, or whomever), are just terrible. The Bell units might be slightly better, but they’re still garbage. My in-laws have Fibe and their wireless coverage with the Home Hub 3000 was just awful. They grabbed an Asus RT-AC68U and never looked back.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Blazzay wrote:

Rogers 1gb router WiFi signal very poor

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve my WiFi signal?

Our router is in our living room and the speeds are fine when we are in there. Anywhere else in the house is drastically worse. Especially in the bedrooms upstairs were getting 10 download and 2 upload this is unacceptable.

My son games downstairs and the WiFi is so poor I bought a powerline adapter for him and it's still poor.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, unfortunately these modems are about on par with your $50-70 3rd party routers..
They work.. but the range/performance is not great for wireless.
All depends on the house.. a small house/apartment, shouldn't be horrible.. but bigger house, etc  can start having an issue.   Add ontop of what sort of house, might be introducing interference, etc. (IE: many houses now may often use metal studs.. which can impact wireless signals, etc.)

Really your best bet overall, would be getting a much better 3rd party router, which has a much better range, etc.
Or going with something like a MESH network setup.  Usually a main wireless unit, which talks with a bunch of paired repeaters though the house, etc.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Imanea,

I have the CODA-4582 set up in Bridge mode ( basically in dumb cable modem mode )  sitting in my basement by the demarc

An ASUS AC router connected by cable in the basement, this provides coverage down in the basement.

Another ASUS router ( only as an extender no NAT ) on the main floor for upstairs / outside coverage

Read the sticky on how to "Bridge Mode Setup Guide" by @Gdkitty