CODA 4582 - Improving WiFi Signal Strength and Range!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: CODA 4582 - Improving WiFi Signal Strength and Range!

What is the advsntage of Coda in bridge +Asus (by cable) in same location (basement) vs Coda full for the basemnt + 2nd Asus upstairs forextending the range?
Imanea
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Asus router gives the end user much better control over options required to run numerous devices on the LAN.  That includes port forwarding for gaming, Samba for file and print services, wifi beamforming which can bring small but important gains in wifi performance and many others.  Running an Asus router with Merlin's Asuswrt give the user additional flexibility in running VPNs and regular WAN traffic.  If you run run some of the add-ons, or run a PfSense router or others, you gain additional security features like country blocking and blocklists for malware/spyware sites. Newer wifi routers will support 160 Mhz wide wifi channels which can run faster wifi transfer rates.  You would also need a wifi client that can take advantage of those 160 Mhz wide channels and the actual channel space to accomplish that.  In a typical neighbourhood that might be difficult to find. 

I think the modem is limited to 9 rules for port forwarding and triggering, so, if you happen to run different games that can be problematic.  

Any ISP modem is a basic modem which provides basic router functions.  When you look outside of those functions, you will see that there are many more functions/capabilities that can be available to the end user. 

In terms of the wifi situation, modem/router in the basement is far from ideal, unless of course you happen to get the most use of the wifi in the basement, ei: mancave, or possibly womancave? Some routers have better vertical RF performance due to their antenna construction, so, its possible that multi-floor use is possible.  It might not be ideal, but it might work well enough. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you Datalink for a knowledgeable and thorough answer as usual.

Basically you disable Coda and use a more expensive router to gain setup options (security +++).

Regarding just signal strength/coverage===>

For me for now I solved the signal strength coverage issue with 2 different networks controlled by 2 different routers, connected by Ethernet cable.

Coda covers full house on 5G, with good speeds (fluctuations of course...).

Asus covers the backyard on 2.4G, lower speeds but signal all the way to the back fence were I am typing now.

Question:

in this configuration from above is the security on 2.4G network an AND between Coda and Asus, or it is just Asus only?

Regards

imanea

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Imanea, both modem and router should be secure, provided that the modem's and router's wifi is running encrypted.  The modem's firewall will provide the network firewall for both modem and router.

Is the router running in full router mode or Access Point mode?

Have a look at the following which is applicable to both the modem and router:

check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n 
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  It will default to 20 Mhz in a crowded environment.
Wireless channel: AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighbouring routers and modems as seen with a wifi monitoring application listed below.
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel: 149 to 165     Use this higher channel range as it runs higher transmit power levels.
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

If you had to change any parameters, reboot the modem or router after the changes have been saved. 

Fwiw, it might be worth checking the wifi environment to see if you can improve the wifi network performance.  You can do that by loading one of the following on a laptop and doing a wifi survey around your home.  When you move around the home, laptop in hand, stop for two to three minutes for the display to settle out.  

Lizard systems wifi scanner

inSSIDer lite    (I run a licenced version of this, but the lite version is probably fairly close)

Acrylic

These can be found at the following locations:

inSSIDer Lite:  Requires a freebie account set up to use it.  That is displayed when you go to download the application.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/?utm_source=MetaGeek+Customers&utm_campaign=d4c1da8a...

Lizard Systems wifi scanner:

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/

A freebie home user licence can be obtained by using the Get Licence link for the Wifi Scanner on the following page:

https://lizardsystems.com/purchase/

Acrylic wifi scanner which is also free:

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@TECHHEAD

So what is the advantage for your bridge? The coda modem/router could easily service your basement with your second router for upstairs.

Seems to me you have one piece of equipment (router) that is unnecessary. Remember the CODA-4582 can have all ports enabled even in bridge mode.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@KamWest wrote:

@TECHHEAD

So what is the advantage for your bridge? The coda modem/router could easily service your basement with your second router for upstairs.

Seems to me you have one piece of equipment (router) that is unnecessary. Remember the CODA-4582 can have all ports enabled even in bridge mode.

I don't look at it that way.

I run 3rd party firmware on my ASUS. (Asuswrt-Merlin) 

Which allows me to add more functionality to my router. Added scripts to enhance firewall, an ad blocker that blocks ads at the router and not browser.

I also have VLANS setup for various IoT devices and guests.

Just remember the other three ports on the CODA when in bridge mode, are unprotected and wide open to the internet.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So when in bridge mode which I have done in the past I hooked the router into port 4 because it had its own firewall. I hooked the VOIP system into port one which was protected so that all works.

Thanks for that warning.

That said..... I prefer to use just the Rogers Coda modem/router especially with the new MyWifi app that is in development. It allows me to set schedules, cut off internet to a user, rename users, etc etc. I know I can do that on a good router but I have a feeling the MYWifi app is going to be a great thing once it is fully developed.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KamWest wrote:

So when in bridge mode which I have done in the past I hooked the router into port 4 because it had its own firewall. I hooked the VOIP system into port one which was protected so that all works.........

@KamWest, am I interpreting your comment correctly that the VOIP phone has its own firewall for self protection?  Just want to be sure.

When the modem is in bridge mode, its just a modem.  So, no firewall or DHCP on any of the ports, no wifi, etc, etc.  Although the modem doesn't offer any "modem based" DHCP services, it acts as a transparent bridge to the CMTS, which assigns IPV4 and IPV6 addresses to the connected devices. 

The first two connected devices will receive both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  The next two devices will receive IPV6 addresses only.  In theory you could have a multitude of devices connected which will receive IPV6 addresses only.  If one had all four ports filled and you rebooted the modem, I don't know which ports receive both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses, ports 1 & 2 (?) or which ever devices respond first, leaving the remainder with IPV6 addresses only?  The modem might not respond to individual devices for IPV4/IPV6 address assignments when they're plugged into the modem individually, so, a modem reboot might be necessary.  With two devices only, that shouldn't be a problem.  With more than two, the question arises, which devices get their addresses first?