CGN3ACSMR wireless keeps dropping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3ACSMR wireless keeps dropping

The best time to call tech support is when you have lost internet access.  At that point its a question of, is it a cable signal or node issue, or is it possibly a wifi problem.  When you do lose wifi internet access, check the inSSIDer display and see if your wifi network is still present and running.  If the laptop is still communicating with the modem wifi transmitter / receiver, that points to a cable issue of some type.  Its still possible that there might be a wifi controller issue, but hopefully between testing for ethernet internet access and the inSSIDer display the problem will become evident.  

In terms of wifi channels, its open competition.  Ideally, between your wifi network and the nearest competitor (in terms of received signal power), you would have at least 40 to 45 dBmW separation so that your network will run as you expect it to.  On a 2.4 Ghz network, such as the one that you are running, that might be tough if not impossible.  You can sort the text display of inSSIDer by selecting the top title bars, one at a time.  Using that you can sort the power levels to see who the competition is, and where your network sits, compared to everyone else's network.  That version of inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  If your laptop has a dual band wifi adapter then you should be able to see both frequency bands, and you would probably notice that the 5 Ghz band is far less occupied.  That version doesn't display the 802.11ac networks that are becoming more prevalent in the 5 Ghz band, so it doesn't present the whole 5 Ghz picture.  There is a newer, pay version out now that will show those networks, and will run on a normal 5 Ghz N laptop.  For anyone running 802.11ac networks, its worth the $20 US. 

Do you have any 5 Ghz devices that you can shift up to that band?  If so, that's one of the first items that I would be looking at.

I've Been Here Awhile

My Mobile was getting connected to WiFi for twenty seconds and then disconnect for 5 seconds or so, non -stop in a loop. I searched the internet, this forum but no solution that worked. My other devices, including old mobiles, did not have a problem. Obviously, I thought that my mobile had a fault, so went to Neighbours and connected to WiFi and It was OK.

After searching through Internet, did not get any solution. Finally, I thought about IPv4-IPv6. I logged into the router, the setting was 'Auto' for IPv4and IPv6. I changed it to 'IPv4 Only' and the mobile wifi connectivity problem is over.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vjshirodkar, can you have a look at the modem's firmware version and let me know what you have loaded.  When you log into the modem, that can be seen on the modem's STATUS tab, listed as the Software Version. 

And, are you using an android or iphone?