CGN3ACSMR wireless keeps dropping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: CGN3ACSMR wireless keeps dropping

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4707547455

That's my fastest wireless one so far, cannot try the wired one until tomorrow at least. I have it on the only unused channel around me, channel 3, it's amazing how many routers and modems my network card can see as I live in a small town, not a city lol.

I might give another try tomorrow to get it working in bridge mode, for today, I don't feel like running up and down flights of steps a hundred more times, on a good note my legs did get a good workout today, and it's not even leg day 😛

I'm Here A Lot

Oh yeah, I do not know what plan I am on until I look at the bill. I told pops to get us Bundle 3 on the rogers website, he was told that was only available in big cities and had to settle for some other package.

I've Been Around

My new CGN3ACSMR hangs randomly at 5G

Hi,

I've got a new plan and the CGN3ACSMR modem couple of weeks ago.
The 5G WiFi hangs mostly once per day and the clients (pc, mac or iPhone) can loose their internet connection and the only way I can make it work again is to turn the power off, wait 10 seconds and turn it on again. I also tried to turn off 2.4GHz just to make sure that there is no conflicts. The behaviour didn't change .

Now I connected my iMac via ethernet cable to the router and that seems to be stable. Also the issue seems to be with 5G network .

Is that a known issue ?

BTW, I didn't find any option on the user interface for updating the firmware. Are there any newer firmware available and if yes, how can I update the firmware ? I have currenlty System Software 4.5.8.16

Thanks

Abdi

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With that firmware version loaded, which is the latest version, you shouldn't be able to shut down just one wifi network.  From what I know at the current time, there is a bug in that firmware version.  The result is that the wifi is all or nothing.  Its either both networks up and running or both shutdown.  If you turn one network off, it takes the other one with it.  Are you finding that this is no longer the case.  If so, that would indicate that the firmware has changed but that the version number has stayed the same. 

What happens to the ethernet connected devices when you lose the wifi?

We've seen a similar case recently with the wifi shutting down.  In that particular case the problem was tracked down to a desktop wifi adapter which had gone bad.  I'm wondering if you're having a similar problem.  Do you use a power bar at all to power your equipment?  If so, one step for troubleshooting this is to completely disconnect the power bar and run everything off of extension cords to see if that resolves the situation.  If you don't have a power bar, the next step would be to isolate the wifi devices one by one to determine if any of them are causing the problem.  Turn one of the devices off, reboot the modem to clear any mac address data and potential issues from that device and then keep using the modem until the next failure, if it occurs.  If you do see a failure, turn off another device, reboot the modem and keep going.  Turn the first device back on.  At some point you should be able to isolate the device that is causing failure. 

When you look at the modem, there are only four connection points to look at:

1.  Power through the power adapter

2.  Cable signal issues

3.  Ethernet connected devices

4.  Wifi connected devices

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

All of these issues with the Hitron modems are very discouraging. There are numerous threads on here with multiple issues and what it all boils down to is that Rogers is providing their customers with terrible modems. I give many kudos for people like @Datalink for helping people come to terms with these many issues but it must seem like he batting his head against a wall sometimes. Why does Rogers inflict such inferior modems upon their customers. Reading these posts reminds me of all the posts about Navigatr. Customers want something that works and works consistently. Hitron modems do not work consistently (just like Navigatr). Rogers - just give us something that works. Is this so difficult?

I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3ACSMR wireless keeps dropping but the router doesn't show it has

I've browsed around the forums and have tried to find my exact issue and although many seem to have similar cases I haven't seen one exactly like my own.

Here is the issue; most of the time my internet works perfectly fine. However, it will go through these fits, as my roomate and I like to call them. During these fits the internet will completely drop and we are forced to manually reset the modem. Normally the issue will percise for an hour or so with my roomate and I hopelessly trying to fix the issue by restarting the modem over and over again. Once in comes back and the "fit" ends then there is no more issues and the wireless will work fine for the rest of the night. This issue used to happen every 3-4 days and was just a minor inconvenience and we thought about calling tech support, but because of how much little time it took from us everyday we just didn't bother. However, recently the "fits" have been reoccuring every single night and it has became an aggravating chore to get it working again.

I have still yet to call rogers for tech support, but I am on the verge of doing so, but I wanted to post here on the forum for help since I've usually have found more success with asking the community for help in the past.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS. ... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  Those are the cable signal levels which may be of interest in your current situation.

Is the on an ethernet or wifi connected device?

If this is a wifi connected device, there is also the issue of wifi performance that might be part of the problem.  You can have a look at the wifi environment with inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  Looking at the graphical display will tell you who else is competing for the channels that you are using and what the power levels are like for your network and for the other networks that are running nearby.  Load this on a laptop and have a look at the wifi environment if in fact you are using wifi connected laptops for example:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I've Been Here Awhile

Down Stream:

Downstream Overview

Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Signal noise ratio (dB)
1 657000000 256QAM 6.900 11 40.946
2 591000000 256QAM 6.900 1 40.946
3 597000000 256QAM 7.000 2 40.366
4 603000000 256QAM 7.000 3 40.946
5 609000000 256QAM 6.900 4 40.366
6 615000000 256QAM 7.000 5 40.366
7 621000000 256QAM 6.800 6 40.366
8 633000000 256QAM 6.800 7 39.855
9 639000000 256QAM 6.900 8 40.946
10 645000000 256QAM 6.900 9 40.366
11 651000000 256QAM 7.000 10 40.366
12 663000000 256QAM 7.100 12 40.366
13 669000000 256QAM 7.000 109 40.946
14 675000000 256QAM 7.100 110 40.946
15 681000000 256QAM 7.100 111 40.366
16 687000000 256QAM 7.200 112 38.983
17 693000000 256QAM 7.200 113 38.983
18 699000000 256QAM 7.200 114 40.366
19 705000000 256QAM 7.100 115 38.983
20 711000000 256QAM 7.400 116 40.366

Upstream:

Upstream Overview

Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID BandWidth
1 30596000 ATDMA - 16QAM 34.500 2 6400000
2 23700000 ATDMA - 16QAM 36.000 3 6400000
3 38596000 ATDMA - 16QAM 34.500 1 3200000

All mine and my roomate devices are only using wireless, we have not plugged anything in with ethernet cables.

Also I downloaded inSSIDer and my wifi was directly sitting on the same channel as 2 of the closest SSID (11), so I moved it towards Channel 3 which partially overlaps with the farthest (Channel 1) SSIDs and overlaps and overlaps a little more on the 2nd farthest SSID (Channel 6). I'm assuming this is the safest place so I'm not upsetting anyone else's connections.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your downstream levels are high, still within spec but they are high.  The signal to noise ratios are good.  Two of the upstream channels are slightly low, but that shouldn't cause any problems.  I'd be interested in seeing those levels when you are having connection issues.  Do you have Rogers Cable TV as well and if so, are you having any problems with that as well?  If you called tech support at the moment I suspect that they might not do anything at the present time.  I would call them anyways and have the CSR run a signal check on the modem and the neighbourhood node, which is what the modem connects to if you are in a house.  If you're in an apartment the modem might connect to a Multipe Dwelling Unit (MDU) which is located in a utility room downstairs and which provides data distribution throughout an aparment, condo, highrise, etc, etc.  Let the CSR know that you are seeing service outages with your internet and ensure that the CSR logs the complaint.  You might see a tech arrive to check out the cabling for any possible problems.  

The thing that I would like to know is when you lose connectivity on wifi, do you also lose connectivity via ethernet?  Can you plug a pc or laptop into the ethernet ports of the modem, or do you only have wifi devices?  If for example you had no internet access via ethernet, then I would definitely suspect a signal issue of some type.  If you still have ethernet internet access, they that points the blame at the wifi network, and possibly one of the wifi adapters on the network.  We've seen a few of those recently, where the modme appears to fail, but the real culprit has turned out to be a wifi adapter.  And if thats a possibility, then its a matter of isolating each device, one at a time by turning it off for a period of time and looking for another failure.  Run the network for a period of time that you would normally see a failure and if none is seen, turn the initial test device back on and run the network, looking for a failure.  Eventually, if you have a failing wifi adapter, you will find it.

I've Been Here Awhile

After switching channels I haven't any downtime, but like in the main post I specifically said they normally went away after an hour or so and reappeared a day later. I will definetly look into calling tech as soon as the next fit happens, if it happens, and will also look to pick myself up an ethernet cord to test if I'm still receiving internet like that. If I do receive internet through ethernet I just might invest in a few of them.

Thank you for all your help, hopefully I won't have another outage in the next 24h!

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation