CGN3ACSMR in gateway mode no longer working with my own router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3ACSMR in gateway mode no longer working with my own router

Hi all,

Exchanged old CGN3 modem for the new "Rocket" modem CGN3ACSMR.  My ASUS router stopped working with it when Rocket modem is in residential gateway mode.

I used to have the following network setup (before modem exchange):

Rogers Network => CGN3 => ASUS RT-AC66U (dd-wrt firmware) -> LAN

Reason I did NOT put CGN3 in bridged mode is its wireless connection - CGN3 and ASUS cover different parts of my home.

After replacing CGN3 with CGN3ACSMR my ASUS router is having problems connecting to Internet. What's strange is that ASUS does get its WAN IP from the Hitron's DHCP pool. But, in Hitron's web UI ASUS is displayed as "inactive" on Basic -> Connected Devices status page. I cannot ping it either.

Now, what's strange is that from a device connected to ASUS I CAN resolve random website addresses. So, DNS seems to work. However, browsing is not working.

Can anyone help with an advice, please?

Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

Re: CGN3ACSMR in gateway mode no longer working with my own router

Hi @temuri416,

Welcome to the Community 🙂

You've come to the right place to get assistance with your inquiry. 

This might be something one of our Resident Experts @Gdkitty @Datalink might be able to assist with.

RogersZia

I'm a Regular

There were LAN issues with earlier versions of the firmware.  If recently swapped from a store you probably have an older firmware version. Try requesting the latest if you don't have it.

LAN port bridging problem : 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

see Datalink's post at the end of this thread re LAN port issue :  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3341...

it looks like firmware versions .21 and higher solve the LAN port problem

Rogers has been switching over to new hardware which is causing the LAN port problems.  The new firmware is supposed to be compatible with said hardware.  Datalink has an earlier post in the thread regarding the changeover from Cisco CMTS to Casa CMTS.

latest firmware rollouts:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

.27 seems to be the latest firmware (not shown in the second post at the link above)

I Plan to Stick Around

First, there was CGN3 - worst Rogers managed to find (not forgetting to charge rental fee, though).

Now, they've trumpeted this "follow-up" "Rocket" modem as the best thing you can find. 

Sure enough - it turns out even worse, just when you think it CANNOT get any worse.

I have wasted 5 hours of my work day and drove to the store twice. As if I have nothing else to do.

** EDIT ** - Rogers have edited all the obscenities from this message. There were plenty of them.

I'm a Regular

Wellllll.... if it's any consolation, I am on my tenth modem.  I tried the AC rocket modem twice and gave up... couldn't get more than 30mbps out of them.  I was lucky enough to find an advanced CGN3ROG late last year.  You might find one at a store... you'd have to call around.

If you're going to stick with the ACSMR, get the latest firmware pushed out to your modem.  I believe they are pushing out version .22 at the moment.  If you're not getting anywhere, call in to customer service and ask to speak to the management office.  They'll get you through to level 2 support.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's shocking. Instead of investing into high-quality hardware they've gone about cutting costs. $14/mo - nice profit out of NOWHERE.

I'm a Regular

Wireless has changed.  The factory default for 2.4Ghz is 20Mhz bandwidth, not 20-40.  To have this setting changed, you have to call in unless they have updated the page in the newer firmware.  Only the 5Ghz page allowed you to change bandwidth as far as I remember.

If all your settings in the ASUS match i.e. TKIP/AES or AES, WPA/WPA2 or WPA2, same bandwidth setting, etc. then it should connect properly.