cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3ACSMR - deny internet access to specific PC?

jl17
I've Been Around

I have one pc with static ip that needs to be on local wireless network to use printer

How do I set up Hitron CGN3ACSMR router to deny that one computer internet access?

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CGN3ACSMR - deny internet access to specific PC?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jl17, I believe that this should be achievable.  I'll refer you to the following Midco CGN3 user manual, pages 89, 92 to  94. 

CGN3 user manual

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

From page 89 comes the following:

7.1.4 Service Filtering
Service filtering is a way of preventing users on the LAN from connecting with devices on the WAN via specific services, protocols or applications. It achieves this by permitting or denying traffic from the LAN to pass to the WAN, based on the target port.

The first thing to do is add the Service Filter as shown in Figure 38, page 94, ranging from port 1 to port 65535.  Set that to Enabled, All Day.  You will have to set up more than one rule, so that you have one rule for each protocol.  I have my modem running in Bridge mode, so I don't know if there is a combined TCP/UDP selection.  If not, you will need two rules.  

Then add the device to the Trusted device list and Enable the rule.  Hit Apply and restart or reboot the modem:  ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... reboot.

You will probably also have to disable the IPV6 protocol in the network adapter in the pc.  I don't know if IPV6 has been added to the Service Filter Protocols.  If not, then I believe that the only way to prevent the pc from accessing the internet via IPV6 is to disable IPV6 in the pc's ethernet and/or wifi adapter(s).

Please let me know if this works for you.  If it doesn't I suspect that you would have to consider buying a router which would allow you set blocking rules. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersShaun
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @jl17,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Just to clarify, you're trying to have the PC connect wirelessly to a printer, but not have access to the internet otherwise? 

Maybe one of our Resident Experts can point you in the right direction. @gp-se@Datalink any suggestions?

Thanks,

RogersShaun

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jl17, I believe that this should be achievable.  I'll refer you to the following Midco CGN3 user manual, pages 89, 92 to  94. 

CGN3 user manual

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

From page 89 comes the following:

7.1.4 Service Filtering
Service filtering is a way of preventing users on the LAN from connecting with devices on the WAN via specific services, protocols or applications. It achieves this by permitting or denying traffic from the LAN to pass to the WAN, based on the target port.

The first thing to do is add the Service Filter as shown in Figure 38, page 94, ranging from port 1 to port 65535.  Set that to Enabled, All Day.  You will have to set up more than one rule, so that you have one rule for each protocol.  I have my modem running in Bridge mode, so I don't know if there is a combined TCP/UDP selection.  If not, you will need two rules.  

Then add the device to the Trusted device list and Enable the rule.  Hit Apply and restart or reboot the modem:  ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... reboot.

You will probably also have to disable the IPV6 protocol in the network adapter in the pc.  I don't know if IPV6 has been added to the Service Filter Protocols.  If not, then I believe that the only way to prevent the pc from accessing the internet via IPV6 is to disable IPV6 in the pc's ethernet and/or wifi adapter(s).

Please let me know if this works for you.  If it doesn't I suspect that you would have to consider buying a router which would allow you set blocking rules. 

View solution in original post