CGN3ACSMR and PLEX

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3ACSMR and PLEX

Hi All,

So I've setup Plex server at home and everytime I try to stream a movie from server to any of my local PCs or Smart TV (wireless or wired),  CGN3ACSMR modem crashes and reboots itself (this is my second modem, first one did the same thing). This is so frustrating and i can't figure out why is this happening.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3ACSMR and PLEX

Does the PLEX server require a protocal of some type to be supported by the router or modem, whichever its connected to?  I thinking of something like Small Message Block (SMB) or SAMBA protocal. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for quick reply Datalink.

I don't belive so. The server is just a Windows7 PC running Plex app, and not NAS that is usually running some version of Linux.

Cheers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just looking at the plex site, I can see that it uses SSL and support DLNA.  DLNA support is probably pretty common for routers, but I don't know if the modem provides the same support in either or both cases.  I suspect if you called into tech support the response would be that SSL and DLNA are beyond Tech Support coverage and you would have to pay $69.95 just to get an answer from the Techxpert staff as to whether or not the modem provides the necessary support.  You could always try and see what type of response you get from the first level tech support. 

Edit:  here's an example of the AsusWRT user interface.  If you look at the USB Applications you can see the various settings for media server support.  I would think that the modem would require similar settings to run the server correctly. 

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/mediaserver.asp

Edit 2:  just looking at the data sheet for the CGN3, it indicates "Integrated DLNA Media Server with support for video, audio and image serving".  So, making an assumption here, since the two modems are closely related, the CGN3ACSMR might/should have the same support.  If so, does it need enabling by tech support?  Looking at the features for the various Hitron modems, DLNA Media Server support is shown for the models listed, including the close cousin, the CGNM-2250, so it should be a safe assumption that the CGN3ACSMR supports this as well.

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation