CGN3ACSMR Losing Internet Dozens of Times Daily

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: CGN3ACSMR Losing Internet Dozens of Times Daily

Any luck? This is happening daily.
I Plan to Stick Around

@JesseAndJen Did you ever figure out a solution to this?  The problems you are having sound very similar to what is happening with me.  I just followed @Datalink's advice to do a factory reset because apparently IPv6 wasn't supported.  I now have an IP address with numbers followering it (instead of just a comma and nothing). 

@Datalink I did the IPv6 test.  Before it said IPv6 was not supported and I had a score of 4/20.  After doing a factory reset I have 17/20.  

I will update in a few days to say if there have been any of the same disconnect problems since.  This has been happening for a while now, and is totally random.  I had zero disconnects for a whole week, then it started again, and this morning it disconnected me 5 times (included when I was trying to live chat with Rogers).  I have a tech coming out tomorrow but after reading through this thread I feel like that won't be very helpful! 

Anyway, like I said, I will update here to tell everyone how it goes, so we can see if this is how the problem is solved. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pokofish, the 17/20 is probably caused by a failure for IPV6 ICMP and IPV6 Hostname.

For the IVP6 ICMP, you will have to add an exemption for that in the Windows firewall and probably the anti-virus firewall as well.  

The IPV6 Hostname will remain as it is as Rogers is not supplying an IPV6 Hostname.  

When you have the firewall issues sorted out, run the same test.  Run it a few times to ensure that you see a consistent result.  I've seen inconsistent results from the ipv6-test.com site, so, I'll usually refresh the page a few times. 

Also, as a last check for IPV6 capability, run an IPV6 trace from a command prompt to ensure that it runs all the way to the end.  Please let us know if it does not run all the way to the test target, which in this case is google.

tracert -6 ipv6.google.com

If you have any issues with android devices in the future, run that trace, looking for a failure to confirm that there is a possible IPV6 network issue that is causing the android problem.  We've seen that recently, but, hopefully by now it has been corrected across the network.  

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Thank you so much for the info!  I ran the trace test and it completed.  Was there anything else I was meant to be looking for in that test, or just making sure it completed?

I set up the exception in my firewall, so now I am getting a score of 19/20 from the IPv6 test (I ran it several times and keep getting 19/20).  What it says about that score is this: "There is no reverse DNS record to associate your IPv6 address with a host name. Reverse DNS records are required by some Internet protocols and are usually managed at the ISP level."  Not sure if that matters at all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That trace was just to ensure that you have IPV6 connectivity beyond the first three or four servers on the outbound path.  The ipv6-test should do the same, but seeing the trace go all the way to the end target and return the data is a good visual confirmation that IPV6 is working.  

That IPV6 Hostname won't, or shouldn't matter unless you're running a server and need a hostname that will refer to the server's IP address.  IPV6 gurus please chime in here 🙂

Just to note, don't add the same ICMP exemption for IPV4.  That is solely for IPV6 purposes only.  

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Datalink,

You are correct - an IPv6 hostname is not required unless you are running a server. For a consumer-grade Internet connection, 19/20 on the IPv6 test is perfect. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm happy to say that my connection still doesn't have any problems since I removed the splitter. I'm going to unsubscribe from this topic due to the amount of notification e-mails I'm receiving.

Thanks for your help @Datalink.

I Plan to Stick Around

So I called Rogers last week and they sent a tech out the next day.  The tech replaced all the connectors/splitters since they were very old (some of the connectors were ones that they haven't even used in 10 years).  The connection was fine for about a day and a half after that (but it's so random so that doesn't mean anything).  Then it disconnected like it has been doing.  It was doing it a couple times a day since, but I was able to tolerate it but knew the problem was still happening.  

Today has been REALLY bad.  In the last hour it has dropped 6 times.  I have called Rogers again and explained all this again and now it is going to be monitored to see if anything is going on in my area.  It's very frustrating since no one seems to be able to figure out the exact problem.  Levels are all fine, cables and connectors should be fine now, modem is fine... I hope someone can figure it out.  

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Pokofish,

I had a similar issue 3 weeks ago.  It turned out that someone at Rogers provisioned an incorrect profile to my cable modem, which caused my WAN/Internet connection to drop repeatedly during the day.

Have you asked technical support to re-apply the correct profile to your cable modem?

I Plan to Stick Around

@robindp No I haven't, but I will ask them tomorrow to see if that helps any.  They should be calling me back after monitoring the connection.  That might make sense though, since it doesn't seem to be affecting my neighbours in the same building as me who are also on Rogers.  Thanks for the info!

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 12 in conversation