*** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: *** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

I hope not cause this one fixes the latency issue but breaks the wifi the only way for me to turn my wifi on is by using a backup file i made with when it was turned on. Turning the wifi off then back on again does not turn the wifi on at all only the light for 2.4ghz comes on but not 5ghz and it does not broadcast restarting the modem fixes nothing you have to use a backup file or do a factory reset to enable the wifi again. But they said they have fixed this issue in the next firmware so i would like to test that before they call it stable.

I've Been Around

Was having issue with Blizzard games with latency(lag/dc) (Heroes of the storm and Hearthstone) with GCN3ACSMR(prior to firmware update).

I just received firmware update and it seems that I have no issue so far... Just in case that this is somehow happening for now, I'll have to test again tomorrow during primetime and hope the updated firmware fixed issue with Blizzard games as well.

Thanks for quick firmware update .

I've Been Here Awhile

I see this the orginal post  more than two weeks old now. I just switch to Ignite service and got a new router (CGN3ACSMR) and since I havent been able to play LoL or any Battle.net game without crippling lag. Now I only got the router about a week ago, clearly this firmware update wasn't on it/hasn't been released yet. Just looking for an update on this release because I still can't connect to these services at all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Go to the first post in this thread, take a read thru it and send the modem's MAC addresss and your Cable Account Reference Number, which is located at the top of the Internet section of your bill to CommunityHelps.  When you are signed into the forum, just follow this link @CommunityHelps to get to the public page and follow the link on the upper right hand corner titled "Send this user a private message" to take you to the next page.  The pm address is already filled in, just have to fill in a title and your info and hit Send.  If the staff aren't terribly busy with a number of requests, you might see the update pushed out later tonight.   

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey, thanks for the reply. The situation is that I rent and share a house with an older woman a little unfamiliar with modern technology.  We share payment for internet but bottom line is I don't feel comfortable asking for any account numbers or things like that so I can't contact Rogers directly to ask for the update.

I realize you aren't a Rogers employee and might not have this information, but do you have any estimate of when they will be releasing the update large-scale to all customers, and when that happens will something need to be done with the router to recieve and update the firmware or will the process happen automatically.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, but I don't have any idea when the general release will happen.  When that does occur, it shouldn't matter what configuration the modem is in.  The process itself will be automatic.

As far as the account number, you don't need the account number that refers to the whole bill.  Buried at the top of the internet section of the bill is the Cable Account Reference Number.  That is a specific number tied to the internet service, and that is the number that you need.  If you have access to that, you're halfway there.  You could try to explain that the modem requires a firmware update to operate better and set up the message so that all that is required is the Reference number.  Have her fill out the number and hit send.  Diplomacy is the key word of the day.  If thats a no go, my guess is that it will be several weeks before the firmware sees general distribution.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mmaynard2 can you delete your post as its not a good idea to leave the modem MAC adddress out in the open. 

Go to the first post in this thread, take a read thru it and send the modem's MAC addresss and your Cable Account Reference Number to CommunityHelps.  When you are signed into the forum, just follow this link @CommunityHelps to get to the public page and follow the link on the upper right hand corner titled "Send this user a private message" to take you to the next page.  The pm address is already filled in, just have to fill in a title and your info and hit Send.  If the staff aren't terribly busy with a number of requests, you might see the update pushed out later tonight.   

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Datalink,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but, how would one know if the firmware has been updated other than constantly checking through game matches? Will they send a confirmation email after the update has completed? Thank you. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you send in your request during the day or early evening, you will probably see the update pushed out either very late in the evening or during the overnight maintenance period.  If not, then it should be pushed out no later than the next night.

You can tell if you have the latest firmware by logging into the modem to check the firmware version or simply pinging the modem.  The old version is 4.4.8.13.  The new version is 4.5.8.16

If you are connected directly to the modem with the modem in Gateway mode, you can log into and ping 192.168.0.1   If you are connect to a router with the modem in Bridge mode you can log into, and ping 192.168.100.1

Here is an example of what you see with the previous 4.4.8.13 loaded:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 6ms

Note the random ping times and average of 6 ms.

Here is the ping test after 4.5.8.16 is pushed out:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 1ms

Note that the average ping time to the modem drops from an average of 5 to 6 ms down to 1 ms.  Its not perfect as there are still random high ping times in the double digits, but its still a very good improvement.

To receive the update you need to have the CGN3ACSMR running in Gateway mode with the 2.4 Ghz network up and running.  I dont' think there will be any issues if both wifi networks are up and running but at a minimum, the 2.4 Ghz network must be up and running. 

There are two bugs in this updated version:

1.  The wifi is all or nothing.  You either have to have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks running, or both disabled.

2.  The firmware doesn't appear to save the enabled / disabled state for the wifi, so, if the power goes out at some point, when the modem fires up, there is a mismatch between what the wifi is actually doing, ie, on or off, and what the user interface indicates.  The way around this is to first save a backup file for the modem.  Navigate to ADMIN.....BACKUP and use the Backup button to create a backup file somewhere on your pc.  Do this when you have the modem settings configured to your preferences.  If the power ever goes out, run a factory reset by pressing the reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it.  You can also initiate a reset from the ADMIN....DEVICE RESET page.  After the reset and reboot, reload the backup file using the ADMIN....BACKUP page, and then reboot.  Problem solved.

The all or nothing issue has been resolved for the next firmware release.

I've Been Here Awhile

Works perfectly now, after the update. Took as long as they promised it would. Thanks so much!