*** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: *** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

1. I have tried the CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode with the ASUS router in full router mode. I also gave the PS4 a static IP and set it in the ASUS router's DMZ and still had the same issue with NAT. As far as I can tell with that setup the PS4 should have been getting NAT Type 1 (Open) but for whatever reason still recieved NAT Type 2 and caused many party chat issues.

2. Actually I already submitted my info to get the firmware update earlier today. Once I get it I will try bridging the modem again and putting the PS4 in the ASUS router's DMZ.

3. Assuming I get the update overnight tonight I will try what @Dragus said in the post you linked me to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like you're couple steps ahead of me.  After the download is completed and you're in test mode, can you try a couple of different configurations with the modem bridged and the Asus router running in full router mode:

1.  PS4 in a DMZ behind the Asus router; and

2.  PS4 running behind the Asus firewall with a static IP address assigned by the router and port forwarding enabled on the router. 

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Asus/RT-N66U/PS4.htm

If neither of those work, and assuming that you connect via ethernet, try connecting the PS4 to a second port on the CGN3ACSMR.  If it operates like the CGN3, you should be able to obtain an IP address from the modem and end up in effect in a DMZ behind the modem.  I don't recommend this configuration to anyone other than testing as the PS4 is not firewall protected, but it might be interesting to know if the PS4 would operate as expected.

I'm Here A Lot

Unfortunately, I did not yet receive the update overnight last night so I will have to wait. And tomorrow I leave for vacation and don't return until the 21st so it may be a while before I can test it out properly. Also I was calling all the Rogers Stores in my area and no one seemed to have the CGN3 in stock so how would I go about getting that modem?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You might see the update by late tonight.  Possibly by the time that you return the local stores might have more in stock.  I wouldn't worry about it until you return and have a chance to test out the PS4 first.  Hopefully by then there will be additional info posted in the forum and we'll know what's up.

If you are on a defined monthly limit of X Gb, and you don't need to have your modem left on for any reason, unplug it so that its not powered.  When you return check your daily stats just to make sure there wasn't any strange download / upload numbers generated in your absence.  With the modem unplugged, those numbers should be zero during your absence.

I'm Here A Lot

So I just got the update. Put the modem into bridged mode and the ASUS to full router but now when I do speed tests I get around 95Mb/s download but before the update I got around 325Mb/s downloads. Why is it so much slower?

EDIT: It seems as if it is being throttled because every test is coming out at 94 which makes no sence considering I have the 250Mb/s package and as I said before I was getting around 325Mb/s

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Log into the Asus router and look for a tab located in LAN....SWITCH CONTROL.  In that Switch Control tab is a Hardware Acceleration setting which should be ON or Enabled.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefully Datalink can pop back in, i think he was handling the thread on it.

There is a few settings on the Asus which seemed to be doing it.
(i think related to QoS, etc.)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That Hardware Acceleration is really is a poor name for this function as its real function is to enable or disable Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF).  The CTF is essentially data forwarding at the chip level, WAN IP address in, LAN IP address out.  It is designed to get the data to the end device as fast as possible using the fastest path possible.  However, the minute that you select some function, such as QOS, traffic monitoring and others, which requires processing by the router processor, you end up disabling CTF which then routes the data into the processor for some form of processing and finally out to the LAN IP address.  So you take a double hit, one for losing the CTF path, and the second for the processing time within the processor, all of which results in reduced throughput.  When you select a function somewhere in the interface, you might not see any warning of the CTF being disabled at that point.  So, that is the first thing to check.

Gdkitty, isn't your modem the same one, the RT-N66U?

@geoff890 did you run a factory reset on the Asus router, or did you have it up and running as a router previous to the firmware download?

I'm assuming the the switch control tab is in the LAN sub-section, as it is with my RT-AC68U.  What is it they say about assuming...hmm.  If you have to enable it, you might have to reboot the router for the change to take effect.

I'm Here A Lot

Under LAN>Switch Control the 2 options I see are "Enable Jumbo Frame" which is set to Disable and "NAT Acceleration" which is set to Auto. Is it one of these that I am supposed to be changing for that hardware acceleration thing?

I forgot you had suggested resetting the router. I just reset it and actually it seems to be back up to speed now.

Also something I have noticed on the PS4 now is that when testing the internet connection it no longer hangs for a few seconds while checking NAT Type. Also when I used to do the SharePlay Test Connection Speed its comes up as Good whereas it used to come up as Too Slow. I haven't been able to test party chat yet but so far between the firmware update and bridging the modem and putting the ASUS into full router mode it seems to be working well. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Under LAN>Switch Control the 2 options I see are "Enable Jumbo Frame" which is set to Disable and "NAT Acceleration" which is set to Auto. Is it one of these that I am supposed to be changing for that hardware acceleration thing?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Leave the Jumbo Frame disabled and leave the "NAT Acceleration" set to Auto.  Just keep in mind that enabling QOS, Traffic Monitoring, and other functions that require the router processor to do something to, or with the data will kick off the NAT Acceleration and you will see the speed drop. 

So far, it sounds very promising.  Keep the updates coming 🙂

If you run the PS4 behind the Asus firewall, you will probably have to use port forwarding to keep the PS4 running correctly.