cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3ACSMR Lan port

huh666
I Plan to Stick Around

When my GN3ACSMR loses its internet connection it will regain the connection  but the lan port "turns off".  The light on the front of the modem and on the lan port goes off and stays off.  I have tried all 4 ports and still encounter this issue.  Is it a problem with the modem?  Any ideas or suggestions.  The only way to resolve is to power cycle the modem.  Thank you.

232 REPLIES 232

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
I sent an email to Ellen Roseman at the Toronto Star about this. She wrote a piece on the Navigatr fiasco, so thought this might also be a good story idea too. Who knows - maybe if there's a lot more pressure on Rogers, they'll get this fixed faster. Waiting for her to write back. I will guarantee Rogers something. Bell is working to bring fibre right to the home in my neighbourhood. Once that happens, Rogers will lose me as a customer. I don't care if I have to pay a bit more with Bell. I've experienced FTTH with Bell and its consistent speed, low latency, and super stable/reliable connection is something Rogers can't come remotely close to.

@toolcubed wrote:
Bell is working to bring fibre right to the home in my neighbourhood. Once that happens, Rogers will lose me as a customer. I don't care if I have to pay a bit more with Bell. I've experienced FTTH with Bell and its consistent speed, low latency, and super stable/reliable connection is something Rogers can't come remotely close to.

Maybe I've had such horrible experiences with their DSL many many years ago (and their inability to do anything about fixing line problems that they say are caused by distance from the CO), but I would be hesitant to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Also, I don't know if you were around in summer 1999 when Bell made the absolutely boneheaded decision to deploy PPPoE, an unnecessary, useless, incompatible (especially back then) piece of technology that was rejected by almost every other North American DSL carrier. That being said, _I_ never had to experience it personally... because a month earlier Bell's level 2 techs had told me to switch to cable. 🙂 (and then a few years later my aunt also had a bad experience with DSL/distance. The only 'solution' for that was waiting for Cogeco to offer Internet...)

My view has always been that Rogers at least quietly tries to cater to the more technical user, e.g. blocking fewer ports, bridge mode allowing you to get a public IP directly on your equipment, etc. Everything about Bell's offerings seem targeted at the lower-bandwidth, non-technical user. And their marketing about "Fibe" and attempts to pitch FTTN as "fiber" really rubs me the wrong way... as does the claim that DSL is "never shared" which completely ignores how packet-switched networks work. Just a few months ago there was a rep in my building's lobby still making that argument... 

Maybe the FTTH service is better... (do they at least offer an equivalent to bridge mode? or some other way of not using their NAT?)

(Ironically, in my case, they were installing FTTH at my old apartment building the day before I moved out...)

Mo786
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same issue internet cuts out when in bridge mode with asus68u, swaped modem issue still occures. Does 4.5.8.20 fix this?

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@Mo786 wrote:

I have the same issue internet cuts out when in bridge mode with asus68u, swaped modem issue still occures. Does 4.5.8.20 fix this?

Unfortunately not...

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
The experience with FTTH is completely different and opposite to the experience with FTTN VDSL2. FTTH is quite remarkable, to put it simply. As for putting their modem into bridge mode, unfortunately that still can't be done but there are alternatives. Connecting your own router to their HH2000 gateway, disabling WiFi on the HH2000, & then configuring the Bell credentials on the 3rd party router, will put the HH2000 in pass through mode (essentially bridging it). The other alternative that works specifically for FFTH (not FTTN) is to remove their HH2000 completely and use your own router exclusively for Internet and TV 🙂

cyco
I Plan to Stick Around

I had my own router with Bell before, if you have the equipment that supports vlan tagging and trunking, plus the knowledge. It can be done taking the Bell modem completely out of the picture and running your router straight from the ONT modem.

@Datalink wrote:

Wonder if 4.5.8.20 was installing?  Have you checked the Software (Firmware) version indicated on the Status page?

I've had 4.5.8.20 for over a month, i was one of the first to get it when they were troubleshooting IPv6 in gateway mode.

cyco
I Plan to Stick Around

Speaking of v6, I just got the new firmware, how do I enable it?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the modem is already in Bridge mode with an IPV6 capable router behind it, you should be good to go.  Just a matter in that case of enabling IPV6 in the router and then rebooting the router.  You should then see IPV6 address when you run an ipconfig command at the command prompt.  If you log into the modem using 192.168.100.1, you will see the STATUS page showing the WAN IP Address:  none, none  at the upper right hand corner.

If you use the modem in gateway mode, you will need to run a factory reset, and of course, reenter the modem parameters you were using, essentially set the modem up again.  After the reset, when you log into the modem, the WAN IP Address will show the IPV4 and IPV6 address side by side.  If you  run a ipconfig command at the command prompt you will see the IPV6 address listed first.  If you have an XBox One, reboot the XBox so that it picks up an IPV6 address.

Edit:  If you have obtained a proper IPV6 address, you should see an IPV6 and temporary IPV6 address generated by Windows listed in the ipconfig results.  The IPV6 and temporary IPV6 address should not start with the same four digits.  If so, then the pc has not abtained a proper IPV6 address and the Windows operating system is simply generating its own temporary addresses.  

Run a test at http://ipv6-test.com to determine if you have a working IPV6 address.  

At the moment in West Ottawa, you can obtain an IPV6 address from the CMTS but the IPV6 test and any IPV6 traces fail due to an upstream router configuration problem that is being sorted out.  As a result, IPV6 in West Ottawa is not usable.  I don't know if that situation exists elsewhere, but, the IPV6 test will easily determine that. 

The other item to check is to ensure that IPV6 is enabled in the adapter settings.

cyco
I Plan to Stick Around

I can't use bridge mode without any issues, so I'm on gateway mode. I guess i need to factory reset, thanks 🙂

For the rest, I'm actually a v6 certified engineer and I have my own v6 provider until we get native v6 here in NB.

Cheers

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Problems in Brige mode?  

As far as I understand, Native IPV6 should now be available network wide, baring any local issues that need to be worked out.

cyco
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah the LAN  ports just go out of business, for whatever reason, gateway mode has no issues. Well... no issues.. I do have some latency issues, but it doesn't really affect my VoIP lines or anything.

I didn't have latency issues in bridged mode. But I am not using what I would call a "proper" setup, 2 routers back to back isn't what I would normally use, but I really like my custom Dlink and it complements very well my Avaya ERS-5510 *blush*

Good news!

We are actively working on resolving the issue where LAN ports get disabled intermittently and we have received a new firmware that corrects this issue. Although we are not ready yet for a large scale deployment, we have decided to launch a new program that enables Rogers Community Forum users to participate in the testing of this firmware and to provide us valuable feedback.

In order to participate in this trial, visit this thread.

View solution in original post

MikeyCarter
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3ACSMR LAN ports go off-line randomly when in bridge mode

I've been working fine for over I year or so.   Suddenly about, 5 weeks ago now, the LAN ports just stop working on the modem and only way to get them back is to reboot the rogers modem.   Happens about every 12-48 hours.

The modem is in bridge mode and connected to a peplink balance one.  The peplink balance reports "NO Cable".  unpluged the lan cables, change ports, reboot the peplink, even tested the cable for problems, nothing works till you reboot the rogers modem.  Which leads me to believe it the modem.  (although rogers support keeps pointing at the peplink)

I've tried replacing the modem, and it's still a problem.   Also if it's not in bridge mode the problem appears to go away.  (but in non-bridge mode my ATA doesn't work because of the dual NAT, and can't move it as it also is on a VPN via the peplink)

Any one have any ideas?  Is there a way of having the rogers modem report more debug information in bridge mode?  I could push it to my rsyslog server if needed.

mkiv18t
I've Been Around

This has been happening to me as well.  I thought it was a faulty modem and exchanged for another modem, but ended up with the same issue. 

Any idea if this trial firmware fixes this problem for sure?

thanks

@jaysfan24 wrote:

thanks

The firmware 4.5.8.21 does include the fix for this issue. We were unable to reproduce this condition in our internal testing after upgrading the firmware and therefore it is considered fixed at this point.

We will of course be in a better position to confirm that as part of the firmware trial.

@RogersDave wrote:

@jaysfan24 wrote:

thanks

The firmware 4.5.8.21 does include the fix for this issue. We were unable to reproduce this condition in our internal testing after upgrading the firmware and therefore it is considered fixed at this point.

We will of course be in a better position to confirm that as part of the firmware trial.

You can test this by just unplugging and re-plugging the coax. If the LAN ports come up, then the problem is solved

lasaid wrote: 

You can test this by just unplugging and re-plugging the coax. If the LAN ports come up, then the problem is solved

That specific case is definitely fixed.

cyco
I Plan to Stick Around

That's very good news, thanks a whole lot Dave for addressing that on here!