cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3ACSMR Lan port

huh666
I Plan to Stick Around

When my GN3ACSMR loses its internet connection it will regain the connection  but the lan port "turns off".  The light on the front of the modem and on the lan port goes off and stays off.  I have tried all 4 ports and still encounter this issue.  Is it a problem with the modem?  Any ideas or suggestions.  The only way to resolve is to power cycle the modem.  Thank you.

232 REPLIES 232

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

sm30
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Dlink dir-655. When it's connected the LED is Amber. I am using the house Cat 5e cabling.

When the connection drops it does not come back. I have to reboot the modem for it to reconnect. Just as @huh666 mentioned it's like the LAN ports go into sleep mode and only works after I reboot the modem. I have been on the phone with tech support while I had no connection. At first they said it was a node and neighborhood issue and it was resolved. After that they couldn't see any signal issues. All the tech mentioned was that he can see that the modem is timing out from the logs and a service tech has to come out to the house (This was on Thursday). Based on the timeouts he said they cannot tell why it is happening. My home has underground cabling, the supervisor tech that came out said the connection was fine outside the house.

Just an update my internet did not drop off Thursday and Friday nights. Saturday and Sunday nights it started to drop again. On Monday it also dropped in the afternoon. It did not drop last night and it's working so far (who knows how long that will last).

huh666
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a quick upate on tech visit today.  I was at work but my wife was home.  He checked everything out and told her that our entire street is having problems.  My wife said thathe said something about "niose" and that he would report it to his supervisor.  About half an hour later the tech called back and said that it had been reported to his supervisor as well as the Rogers team.  He was from LinkOn so I guess this means he has escalted it.  He told her that rogers will let us know hen it is fixed.  I gues I will just have to keep following up with them about once a week so that they don't forget.  @Datalink Thanks for the advice about disabling IPV6. I'll take your advice and keep my eyes open for when Rogers gets it all working properly

Datalink
Resident Expert

@sm30, whenever you see a drop out, call tech support and ensure that the incident is recorded.  Put tech support on speed dial and don't hesitate to use it  🙂

Ask the CSR to check other modems connected to your node.  You can also ask to speak with a tier 2 CSR who will have greater knowledge about node operations and will probably access to advanced test capability as well.

sm30
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, sorry I should have mentioned I was talking to a tier 2 CSR (supervisor).  Thanks 🙂 I will keep on them as frustrating as it is.

sm30
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, my connection dropped again sometime last night. I spoke to another tier 2 CSR this morning. He said he can see the modem online but nothing from the LAN ports. After I power cycled the modem he was able to see them.

He checked my connection and it was good. I also asked him to check my neighbourhood node and other modems on it and he said the connection looks good and does not see any neighbourhood issues. He said it could be a hardware or firmware problem with the modem. I tried to get him to escalate this to the engineering team but he wouldn't as he said we need to try all possibilities before he can open a ticket with them. His recommendation is to downgrade my modem to the CGN3, he said it is almost the same as my current one minus the AC. If the problem is still there then this can be escalated to engineering.

I don't get it I have had this modem for the past year and no issues (already swapped the modem last week). Only in the last 3 weeks this issue started and the CSR said there was no recent software updates released.

What do you think?