CGN3ACSMR Lan port

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

I live in Tottenham, ON in a brand new subdivision with dedicated Fiber being ran into my house. 

I have been experiencing this disconnect issue on the Hitron CGN3AC since I moved in in March 7th.

Just last night it happened again. The problem on my modem persists in bridge mode and router mode. 

Currently I have my modem connecting to a Cisco 2851 Router in my home lab. I have also tested the modem connectied to my new Toshiba laptop and a ASUS RT-N56U Router. 

The issue seems to be with the DOCSIS WAN address on the Rogers modem. When i look at the Modem page via 192.168.100.1, the DOCSIS WAN IP address reads 0.0.0.0 and all my ethernet ports are dead. 

Of course I can only access the page if the modem is in router mode. If its in bridge mode i cannot see the logs as it kills all the ethernet ports.

Rogers seems oblivious to this issue so I dont know what to tell them when I call.

I am just happy I am not alone. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, this is an interesting issue.  First one on the forum reporting fibre to the home.  Can you confirm that you have an Optical Network Terminal of some type at the end of the fibre, which connects to the modem?  My initial guess is that the ONT isn't providing an IP address to the connected modem for some reason.  Could be a fibre issue, could be an ONT or modem issue.  If you don't have any success with Tier 1 Tech Support, ask to speak with a Tier 2 tech. The first step I think would be to ensure that the ONT is up and running as it should be and go from there to the modem, checking the ONT output and modem input.  If you look at the signal levels on the modem's STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, both downstream and upstream, are they live, or does the downstream indicate -20 dBmV across the board, which would point to an output failure on the ONT.  If you can copy those tables and paste them into the thread, it might yield some info.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text components of the tables, so you don't have to insert a screen capture. 

Maybe one of the mods can comment on their readiness to handle residential Fibre terminal configurations.  Is there a smaller subset of techs assigned to handle residential fibre issues?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the exact same issue and I live in North York in GTA.

It happened twice last week with exactly same symptom of my CGN3ACSMR (in bridge mode). The only way I can get back Internet access is power cycle the modem otherwise all 4 LAN ports are dead.

I can replicate the issue by unplug the coax cable and let the modem start trying resync. Right after modem loses sync all LAN ports are dead and will not be back even after regainning the sync with CMTS.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just came home and my network was down again. 

To answer your question, yes I have a fiber terminal coming into my house that has fiber in and coax out to modem and funny enough, a 3rd coax cable for power (dont ask). 

I can also replicate the issue by unplugged my coax cable and reconnecting it. all 4 lan ports die and do not come back up unless I power cycle the modem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone from Rogers have any insight for us on this issue. It seems to me like it is an issue with these modems. Can it be fixed by a firmware update?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Add me to the people with issue. I have just upgraded my *BUSINESS* account at work from 60/10 w/Cisco DPC3825 to 100/10, which needed the CGN3 upgrade. It was upgraded Thursday, and early morning Sunday (2am-ish) the thing locked up or whatever. Lucky for me I have a DSL backup so i was able to still receive customer files to our FTP without going to work to reset the modem. Modem is in bridge mode with the .16 firmware

Note to Rogers... Why do you supply such buggy devices for Business customers? Why can't you offer a modem only solution? Hitron does make a modem only device, the CDA3 that's approved and in use by TPIA. Why can't we get that if we don't want a gateway?

I had the DPC3825 for 3 years, and while I struggled with reliability due to RF noise/packetloss in the area, the modem NEVER went offline and never needed to be rebooted because it locked up. Three days in the Hitron locks up.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

There were two more lock-ups during the past week. This modem is a joke and technical support is not helping. I'm seriously considering leaving Rogers.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its wierd , as there are people here with the CNG3ACSMR who have zero lock ups either...
(though most of them are all BRIDGE MODE setup though..  maybe thats the diference?)

If the AC wireless is not needed on the ACSMR, and your not on a plan which REQUIRES that unit, you could always step bakc to the CGN3

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Unfortunately bridge mode still has it occur.  I went to bridge mode and granted its been doing fine for about a week but my ports locked last week.

Would be nice to hear from Rogers whether or not they are even aware and working on a solution.   

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had the CNG3ACSMR for several months or 1yr+ (basically right when it came out) and this problem started happening about 2 weeks ago. I always had problems with the wireless routing with this gateway so I bought the Asus AC68U to use in bridged mode.

Worked fine for several months and then 2 weeks ago it started happening so I called and rep said it is a known issue and requires a firmware update. Had to do a hard reset which defaults all the settings so then I have to bridge it again with the external router. Then it happens again about 4-5 days later. And now a third time today about 3 days later. Of course I have to deal with changing the settings back. 

It's a little bit ridiculous that the "gateway" is so broken both wireless and now the modem bit.

And in case you thought about switching to their competitor "Bell" they only offer you the lower tier service (aka non fibe 5mbps down) so you don't even have a choice if you want to use the larger providers.