CGN3ACSMR Lan port

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

@sm30 I too had tech on the phone and the first service call tech try to get me to swapnout to the CGN3. Although i now have an open ticket open for "noise" on the neighborhood lines I really don't expect this issue to go away. I agree that it seems to be a firmware or hardware issue. Maybe Rogers has changed somthingn onn the back end? My issues started about the same time as yours after no problems in the past.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you confirm that the only device plugged into the modem's LAN ports is the DIR-655?  Anything else?  Also, the modem is running in Bridge mode, correct?

Fwiw, that router is pretty old by today's standards.  That's one of the few routers that never had any firmware upgrades from what I remember.  I used one of these until buying an Asus RT-AC68U.   

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, that's correct the DIR-655 is the only device plugged into the modem's LAN port. The modem is running in bridge mode.

So are you currently using the Asus RT-AC68U with the CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode?

Do you think it could be something on the back end that Rogers did as @huh666 mentioned?

Update: I just got a call from the supervisor tech that came out last Friday. He saw that the problem is still happening and setup a maintenance call to have the guys check my neighbourhood this week. Let's see what they come back with.

I will hold off on downgrading my modem. This is something I don't really want to do anyway.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nice that the supervisor tech called.  Looks like whatever it is, its a neighborhood issue, so, not just you alone.  I'd wait until the maintenance crew has a chance to check things out.  I'm running the CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode with the RT-AC68U as the router.  I've never had any issues with it and there are others on the forum who run that modem as well. 

Looking at the D-Link site for the 655, the last firmware update was three years ago, so, thats been a while.  There have been security incidents occur since that time where manufacturers have had to release firmware updates, so, that is something to think about. 

http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-655

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm having a strange issue with my Hitron CGN3 modem.  I've had them replace it once and  issues seem to persist.

Whats happening is after a couple days or so all physical wired connections faiil.  All wireless devices arestill online and active.  If I go onto the router it shows all wireless devices in the list.  But all the ethernet connections are gone.   If I reboot it works again for a few days and rinse and repeat.

I have another router I plan to just put the CGN3 in bridge to it and have it handle everything but my fear is it will possible fail being I'd still be relying on one LAN port to stay active.

Just curious if anyone else has had this or not.

Thanks,

Mike.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fr0stByte72, you're the third person in the last few days to see this.  Take a read thru this thread, now that your post has been moved here.  I wonder if you're in the same area as either of the others in this thread.  Your particular instance where a network fails, either the LAN or 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks has been seen before as well, and in every case so far, the problem has been tracked down to a faulty adapter on the remote device.  Taking that approach, if you isolated the LAN devices, one at a time by unplugging them from the LAN ports, you might find that one of those devices has a problematic ethernet port.

What you might find is that plugging in your router to the modem and then running all of the LAN devices off of the router might stop the failures altogether.  Its possible that the router is more fault tolerant than the modem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Fr0stByte72 I am located in Brampton as is the other person repoting this strange issue.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@huh666 thanks. I'm located in Orillia (north of Barrie) I originally had connectivity issues with the internet entirely, they seemed to fixed that by replacing the line to the house. Now I have this sleeping port issue. Works for a few days and all hardwired goes offline and all wifi stays online.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a quick update. Still having the same issue with modem shutting off LAN ports at least once a day. Called tech support for a status update and they said they sent maintenance out to check my street and they did some work but they are still "monitoring" the situation but are unable to give me timeframe for when it will be resolved.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I also have an update. I had a senior tech from Rogers come out to my house on Monday and he was aware of the issue. There are quite a few others having the same issue in Brampton. They believe something happened on the back end and are trying to figure it out.

For now I am keeping a log of every time I lose connection and updating the senior tech periodically.

@huh666 have you been keeping a log of your downtime as well?