CGN3ACSMR Lan port

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsorhaug
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

I read through the 20 pages of posts on this issue and it sounds like the issue has to do with the fact that Rogers is upgrading their back-end network in many areas to handle Gigabit services.  This new equipment is apparently what makes the modem have some issue that shuts down the LAN Ports (from what I can read).  So there is a beta version of a new firmware that you need to get through the Community Helps (follow the instructions) page which is supposed to fix it (people have reported that it resolves the issue).  I'm now waiting to get mine.  But you have to request it to get it -- not automatically rolled out to everyone as it's not yet a fully approved update.  And yes, they can push it out in bridge mode (Mine is too). 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jsorhaug I would say that your summation is spot on.  The problem between the Casa Systems CMTS equipment and the CGN3ACSMRs / CGNM-3552s is an unexpected issue which I would conclude did not show up in lab testing.  This isn't the first time that real world application of new equipment uncovers unexpected problems and I'm sure it won't be the last, no matter what field of endeavour we're talking about.

jsorhaug
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

Thanks for all of your input into this issue in the main thread.  Very, very helpful! No doubt that these things can happen, but I would assume that a lot of people must be affected by this of which many, if not most, won't discover this forum and stuck dealing with rogers call centre who do not even know about this issue? Anyway, hopefully I'm getting my firmware soon.  I was told 48-72 hrs (which seems a bit too loooong), hopefully it will come quicker. 

Cheers,

Jan

jsorhaug
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi again Datalink,

I got my .21 firmware overnight, so the LAN port shut down issue is taken care of which is great.  I also had a Rogers tech over this morning to look into the quality of the signal coming to my house (call centre said that a test they ran saw noise on my line).  He replaced the ground wire circuit outside my house (which he said could have caused some issues), but otherwise said the signal was good.  I've read in some of your other posts that a signal noise ratio above 40 db is high (mine is ~41 db on all ports), and that signal strength should be 0 (mine is 2-3 across the ports).  I have new wiring (less than 5 years old) coming into the house and inside the house.  All connectors and splitters were recently changed.  Thoughts? 

Thanks a lot!

Jan

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

+/- 10 is technically in the OK range..

2-3 is not too bad and wouldnt overly worry about it.. starts going 6+/- or more? Yeah.

jsorhaug
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks a lot, Gdkitty.  Appreciate it. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That signal to noise ratio isn't actually a signal to noise ratio.  Its really a Modulation Error Rate that is shown as a Signal to Noise ratio for simplicity's sake.  So, beyond 40 dB would translate to very little error in the final quadrantal signal position versus where it should be.   If you look at page 68 and beyond in the following brief, and I do mean just in passing, you can see examples of where the quadrantal signal points are for a perfect signal, and what happens if the signal is less than perfect.  The greater the distance from the correct point in time and space so to speak, the lower the Signal to Noise ratio.  Page 73 and 74 are good examples.

http://www.gcscte.org/presentations/2008/Ron.Hranac_Presentation-BER%20+%20MER%20Fun.pdf

Over time, as the external cables and connectors age, the signal loss, from one end to the other increases, so the downstream signal levels drop and the upstream levels increase as the modem output power increases to counteract the losses heading back to the neighborhood node.  That degradation normally takes several years.

MikeyCarter
I've Been Here Awhile

There's two problems to this.

1. the lan cutting out on signal loss

2. what's causing the signal loss in the first place.   

In bridge mode, is there a way of tracking the signals over time and capturing say to rsyslog server?   Even possibly tracking things like the connection status?

Rogers Support is convinced it must be my internal hardware causing the signal loss... which is funny last time something like this happend they said things like... must be my linux computer, internal hardware, smart TV causing the internet interuptions... turned out the cable guy forgot to screw on the cable at the end of the street so any heavy vehical passing by caused it to shake loose a bit... wasn't till it fell off completely did they send someone to fix it.

So mostly want to track the singal loss to see if I can locate common events.  May be due to over usage or something but need the logs to track the common events with my routers.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"Rogers Support" as in tech support?  If so, don't bother.  The forum is ahead of tech support on this issue.  

If you have a CGN3ACSMR as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem, then you should ask for the trial version firmware which is V4.5.8.21 which resolves the dead lan ports when a CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552 modem is connected to a Casa CMTS.

Have a look at the first post of the thread below.  Then, as the post indicates, follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the public page for Communityhelps.  On the right hand side is another link to "Send this user a private message"  Follow that link to the message composition page, fill in the title and text as required and hit send.  Its already addressed.  One of the moderators should get back to you via private message.  Watch your name icon at the upper right hand corner for an overlaid number, and then select the name to bring up the popup overlay with a further link to an mail icon.  Follow that link to the message inbox.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

jsorhaug
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

The firmware (.21) has been running now for 3 days and no issues with LAN Ports which is great.  However, I still have frequent signal loss (as in at least twice or more a day).  My router tells me that my internet connection has been up now for just an hr and 30 minutes.  Why does it go down so "frequently"? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jan