CGN3ACSMR Lan port

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

Just to be sure of what modem you currently have, can you have a look at the product sticker at the back of the modem and let us know which one it is.  There are three CGN3 series modems, the CGN3, CGN3ACR, and CGN3ACSMR.  

Along with that please log into the modem and check which Software (Firmware) version is loaded as seen on the STATUS page the comes up when you log into the modem.  

Also navigate to the STATUS ..... DOCSIS EVENT log and look for the following sequence:

a. CMTS-MAC=00:17:10     which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), or;
b. CMTS-MAC=00:12:43    which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

Rogers is currently replacing some of the Cisco CMTS equipment with the Casa Systems CMTS in order to run gigibit service.  This has resulted in some type of issue between the Casa CMTS and the CGN3ACSMR where the modem lan ports go dead.  Rogers is working on a firmware fix for this at the present time but I don't have any estimate as to when that will be ready to go.  

From your description it looks as if you would have a CGN3ACSMR with fimrware version 4.5.8.16, or possibly 4.4.8.14.  If so, then yes the Wifi LED will illuminate when the modem is in Bridge mode.  Firmware version 4.5.8.20 is currently rolling out for that modem and that particular bug has been corrected.  

If you have 4.5.8.16 with the modem running in Bridge mode, then you can run IPV6 through your router.  Firmware version 4.5.8.20 will allow IPV6 operation when the modem is running in Gateway mode but the modem requires a factory reset after that version is loaded in order for the modem and connected devices to acquire an IPV6 address.  

The LAN port LEDs on the back of the modem are as follows:

Amber:  indicates a 1 Gb/s connection rate with the connected device.

Green:  indicates a 10/100 mb/s connection rate with the connected device.

So, have a look at the modem and software version and let us know what you find.

I'm Here A Lot

Can I access the modem in bridge mode (if I manually assign an IP and connect to the modem directly & disconnect my router) or do I need to do a factory reset and get it back into gateway mode

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That depends on the modem and firmware that is loaded. 

If you have a CGN3 with 4.2.4.6 loaded, you can access the modem when its in Bridge mode, thru the router, by using 192.168.100.1    If you try that and it doesn't work, then you probably still have 4.2.4.5 loaded, and in that case you will have to do a factory reset and then log into the modem.

If you have a CGN3ACSMR you can use 192.168.100.1 when the modem is running in Bridge mode and you are connected to the router. 

Note that in some cases, users have had to add a routing rule to their router in order to use 192.168.100.1   I use a CGN3ACSMR in Bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U and have never needed to add any additional routing rules to access the modem via 192.168.100.1

The specific modem model can be seen on the product sticker at the back of the modem.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So if I were to go back to Teksavvy or another 3rd party ISP and get the same 100/10 service...would I be experiencing the same issues assuming that Rogers is doing an upgrade... or does it only affect a specific modem

I remember long time ago Rogers had an approved 3rd party modem list.. does this still exist today..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

".... or does it only affect a specific modem"

I'm not sure of what you are asking here.  In all cases, with a direct connection to a CNG3 series modem that is running in Gateway mode, you can use 192.168.0.1 to access the modem.  I believe that you can also use 191.168.100.1 as well in all cases, but I'm not sure of the CGN3ACR modem.

In the case where the modem is running in Bridge mode, the CGN3 with firmware 4.2.4.6 and the CGN3ACSMR with 4.5.8.16 or the newer 4.5.8.20 (rolling out now) can be accessed thru the router, or with a direct connection to the modem by using 192.168.100.1.    This might also work exactly the same with the CGN3ACR, but I'm not sure about it.

As far as what a Teksavvy modem might use for an address, I wouldn't want to guess as to what it might be.  I'd have to read thru the modem manuals to find out. 

I don't think that the 3rd party modem list exists today.  Rogers changed the policy regarding modem rentals on the last iteration of the pricing structure and now all of the modems are included in the price.  There isn't any discount for owning your own modem.  Who knows, maybe that will change back someday. 

Hope this helps. If I missed the point please let me know.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can delete all of the above post, which would be a good idea as it contains your MAC address.   

The problem is indicated by the following sequence in the events log:  CMTS-MAC=00:17:10

That indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems CMTS.  At the present time the CGN3ACSMR is exhibiting some incompatibility with the new Casa Systems CMTS equipment that is replacing the Cisco CMTS equipment. As a result the LAN ports die, and that is probably the same for the wifi. The Casa equipment has been brought in for the gigabit service. There may be other reasons as well but the main purpose is most likely the gigabit service. Rogers is working on a firmware fix at the present time. No forecast date for deployment but I don't think it will be very long before that is deployed across the network.  That will probably solve the problem.

Your downstream signal levels are good as are the signal to noise ratios.  The upstream signal levels are slightly low.  Normally they are in the 36 to 40 dBmV.  That is something to keep an eye on from time to time.  Normally the upstream levels go up as the external cable signal losses increase over the years due to the age of the cable, so its a little unusual to see them below the normal range but it does happen.

I'm Here A Lot

Thx so much for your help...Few questions

1- is there a workaround in the mean time.. example; operate in gateway mode.

2 - If I were to switch to their small business internet package would they resolve the issue any quicker and would I get the same modem model

3 - is CGN3ACSMR the latest modem available.. can I go to the rogers store and change for another model that does not have this issue

4 - are all users connected to Casa Systems CMTS with this model modem in bridge mode having the same issue...

Restarting the modem every other day is inconvenient considering I have my phone running through this service...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

1. It doesn't make any difference as to the mode of operation, Gateway or Bridge, at least as far as I know.

2. I don't believe that there will be any difference in how fast the problem is resolved, ie: whether you are on a residential or business plan, although I could be absolutely wrong on this one. Maybe one of the mods can comment on that. I believe that it will require another firmware update but I don't know if that is network wide or if it will be targeted to certain modems as determined by certain technical criteria.

3. The CGN3ACSMR is the latest version of the CGN3. You could downgrade to the CGN3 until this is over, just be aware that there is a small amount of latency to and thru the CGN3. I don't know if that will pose any problems with VOIP phones. I'm assuming that you are running your modem in Bridge mode with a router behind it.

The CGN3ACSMR received a firmware update at the end of May 2015 to resolve issues with latency and other problems that made the modem unusable for online gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other latency intolerant application. So, for any of those purposes and since that update to 4.5.8.16, its probably the best 24 channel cable modem in Canada with 4.5.8.16 or 4.5.8.20 loaded. If you switch down to a CGN3, keep these points in mind.

4. I don't know if every CGN3ACSMR with the Casa Systems CMTS are suffering from this problem. Our CMTS was switched during the last weekend and I haven't seen any issues so far. There is obviously some triggering event, but I don't know what it is.

Edit:  I was just reminded by another post, you could always upgrade to gigabit service which requires a different modem.  That modem is delivered by a tech, so you can't pop into a Rogers store to pick one up, at least, not yet.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's a great idea @toolcubed!
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having the same problem for the past month of so and it was driving me nuts. In fact, I was overseas and could not access some files at home because the modem's LAN port had "died". I thought it was a one off, but this kept happening about once a week for the past month or two.

I noticed in my event log that I seem to be on the new CMTS.

I wish Rogers would put notices for things like this since stable internet is crucial. 

I do see that the firmware push was finally successful to my modem last night after a few attempts - I'm now on 4.5.8.20 - hopefully this fixes ths issue?