CGN3ACSMR Lan port

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

I am having the same problem for about a month. I am in Maple, Major Mac/Dufferin area. Had my modem replaced last weekend and the issue still there. I was having no issues for about 4 months once I switched to that type of modem. Just yesterday talked to Rogers support and as usual they blamed my router and told me that everything is fine on their end. After that I decided to troubleshot modem myself and  realized that the LAN ports are completelly dead. Searched the internet and found this forum. Apparently the issue is known, but Rogers is trying to hide it from customers. I have Rogers internet for more than 10 years and very disapointed with the way they handle it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't necessarily say that Rogers is trying to hide the issue.  I think its more a case of the forum staff, Resident Experts and some forum members being ahead of Tech Support on this issue, which is very recent.  That comes down to someone deciding what information to disseminate to Tech Support staff.  This isn't the first time that the forum was ahead of Tech Support and probably won't be the last either.

I Plan to Stick Around

OK, but the problem has been known and acknowledged, it's a serious problem, why isn't the info channeled to tech support?

Why are they misleading customers saying its their routers, sending useless truck rolls wasting resources, wasting modem hardware on swaps, when it's just that...

They should be saying that there is a problem and it's being worked on, and a temporary solution is to swap down to the older CGN3 modem, while it has less wireless capability, it's at least stable and does not require power-cycling...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, absolutely agree with you.

I Plan to Stick Around

I guess my question would be, why has this only started occuring in the last few weeks?

I know from my end, I was having ping issues with a base CGN3. I upgraded to the AC, and my ping issues are gone, but now it crashes constantly, some days worse than others. Yesterday I had issues with speed (which were resolved by a reboot) and the LAN freezing issue.

Something happened with the rogers network a few weeks ago, and hasn't been fixed since, only changed.

My guess is it has to do with the infrastructure upgrade to allow 1gbps internet, but this is getting extremely frustrating.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Noobcamper wrote:

I guess my question would be, why has this only started occuring in the last few weeks?

I know from my end, I was having ping issues with a base CGN3. I upgraded to the AC, and my ping issues are gone, but now it crashes constantly, some days worse than others. Yesterday I had issues with speed (which were resolved by a reboot) and the LAN freezing issue.

Something happened with the rogers network a few weeks ago, and hasn't been fixed since, only changed.

My guess is it has to do with the infrastructure upgrade to allow 1gbps internet, but this is getting extremely frustrating.

That's exactly what happened, the gigabit upgrades have a new CMTS, and it's causing the issue. As more areas become upgraded, more people are seeing the issue.

I'm a Regular

Does anyone know if the new modem used for their gigabit service has the same problem?
I'm Here A Lot

I just recently upgraded I have not had the problem yet... Hopefully. I won't ever
I'm a Regular

I would try swapping the CGN3ACSMR for the gigabit service modem instead of downgrading to one of the others with latency issues. Even if we don't subscribe to the gigabit service, Rogers should allow us to upgrade to that newer modem free of charge. Who knows how long it's going to take them to resolve the problem with the ACSMR model.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Package: 100u ignite 100down 10up unlimited

Issue: every 18 hours the LAN port on the CGN3 modem dies (Modem in bridge mode).  The power, up/down arrows [blue], the @ symbol and the 2.4 Wifi symbol stay on.  The PC/network sybmol is off

Background: Switched from Teksavvy (NEVER had an issue) 30down 5up to Rogers ignite 100down 10up (Rogers had a great promo).  Ever since March 31, I've been having issues.

- I've swapped cabling  

- Changed the Modem 3x

- Changed the router (purchased a new one)

- Changed the cable connector (incase it was not grounded correctly)

- connected only a laptop wired directly to the Modem ( bridge mode and Gateway mode)

- powered off and disconnected power cables for 10 min on all equip in the house ( routers/switches/modems/PC's ect) 

physical network & congfig-

-  I live in a house in a sub-dividion that is about 2 years old.

- The Rogers modem (CGN3) is connected to a dedicated cable running from the rogers box outside.. Infact it is the only cable that runs from the Rogers box to the modem (no splitters in side my house)

I have 2 routers (down stairs/Upsatirs), a switch, 3 tablets, a PC, a Laptop, Synology NAS, VoIP modem (DHCP disabled), power line adapters and a Security DVR... (Please remember that I had the same devices when I was with TekSavvy - no issues)

- In the basement I have a TP-Link 4300.  From the WAN port the Cat5e cable connects to port 1 CGN3 modem (on the modem i see the following lights (Power, up/down arrow blue, the @ symbol, the network/PC (flashes rapidly) and the 2.4Ghz WiFi light [I was told by CSR this is a known bug in bridge mode].  The LAN port #1 on the CGN3 is flashing amber which is odd considering the TP-link 4300 has a gigabit WAN port [was told by CSR yellow =10/100 and green =1000

- connected to the LAN ports on my router in the basment

- Port#1 cable to power line adaptor at the electrical panel 

- Port #2 Security DVR

Connected to the power line adaptor upstairs

- a Switch - devices connected [ Synology NAS, PC, VoIP modem and a second rounter)

**The second router is connected as a wiFi extender only.

Dealings with CSR

- First rep told me that see a possible issues (they dispatched Intech communications)  Intech showed up outside of their window and I was not home but he tested the line and said it was clean.... I'm assuming that he tested the line from the rogers box back to the disturbtuion node [said he was going to refer the call to Mantenance]??

- Second rep -  who was very knowledgable and we seemed to be going somewhere ( We got disconnected) but he did tell me about the bug in the CGN3 modem where the 2.4 Ghz WiFi light stays on in bridge mode

Third rep - ran some test but could not see past the modem in bridge mode said that every thing was clean and was going to open a ticket (I called when the LAN port on the modem had no lights so they could run tests).  She did suggest that its probably something environmental and that it was highly unlikely that 3 modems and a 2 routers would be defective [ I would have to agree]

I moved the CGN3 modem and my router away from my electrical panel and connected the power to its own socket (no extension cords or power bars)....

could it possibly be the cable from the rogers box to the basement? what would the tech have tested at my house ( the cable running inside my house, the cable from the rogers box to the node or both??)

Any other suggestions would be great!  Keep in mind that these issues started after I changed ISP's... when everything is up and running the speeds are great  (last test  120down 11.56 up) 

Power cycling the modem resolves the issue for another 18 hrs